Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL - Checking usage

• 21-05-2006 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

How? How do I check my net usage. It is going to be quite easy to go over my 40gb limit when I can do... this:

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6038/rapingapple4qt.jpg

And how are NTL in regards to charging people for going over the limit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

So far NTL haven't charged anyone for over use, as far as I know. Couple of people got letters to ask them not to download so much but that's all.

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

Could use Bitmeter, free to use, gives yup graph of sped up/down and can go in and check stas daily/wekly/monthly...not too sure how accurate but at least a good guideline.....

http://codebox.no-ip.net/controller?page=bitmeter2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

You mean they don't have any definitive way of you checking your usage... :confused:

How the hell could they charge you then if you're not aware you've gone over the limit? I've not been asked to use any sort of software to check how much I upload/download... Or is this all in the fine print?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

They don't charge you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

whuts teh point on the cap :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Cable infrastructure/data cost is the point....google is your friend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭keyran

It falls under the fair usage policy its not a cap per-say but a recommended usage guideline.

However I am sure with excessive high usage it may become a cap fairly quickly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

mang87 wrote:
    whuts teh point on the cap :confused:

If a person is going way over the cap every month and having an adverse effect on other people in their area, then NTL contacts the person and asks them to reduce their usage for the benefit of the other customers in their area.

This rarely happens.

If the user doesn't comply, then NTL can simply cancel the contract and remove them from the service. But this has never happened.

In fairness NTL has the fairest cap policy around, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Advertisement