Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What great artists do you hate?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

THe manic Street Preachers were initially acknowledged as a crap band and then I turned my back and people were going on about them. A really strange one as they hadn't improved.

I think that coincided with the disappearance of Richie. Suddenly all the NME/MM hacks who slated them day in day out went all serious and appreciative of them. Bloody hypocrites.

Oasis - can't actually articulate how much I hate them:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Bob Marley - I just don't see the appeal at ALL!!

And Simply Red is definitely a given - no one is arguing with that one are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Were Simply Red known as a great group/artist????:confused:

Can't listen to Damien Rice. I'd rather listen to Mariah Carey moan on than Damien Rice.

Used to be a fan of Red Hot Chilli Peppers but jesus that new song drives me nuts its so bad!! And on the frickin radio non-stop!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

Dudess wrote:
    I think that coincided with the disappearance of Richie. Suddenly all the NME/MM hacks who slated them day in day out went all serious and appreciative of them. Bloody hypocrites.

Oasis - can't actually articulate how much I hate them:mad:

Even before your man disappeared they were getting massive praise and then he disappeared. I actually met him before he went missing. He got really mad becasue I pointed at his mutilated arm and siad he should have put "fu*king stupid" on it.

I can't stand Oasis either but am quite surprised at the hate for the Stones. I think the fact they kept going has tainted the mass of good work they produced and the reissues every week don't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Wertz wrote:
    Have to agree...you'd need to be some pampered tweenie to hate stuff like that, especially PF...
    no no no...y'see that's the point of the thread. I've tried to like Pink Floyd. I've listened to them with an open mind, thinking 'the world and his wife rates 'dark side of the moon' as top notch stuff' so it's bound to be good'

it just didn't do it for me. So i borrowe Echoes of a pal of mine. Perhaps it's just the 1973 stuff that wasn't for me, but there's plenty more in the ouvre. Nope. Nothing really grabbed me by the short'n'curlies and refused to let go.

Can't explain it. To be cliched, it's obvious that x gazillion Pink Floyd fans can't be 'wrong' per se, but I'll disagree with every man jack of them!

Ditto for the Smiths; I can appreciate perhaps 5 or 6 of their songs and just can't get beyond them after that.

Might as well row in with everybody else on the board and say that Paul McGuinness' showband from Finglas (© Scrap Saturday, 1990!) don't really float me boat either. Angel of Harlem is still my favourite song by them, and that's probably 'cos it doesn't sound like them!

Coldplay. Whinging betwetters the lot of 'em.

Radiohead...don't start me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭YeAh!

Kooli wrote:
    Bob Marley - I just don't see the appeal at ALL!!

And Simply Red is definitely a given - no one is arguing with that one are they?
    Know exactly how you feel about Bob Marley! Cannot for the life of me see how he has such a following. My hairdressers tendency to sing/bellow Bob Marley while she is cutting my hair may have had some influnce on my hatred for the man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Have we got all night?

Damien Rice, U2, The Smiths, Bon Jovi (most definitely Bon Jovi), The White Stripes, Franz Ferdinand (oh God I really hate them), the Kaiser Chiefs, the RHCP since Californication, The Stone Roses (and yet I like Ian Brown's solo stuff... Strange, no?), loads more too...

Oh, and Pete f**king Doherty.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Charm Offensive

Taking the thread title to mean "Which allegedly great artists do you dislike and can't understand the hype behind" (rather than HATE), then I'll say: The Pixies, Primal Scream, Green Day, The Postal Service (and I'm a huge DCFC fan), The White Stripes... that's about it. Hating bands/artists is bit of a waste of time, why don't you just try and expand your musical horizons so there's more stuff you can say you do like, instead of having aneurysms about how terrible you think U2 are? All these posts saying "wow I'm glad to see so much U2 bashing going on lolz!!1" are a bit pathetic if you ask me. And I ain't no U2 fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

that's about it. Hating bands/artists is bit of a waste of time, why don't you just try and expand your musical horizons so there's more stuff you can say you do like, instead of having aneurysms about how terrible you think U2 are?

Hating things is fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Hating things is fun

"Can hate be good? Can hate be great?
    Can hate be good, can hate be great, can hate be something we don't hate?"

