Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best buy?

Options
  • 21-05-2006 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

hi all, new to boards, some great advice here.

Wondering if anyone could advise me on the following. Thinking of changing current car (00 Laguna Concorde)

Have 4 cars in mind...

02/03 BMW 520i full spec (leather, a/c etc.)
    02 Jag X Type full spec
    02/03 MB CLK 200 full spec
    or
    05 Volvo S40 2.0 D SE full spec

Any one in particular better over the others? Main points for me are comfort (long distances), a bit of power, and safety. Appreciate your comments!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

I'd recommend for that price range to find a late model E-Class, one fo the face life models from 02. All the kinks worked out by then and is excellent on long drives. Automatic obviously and at least a V6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

coolmoose wrote:
    hi all, new to boards, some great advice here.

Wondering if anyone could advise me on the following. Thinking of changing current car (00 Laguna Concorde)

Have 4 cars in mind...

02/03 BMW 520i full spec (leather, a/c etc.)
    02 Jag X Type full spec
    02/03 MB CLK 200 full spec
    or
    05 Volvo S40 2.0 D SE full spec

Any one in particular better over the others? Main points for me are comfort (long distances), a bit of power, and safety. Appreciate your comments!

Thanks!

The 5 series hands down I reckon. It's a bigger car then the Jag and Volvo, and the Merc is a coupe.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The 5 series definately, or an A6

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Hadn't though of the A6, anyone have one or have any comments on them?

Thanks for the replies folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A6 a less obvious alternative to a BM or merc. not as much prestige. but has an understated elegance. Use of aluminium on some panels and some of the structure keeps weight down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i would go for bmw 5 series or i love the new shape A6.
    how much would you have to spend so we can pick out some cars for you.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Funny line up...

The Volvo is built on the same platform as the Mazda 3 and Ford Focus. Surely you can't compare that to the other 3?

The X-type is a glorified Ford Mondeo with 4WD that looks like a Jaguar. Surely you can't compare that to the remaining two cars?

Leaves the CLK and the 5-series. Now it depends on your needs and likes. If you don't need 4 doors and are keen on the looks of the coupe and you don't particularly need a great drivers car but comfort is very important, go for the CLK. Depreciation will be low provided you pick a fully loaded one (at least auto and leather)

Note that the CLK is a 1.8l and the 520i is a 2.2l. Performance is similar because the Merc uses a supercharger. Neither are fast, nor are they slow with 0-100km/h acceleration figures of around 10s

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

unkel wrote:
    The X-type is a glorified Ford Mondeo with 4WD that looks like a Jaguar. Surely you can't compare that to the remaining two cars?

That does it make it any intrinsically worse a car than a BMW/Merc. It is quite a nice looking car, definately the most handsome of the selection on offer.

If I had to pick one I would probably go for the Volvo, but that is purely because I like diesels.

The 5 series is probably a fine car, but looks as dull a car can. Merc's are just living off their once proud reputation and the CLK isn't a pretty sight either.

Go with the Jag.

budget of around 30-35k. ive driven the volvo before and found it to be a great car, but dont know much about owning one.

ive heard some great things about the xtype, and buddy has a clk which he loves. as for the 5 series - always had a thing for them since ive been a little fella! a6 seems like a new contender, dont know much about them tbh. same for the e class.

in essence im looking for a nice comfortable car, with all the comforts, thats nice to drive on long trips (north to south regularly).

finding it hard to make my mind up! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

coolmoose wrote:
    finding it hard to make my mind up! :D

Then pay attention, 007! :p

Do you want a small family car (Volvo), a family saloon (X-type), a large executive saloon (5-series) or an executive coupe (CLK)?

If you're happy with the Volvo, sure go for it and save half your budget. It'd be by far the cheapest car to own anyway

Would you return the favour and explain to us how you came up with your list of 4 cars?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

unkel wrote:
    Would you return the favour and explain to us how you came up with your list of 4 cars?

Yes, for it is an unusual selection.

the list is really just from the top of my head! always liked jags and bmws, and now can finally afford one (new job! :D)

tbh, i'm not looking for a large/family/coupe in particular, just like those 4 particular cars but don't know which would b best for me. no kids (yet!), no need for tow-hitch etc.

will be moving up country with new job, and driving back to cork regularly (every 2 weeks min) around a 5 /5.5 hr drive each way. want to be able to enjoy the ride!

all are full spec btw. general feeling im getting from people is 5 series or the jag?

Advertisement