Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360/Dell WS2600/Surround Sound

• 21-05-2006 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭

Ok guys, I know nothing about this sort of thing, so what I'm hoping to do may be impossible, however any help greatly appreaciated :)

Right, I've got an Xbox 360 connected to the Dell WS2600 using the component cable. Audio just going through the tv.
    I've got a set of Boston Accoustic BA7500s that are gathering dust and was wondering if its possible to hook these up to the tv or xbox to get surround sound?
    The BA7500 has a digital RCA input, while I think the connection on the component cable for the 360 is a S/PDIF?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Not possible with the current hardware. You will need to output the digital audio from the Xbox360 to a dedicated Dobly Digital (AC3) amp using a tos link cable.

K-TRIC wrote:
    Not possible with the current hardware. You will need to output the digital audio from the Xbox360 to a dedicated Dobly Digital (AC3) amp using a tos link cable.

Thanks for the info, any idea what a decent amp would cost?
    Its just in my bedroom so don't want to spend too much.
    Was hoping there would just be some adapter or cable with RCA one end and Toslink/ S/PDIF on the other :(

Edit: A cable like this http://peats.com/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=1136&type=6&path=11x153x601

From manual (this is cable I used for connection to PC):
    * Only use the Digital cable (with a 3.5mm RCA connector) supplied by Boston Acoustics with this product. Do not extend this cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

mcgovern wrote:
    From manual (this is cable I used for connection to PC):

From the look of the BA speaker set on the internet, I think it already has a DD decoder built in???

If it does, what you can do is buy a cheap optical cable (I got one in DID for dirt cheap - I think <€10) and try it out.

Otherwise a standalone DD decoder like the Jazz Speakers DE006 which I bought a couple of years ago for just over €100 should do the trick and plug into those speakers with standard headphone jack to headphone jack leads.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭uzami

http://www.trianglecables.com/pof-830.html

this convertor worked on my old xbox advanced SCART.

SCART > TosLink > Convertor > Digital Coax > Amp/Speakers

• Advertisement

Cool lads, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭uzami

i may have an old convertor knocking around if you can't get your hands on a new one

Advertisement