Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What great artists do you hate?

Options
  • 21-05-2006 5:17pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭

By "great" I mean artists that are generally critically and commercially well regarded. But for whatever reason you just don't like. I'll start ...

Michael Jackson

It's not just because of his personal life but I truly dislike his music too. The only good thing I have to say about him is that he's a good dancer, but I turn the station off his music comes on.

U2

Just don't get them at all. One or two songs are passable, radio friendly stuff, but in general I find their songs to be just drab and boring.

Now your turn ....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

U2, Simply Red, Travis, M People

There's probably lots more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Pink Floyd
    I cant put my finger on it I just really dont like them

The Police
    There is practicly no one in the world I dislike more than sting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Bob Dylan - good songwriter, awful singer

u2- I just find them intolerable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Duff_Man

erm u2 are on teh top cause i rly just dont like em. hate them wit a fiery passion especially bono..coldplay aswel for sme reason as above and james blunt. thats about it cept for all the emo stuff but thats not critically acclaimed "great" now is it":P

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

Artic Monkeys, Baby Shambels...

I mean .. wtf... this is what the kids ;-) are into these days... what a joke... i listened to other bands like kasabian and stuff and are actually pretty decent... but my god for all the hype how brutal are artic monkeys... :eek:

-A

p.s. for guitar music i grew up with pixes/janes addicition/stone roses etc... so others can feel free to slate them :D

oh yeah ...goes without saying... U2 are total rubbish... only ever had one good song, (sunday bloody sunday) in my opinion...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

aloleary wrote:
    Artic Monkeys, Baby Shambels...

I mean .. wtf... this is what the kids ;-) are into these days... what a joke... i listened to other bands like kasabian and stuff and are actually pretty decent... but my god for all the hype how brutal are artic monkeys... :eek:

-A

p.s. for guitar music i grew up with pixes/janes addicition/stone roses etc... so others can feel free to slate them :D

oh yeah ...goes without saying... U2 are total rubbish... only ever had one good song, (sunday bloody sunday) in my opinion...
    excuse me but the topic said great artists, i don't think artic monkeys and babyshambles fit under that. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Stones Roses, The Smiths, The Who, Coldplay

All very one dimensional in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Bixmoo

U2, Coldplay, Snow Patrol, Damien Rice, The Magic Numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Queen.
    Radiohead.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

There's a lot of U2 in this thread, i like it!!

Cher is another one, oh and bon jovi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 misefreisin

damien rice, u2 and madonna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

The Killers, The Darkness. Basically any band that you find yourself singing along to and then realise that you hate them.

Guns and Roses - Sweet Child of Mine springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

delighted with all the u2 bashing goin on here!!

worst band EVER. and as for bono.....

pink floyd, zepplin, rolling stones, destinys child, damien dempsey, simply red. all disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

if you mean big and successful, i'll have to go with, the two brides of satan incarnate...

Mariah Carey and Celine Dion:eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

U2, easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

I think it is strange that people are mentioning bands that they don't like and suggesting that people think they are great bands. Destiny's Child are a popular band but not a great band, people know it is pop music and don't cliam it is great. Some of the bands here aren't old enough to be great. Only one or two albums should exclude you from the list

U2 is an example of a band people think is great but others may hate musically.

Great bands I hate,
    Nirvana
    Oasis
    Police

Great bands I am not bothered about

Beatles
    Beach Boys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

U2 - i just dont get the big deal with them!
    Coldplay - so depressing music and chris martins voice annoys me!
    Simply Red - dont no where to begin with this one!
    Mariah Carey - Such a diva, up her own ass, **** songs and annoying!

the list could probably continue.........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Most of the above but I have to mention U2 and Nirvana again.

:eek: at the Pink Floyd and Led Zepplin mentions though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

:eek: at the Pink Floyd and Led Zepplin mentions though.

Have to agree...you'd need to be some pampered tweenie to hate stuff like that, especially PF...

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

The Smiths

Oasis

Paul Weller

Motorhead

Rod Stewart

And I dont have much against them but I really dont understand the whole Artic Monkeys thing. Not so long ago everyone I knew was telling me to check them out and when I did I couldnt see the difference between them and all the other generic muck floating around the dodgy sky digital channels, what is original about them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Coldplay
    Snow Patrol
    I don't need to justify myself here do I?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

A few more from me -

Agree with those who've said Simply Red. Just hate MH and their music doesn't make up for it.

Also agree with Bob Dylan - great writer, awful singer (though I am going to see him in Kilkenny - he is a legendary writer)

If I was asked this question a few years ago I definitely would have said The Beatles. I don't mind them so much now, but if I can nominate songs instead of artists I'd like to nominate Hey Jude and Yesterday and Penny Lane.

I'm no tweenie, but I'm tempted to nominate Pink Floyd too. I really, really want to like them, and have tried so hard, but they don't do it for me like others.

Also like to nominate Nicks / Buckingham era Fleetwood Mac. Just don't like it at all.

And :cool: on all the nominations for U2. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

David Gray......hate his voice and music with a passion :mad:
    Manic Street Preachers...yawn.something about them just really irritates me

i hate james blunt,but in no way is he a "great artist"

i also dislike Coldplay,although i wouldnt say i "HATE them"..some songs are okay but chris martin cannot sing.i mean REALLY cant sing.jack johnsons music is annoying,but again,"hate" is too strong a word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

THe manic Street Preachers were initially acknowledged as a crap band and then I turned my back and people were going on about them. A really strange one as they hadn't improved.

I get some of the dislike for older bands like Zep, the Stones (rolling that is) as they don't sound new and shocking as they did. I lent a mix cd I had to a guy I worked with and he said he liked it but told me some of the songs were a rip off of people he liked. He claimed a zep song was a copy of Pearl Jam etc... It was laughable but many people just don't know the importance of some of the older bands.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

U2, Iron maidon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

U2.
    Coldplay.
    Any indie band that calls itself a "rock 'n' roll" band.
    Damien rice.
    The Beatles.
    Eric Clapton.
    Most blues guitarists w/ possible exception of Rory Gallagher.

Black Sabbath. Definitely Black Sabbath.
    The Undertones.
    Guns 'n' Roses.
    Bob Dylan.
    The Eagles.
    Bon Jovi.
    Most of Jimi Hendrix' stuff.
    Van Halen.
    Norah Jones.
    Any R'n'B styled female vocalist w/ possible exception of Mariah Carey.

...The list goes on and on and on...

Oh, and another band that I don't necessarily hate, but do seem horribly overrated are Opeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Bon Jovi is awful, U2 is overrated completely, and the worst of them all is probably theis bloke called James ****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Oh, and another band that I don't necessarily hate, but do seem horribly overrated are Opeth.

Black Sabbath:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: and Opeth:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: J/K

I would have to say U2 and RHCP

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

U2.
    Coldplay.
    Any indie band that calls itself a "rock 'n' roll" band.
    Damien rice.
    The Beatles.
    Eric Clapton.
    Most blues guitarists w/ possible exception of Rory Gallagher.

The Undertones.
    Guns 'n' Roses.
    Bob Dylan.
    The Eagles.
    Bon Jovi.
    Most of Jimi Hendrix' stuff.
    Van Halen.
    Norah Jones.
    Any R'n'B styled female vocalist w/ possible exception of Mariah Carey.

...The list goes on and on and on...

Ahh comon Mariah Carey but not Jimi Hendrix :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The Beatles, Oasis, Rolling Stones. I just can't listen to them - don't know why - I just can't.

Advertisement