Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Loan

Options
  • 21-05-2006 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

Hey got a deposit put down on a 99 astra at the mo and goin to the bank tomorrow for a car loan.

Just wondering if anyone would know how long it takes to get approved for one, as in a few days or would they approve it on the spot?

And also if it is approved do they give it straight to the dealer or give myself the cash for it?

Cheers folks. Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Normally approved within 3 hours or so. They can do an EFT to the Dealer for you, or give you a draft to bring to the garage. If they transfer funds to the Dealership, get them to phone the garage to confirm it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I presume it is just a normal car loan you are getting and not finance? As far as I know a normal car loan should take no more than a couple of hours to approve in principal if you already have an account with the same bank. If approved they usually deposit the amount into your account after a few days. You can then get a draft made out to the garage in question.

If you are getting finance (hire purchase agreement) then the bank deals with the garage directly, you don't see a cent of the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Darando

Dont just go to your own bank either. Look around for the best rate and conditions, i.e. can you pay it off early? pay off extra amount if you have some extra cash that month etc. also fixed against variable (anyone know if rates will go up much???) some places will give you free aa/rac with a car loan.

g/f recently was looking recently and i think tesco had a good rate. www.tesco.ie

And yes, there are as many options for car loans as there are places selling cars!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

donot rush out and get a car loan.make sure you get a good dealas they will scam you if you rush and say yes to them.be aware.
    i got mine at 6.5 last year so look around.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Would you not have been better of getting the loan first...?

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote:
    Would you not have been better of getting the loan first...?
    yes thats what i would have thought.i donot think he knows what hes up for.as on the last minute dealers or banks donot give good deals they know you just want a quick loan:mad: .thats what i did 1st ,i researched who was cheapest and got approved by them ,then went out and got the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

Alright folks. I actually got a decent one of my own bank,over the course of 3 years il only pay back an extra 650 on 5000. i dont reckon thats too bad. And im actually paying back less per month than i was when with the credit union. Either way im happy out and cars going well, so fingers crossed.

Cheers again!

TOPDAWG wrote:
    Alright folks. I actually got a decent one of my own bank,over the course of 3 years il only pay back an extra 650 on 5000. i dont reckon thats too bad. And im actually paying back less per month than i was when with the credit union. Either way im happy out and cars going well, so fingers crossed.

Cheers again!

so what rate did you get and from what bank.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

5000 seems dear for a 99 Astra though I'm pleased at that as the Mrs will be selling here 00 Astra in the near future and I thought the price range would be a lot less than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

That does seem very high for a 99.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Who said hes paying 5k for a 99 astra?

He could be getting money out for insurance, alloys, go faster stripes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

How much is the car??

I have a 1999 Astra 87k miles on the clock. Just wondering about a price check.

I have quiet awhile till I reach my target of 200k miles. Not too long to the half way mark hoefully :D

As with above shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

It was 4,500. in immaculate conditon.60,000 on the clock and serviced and a brand new timing belt in her.

To the person asking about the rates, i went for the fixed rate of 157 a month for 36 months with aib. over 24 months it would have been 228 a month.

Im delighted with her and from talking to anyone else who has an astra ive been told (and i knew myself beforehand) that it was a great price for that.

(Sorry i keep referring to it as HER,shes my baby! ha ha)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Do you have a credit union account? I got a 3k loan for a car and the total cost over 12months was around €60. It was an old account I didnt use and there was no money in it. The cost of your loan is over 10 times that. I know its more money and a longer term but the CU is cheap.

Advertisement