Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Licks and Runs

Options
  • 21-05-2006 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭

Whats te difference, could anyone tell me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I wouldn't really differentiate personally, to be honest. They're just little tags a guitarist sticks on a short chunk of interesting guitar they want to hold onto really, call them whatever you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

that's what i thought, but the other day i was jammin and i was told to use runs rather than licks over this piece when improvising

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Licks (I think) are generally shorter bursts of notes, a run on the other hand (I think) is a longer lasting lick, let's say, usually in realtion to a scale or a mode, you "run" through it, or someting, bleurgh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Runs usually go straight from low notes to high notes or vice-versa I think. Licks are just short little riffs... or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

obl wrote:
    that's what i thought, but the other day i was jammin and i was told to use runs rather than licks over this piece when improvising

a run might be more scalar than a lick, a lick might be an arpeggiated motif but tbh they're both open to interpretation

• Advertisement
Advertisement