Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mega Drive

Options
  • 21-05-2006 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

I stumbled across my Sega Mega Drive the other day and decided to take it down and give it a run. But I cant find any of my games. I was just wondering do any of you know where I can get M.Drive games? I really want to play Golden Axe again, haha!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ebay is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Well I have falled in love ;) Please tell me you like football and drink pints too ;)

ebay is best as said already though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Bob Lawblaw

SNES all the way!

Although that Sonic fella was fast compared that fat Italian plumber. What was his name? Dave or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

SNES all the way!

Although that Sonic fella was fast compared that fat Italian plumber. What was his name? Dave or something?

I heard his name was "SNESISSH!T" :p

I had a megadrive and they rocked, I wanted a SNES though for street fighter and then we got it and I was like FU snes :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

There's a place on Talbot street that still had megadrive games last time I was in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

There's a place on Talbot street that still had megadrive games last time I was in there.
    Too true, although you might have to ask behind the counter or look to the left as you walk in the door beside those oh-so luscious Mega-CD games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Sega do what Nintendon't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I'd say Ebay is your best bet, you should be able to pick up a bunch real cheap there. Some might be just the game and manual (no box) though.

As for which one was best, pfff silly fanboys, I had both and I loved them dearly (though we got the megadrive first) :)
    Remember getting a Street Fighter on import (US version), things weren't as neat back then and you had to put a cartridge in the top of the SNES and the game on top of that, like a tower of cartridges. Ah nostalgia.

Holy crap (ebay).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

If you want to add to your Mega Drive collection, no collection is complete without Cyborg Justice and Streets of Rage 2, excellent games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I have a big huge bag of MD games, including Flashback, Mega-lo-mania, Landstalker, Virtua Racer...

...and you're not getting any of them!

Muahahaha etc

/me goes off to hug collection of 16-bit games

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pffft! Bloody retro n00bs. By far the best MD game is Gunstar Heroes and Rocket Knight Adventures. You must get your hands on those, although gunstar heroes will set you back about 80 stingers it's worth it.
    Remember getting a Street Fighter on import (US version), things weren't as neat back then and you had to put a cartridge in the top of the SNES and the game on top of that, like a tower of cartridges. Ah nostalgia.

Remember that as well but my friend used a much neater one were you but the PAL game into the side of the pass through cartridge. MD was great for imports. No region coding so all you had to do was hack away the plastic around the cartridge slot. Later games had protection though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Remember that as well but my friend used a much neater one were you but the PAL game into the side of the pass through cartridge.

That would have been handy. My adapter yoke broke eventually (overuse, lol). It had to be pushed in in a very particular way but even then it would stop working sometimes. It was a bit wobbly to start with though.

Remember my dad pioneering that technique with a pliers and saw. He put a bit ****ing scratch right down the front of it.

I bought Wonderboy 3: Monster Lair (ace game, don't know why it doesn't get more love) in a TV shop in Limerick. Gas, they were selling Japanese imports before there were any adaptors on the market. I wonder where they got them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Pffft! Bloody retro n00bs. By far the best MD game is Gunstar Heroes and Rocket Knight Adventures. You must get your hands on those, although gunstar heroes will set you back about 80 stingers it's worth it.

Oh 2 player Gunstar Heroes... ****ing sweet!

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Rocket Knight Adventures.
    Sparkster?

Awesome game, still as rewarding as most things consoles today has to offer, that and Metal Slug.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Rocket Knight Adventures was the first game that starred sparkster. It was amazing. Sparkster, the sequel, on the mega drive was a huge disappointment and was a bit dull. Sparkster on the SNES was excellent but couldn't match RKA.

Probotector/Contra Hard Corps is another MD classic. I prefer it to Contra 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ah all my megadrive games are at home and I think I had golden axe as well. Bought a snes from ebay for $50 about a month ago with 3 games, off ya go to ebay :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I got my collection from a combination of Ebay and Bookmart and Game exchange on Talbot street, halfway between Gardiner Street and Connolly station.
    And as for the best on the system, Thunderforce 3/4, EarthWorm Jim 1/2, Sensible Soccer and Road Rash 1/2/3 float my boat, not to mention Streets of rage 2, if you have the means grab a copy of Virtua Racing, aside from the 32X version its the best one thus far.
    Try to get the original MD, not the MD2, the later one looks like crap.
    If you can find a MegaCD get that too, Sonic CD and Earthworm Jim CD rock.

Add Snatcher, Lunar 1+2, Streets of Rage 3 (extremely rare unfortunately), Phantasy Star 4, Shining Force 1+2, Castlevania, Redzone, Dynamite Headdy, Robo Aleste, Mega Turrican, Ristar, Ranger X and Shining Force CD to that list.

Retrogamer hasn't a clue what he's on about. The best games on the Mega Drive are Shaq Fu, Fantasia, Final Blow, Rastan Saga II, Risky Woods, Super Hydlide and finally the three best non-sports games EA ever produced; Budokan, Sword of Sodan and Dark Castle.

• Advertisement

Sarcasm surpassed my intellect their for a minute. Those games are pure awful. I only realised when I saw Dark Castle there, the worst game ever made :D . I did like Budokan, when it was on the 286. It's awful now.

Last Battle which is based on Fist of the North Star is another MD game that is particularly awful.

If anyone wants to try and hunt down a little bit of videogame history they should track down Herzog Zwei. It is the first ever RTS game ever made. Dune 2 by C&C developers Westwood is usually mistaken as being the first but westwood even listed it as being a huge influence. It plays and looks very similar to Dune 2. Funnily enough the game was developed by japanese studio Technosoft who's other games are all hardcore shmups such as the Thunderforce series and Hyperduel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Local Goddess

Ah cheers, just really want to play all those games again. They just dont make them nowadays like they used to!:D I want to play mortal kombat, shinobi(I dont think i spelled that right!), sonic and knuckles,etc. again!

You are better off playing Mortal Kombat on mame. The megadrive version of MK1, 2 and 3 are awful.

For the most part any Mortal Kombat games apart from the first on the SNES are just played for the fatalities... MK4 had some spectacular ones.

But Mortal Kombat 1 for the SNES was a little masterpiece.

MK2 is a fantastic fighting game. After that they were dumbed down. The SNES MK2 was probably the best version. MK1 on the SNES was arcade perfect except for the removal of the fatalities.

Yeah its a quality game, I like the backdrops they play against, they're interesting

Street fighter 2 was always a far better game. That game hasn't aged one bit. It's still probably the best fighting game ever made.

The MK games were alot of fun, and looked very interesting. But much like Killer Instinct it was pretty easy to break the balance. Fun in singleplayer but it was completely unsuitable for tournament play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I stumbled across my Sega Mega Drive the other day and decided to take it down and give it a run. But I cant find any of my games. I was just wondering do any of you know where I can get M.Drive games? I really want to play Golden Axe again, haha!
    Your timing couldn't be better, there's a new game coming out for the Mega Drive:

http://www.beggarprince.com/

• Advertisement

That looks deadly!Ill have to give it a look see. I love Street Fighter as well, I probably like them both the same. S.F. is a classic, its the ultimate of beat em ups. Do you remember Games Master, that was brilliant!

Advertisement