*whistles*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 chris01

quickbeam wrote:
    By "great" I mean artists that are generally critically and commercially well regarded. But for whatever reason you just don't like. I'll start ...

Michael Jackson

It's not just because of his personal life but I truly dislike his music too. The only good thing I have to say about him is that he's a good dancer, but I turn the station off his music comes on.

U2

Just don't get them at all. One or two songs are passable, radio friendly stuff, but in general I find their songs to be just drab and boring.

Now your turn ....

I can agree with you there micheal jacksons personal life messed up everything for him if it wasnt for all the madness i recon he would be one of the best musicians of all time. I mean his thriller album is excellent and it sold over 50 million copies i heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I may get shot down because of this,

But I hate Damien Dempsey, I know he's supposed to be a modern day Bob Dylan or something, but his accent bugs the hell out of me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

my chemical romance, artic monkies, velvet revolver, some of U2's stuff, slayer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Barry Manilow *punches nose* :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ruu wrote:

You'll have to punch harder than that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

Meat loaf/ bon jovi / brian adams / any pop idol crappy stuff SHANE WARD nobody should be allowed to market music exclusively just for kids . and leave u2 alone they done a lot to put Ireland on the map .

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

Ruu wrote:
    good call forgot about old big nose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Red Hot Chilli Peppers and The Who

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

The clash, robbie williams, the ramones and bruce springsteen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

The Beatles. I mean, they had some good choons but produced some awful shíte too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭peustace

All this U2 bashin.. "A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house", all this ****e Bono gets in d press, yes his has an ego, but at least he had the balls along with the other 3 to drag themselves outta obscurity and reach the heights they've reached.

Most people hate U2 soley based on Bono and his personality. All his work with Africa shouldn't be critised in anyway. Its typical with us Irish that we find some fault in somebody else's good work.

And the post earlier on about Dylan not having a good singing voice should just give up. His voice makes his music, nobody else could sing what he wrote the way it should be sung!

God I love a good rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

U2/Coldplay - they're more or less interchangeable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Cardinal

U2. Their music is boring. I don't dislike Bono, I respect people with big egos. I just think their music is nothing special and I can't understand their massive following.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

U2, Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, Christina Agulaira, JayZ, no wait I despise JayZ, umm, and Westlife!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Dermington

Duff_Man wrote:
    erm u2 are on teh top cause i rly just dont like em. hate them wit a fiery passion especially bono..coldplay aswel for sme reason as above and james blunt. thats about it cept for all the emo stuff but thats not critically acclaimed "great" now is it":P

Stop using text speak please

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I would say U2, The Beatles, Eminem and Nirvana (in a very big way).

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    peustace wrote:
    All this ****e Bono gets in d press, yes his has an ego, but at least he had the balls along with the other 3 to drag themselves outta obscurity and reach the heights they've reached.

U2 did the exact same as any band who were ever famous. The fact is that U2 eminate a particular persona which I really dislike, in addition to which I do not like the music so at this stage its impossible for me to like a band whose music I dislike and who's very personality wrecks my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

U2
    Coldplay
    Rabbi Williams
    The Beatles(s)
    The Eagles
    U2 ( I hate them twice as much as the others )

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

the beatles
    nirvana
    guns and roses
    coldplay
    david gray
    van morrison
    chilli peppers

any "run of the mill", 10 a penny, sh!tty guitar band thats out these days - wont bother trying to name them. All the same, all rubbish (and most of em appearing at oxegen this year!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Why are people including Pop Idol stuff, Westlife etc? Read the title of the thread again. It's "What GREAT artists do you hate". Not "What artists do you hate". Even then, Westlife, Shane Ward etc wouldn't get a look-in because the word "artists" is in there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Reading all the posts U2 are getting a bashing. Have a lot of bad stuff yes but I wouldn't but be on my list!

My list

The Beatles - I would need a whole website to explain!
    Ian Brown (Stone Roses had good stuff)
    RHCP - Just getting worse!

Short but these are 3 big names who I dislike very much...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

pink floyd

i hve serious doubts about people who dont like the beatles ;)

Advertisement