Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car accident (my fault) insurance question

Options
  • 21-05-2006 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

hi,
    had a minor accident, hit someone from behind, you can even see the damage on either cars, anyway he wants his bumper replaced and any other unseen damage which is only fair, now he said his back was abit stiff, it was a 10 mph crash, so ok maybe it is and will probably claim , anyway if i go through my insurance with quinn direct does your premium go up much, i have 1 year no claims bonus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

you will probably lose your no claims bonus and as a result your premium will be higher when you renew it.

you would be better off paying it out of your own pocket if you can afford it, it may work out cheaper in the long run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If you setttled this on your own, does the person you're are paying have to sign a document stating that settlement is complete and they can't claim after that?
    Could you prepare one of these documents yourself or do you need the services of a solicitor?

Just wondering if you pay them and maybe two months later they claim again for other injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jpboyne

thats a good point micmclo,
    I'm not sure because i would be up the creek if that happened to me, i might find out what the story is with that? but where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm sure someone here in this forum will know. It's a goldmine of information

Someone I know was in a similar kind of accident to you. He paid the lady he hit x amount of money and knocked up some sort of document stating that this was final settlement.

However, I'm sure any solicitor or law student would find loopholes in it. Luckily,she never tried another claim but you mightn't be so lucky so as the guy you hit is injured. In fairness, judging from your original post, I'd say he genuinely is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jpboyne

eh,
    i hit a jag, his car didnt budge, my corsa bounced about 4 foot back, he got aout and was ranting and raving, i was quite sore ill admit, but he didnt seem injured, i asked did he want an ambulance, he said no but im a wee bit sore... so i reckon hes in the a&e as we speak, he got hit from behind, he will have no problem claiming, from what i hear you cant dispute a whiplash claim

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

tbh you may be better off going thru insurance, it's a claim so you will lose your NCB and if this guy decides to go all whiplash on you, it might not be a good idea handling it yourself.

Your premium will increase, but not by as much as you'd think...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

don't settle outside of insurance. you may well have injured him. safer to go through insurance

Advertisement