Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine Transplant and insurance

Options
  • 21-05-2006 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have experience with getting insurance on a car with an engine transplant?

I'm insured with quinn direct at the moment on my daily driver car but I'm looking to buy another car to carry out the transplant on but I'm wondering will any insurance company insure it? Any advice would be great, also does anybody know if you can get 'weekend' or limited insurance on a second car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bspoke

AFAIK you will have to do the transplant and then get an engineers report done before any insurance compnay will touch you. Pain the the swiss though. You could fork out god knows how much to shoe horn a V8 into a mini and then the insurance compay turns around and says 'eh no thanks'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I thought the NCT was now sufficient enough to deem if the transplant was okay? Were engineer reports not need years ago befor the NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

no a full engineers report will be needed to be given to the insurance company.

an NCT will definetly not be sufficent to prove an engine transplant has been carried out to a high standard and is safe.

you should ring up insurance companies and ask will they insure you in the car with a transplant, you may get it done and then find out no one will insure you even with an engineers report

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I know certain companies insure the car with the details of the donor engine car - eg, stick a Type R Integra engine in your CRX and you pay the same as what you'd pay on the Type R.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ANTO D10 DUB

also worth knowing is the engine has to be of the same year or newer than the chassis , and that's a govermemt regulation .
    something i found myself when i was swopping over civic engine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement