Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What would YOU buy?

Options
  • 21-05-2006 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

I'm a 23 year old student. Got a good but of driving experience, but only on the back roads in the old bangers at home. I want to buy my first car next January - getting insured for six months on the family car at home from June to make sure I'm experienced.

Aaaanyway, I want a bit of help from you people on what car I should buy. I want something solid that'll get me through the next 3 years of college without (A) going out of date too quickly, (B) killing me on tax or insurance (never driven on someone's insurance before, or been insured myself) or (C) break down and need a lot of service! Oh, and it'd help if it looked cool too!

So, my budget's going to be €4,000. It might be helpful to give a list of cars I like (the Focus, the Avensis, the Audi A3, the older (97-00) Primera (before they ****ed it up), the older (97-2002) Civic, and so on. Surprisingly enough I like Renaults as well, especially the Cleo and the Megane. Not a fan of smaller BoyToys like the Corsa, Fiesta, and so on. Oh, and I refuse to drive anything with a "Citroen" namebadge on it!

Anyway I'm clearly not looking for someone do the work and pick out something for me. What I am looking for is ideas - what would you buy with that budget?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

I'm a 23 year old student. Got a good but of driving experience, but only on the back roads in the old bangers at home. I want to buy my first car next January - getting insured for six months on the family car at home from June to make sure I'm experienced.

Aaaanyway, I want a bit of help from you people on what car I should buy. I want something solid that'll get me through the next 3 years of college without (A) going out of date too quickly, (B) killing me on tax or insurance (never driven on someone's insurance before, or been insured myself) or (C) break down and need a lot of service! Oh, and it'd help if it looked cool too!

So, my budget's going to be €4,000. It might be helpful to give a list of cars I like (the Focus, the Avensis, the Audi A3, the older (97-00) Primera (before they ****ed it up), the older (97-2002) Civic, and so on. Surprisingly enough I like Renaults as well, especially the Cleo and the Megane. Not a fan of smaller BoyToys like the Corsa, Fiesta, and so on. Oh, and I refuse to drive anything with a "Citroen" namebadge on it!

Anyway I'm clearly not looking for someone do the work and pick out something for me. What I am looking for is ideas - what would you buy with that budget?

a couple of days ago, i had the same budget, same cars in mind and went hunting around the garages.

the meganes safety record coupled with the fact it looks half modern and isn't a wee midget attracted me to it. €4000 exactly for a '00 renault megane hatchback. havn't looked back since :D (mind you, it is only the 3rd day of me having it)

apparently, the japs are your best option for reliability but if you're like me and just want something with an engine and 4 wheels, get something YOU like. you won't get a focus for that money by the way, believe me ive tried ;) another grand and you might.

Advertisement