Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not allowed to snag??

Options
  • 21-05-2006 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

myself and my partner are buying a showhouse and are due to sign final contracts in a weeks time. when i asked about going to do my snag list i was referred to the builders office, who in turn told me not to be ridiculous as you do not snag a showhouse!! i found this very strange as there are definitly things that need to be done to the house. has anyone else experienced or heard of this??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 B.Rubble

I haven't heard of this before ... but to be honest what they are saying sounds absolutely ridiculous.

A new house is a new house and they have to let you snag it. I did hear about someone who bought one of the showhouses in the Wood and got the builders to do a lot of work before they took it as it had come in for a good deal of wear and tear while open to the public.

Personally I go and demand to snag it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I thought that if you bought the showhouse, you were buying it "as is".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I don't mean to sound off, but if you buy a showhouse, surely it should be in "Showhouse condition"?

In theory there should be no need to snag it, as they'd be sure the house was perfect. After all, who would buy a house if they could see the showhouse had settling cracks or poor plasterwork?

That said, you could be within your rights to ask them to address wear and tear. A fresh coat of paint on the walls & doors and a professional carpet & upholstry clean may be in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

Have been in and out of those showhouses for over a year, and they ALL need some work done.. cracked tiles, chipped doors, walls, window frames need varnishing, carpets a mess, etc. As Marcais says, get your solicitor on this, or else negociate a discount with Durkan for the price of the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭TnJ

Liam81 wrote:
    myself and my partner are buying a showhouse and are due to sign final contracts in a weeks time. when i asked about going to do my snag list i was referred to the builders office, who in turn told me not to be ridiculous as you do not snag a showhouse!! i found this very strange as there are definitly things that need to be done to the house. has anyone else experienced or heard of this??
    Liam81,

I'd definitely advise you to hold firm on this one. I've been in the showhouses and although they look pretty good 'cosmetically', there is a considerable amount of work required such as sanding & varnishing of floors (which look like the surface of a golf ball), repainting of walls, replastering cracks, etc. You MUST demand that this work is completed before you close the sale. Remember, you can have signed the contracts and given your deposit, but the developer will not be able to receive the rest of the €€€ until the sale closes. Believe it or not but this is a key opportunity for you to exert some influence over the builders. They will want to close the sale as much as you, but hold strong, and demand that the entire house IS in showhouse condition, i.e. perfect throughout. They will try their mindgame crap, trying to tell you everything is perfect, but take no prisioners!

Ps - dont forget to check garden drainage

• Advertisement
Advertisement