Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking/Broadband Help

• 21-05-2006 11:06pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm having horrible problem with my wireless network at home. I'm with UTV for broadband, they provide a Creative Broadband Blaster router. I then have a Linksys WRK54G connected to it for the wireless setup. At the time of setup I was unable to get it to work myself so I got someone else to do it for me, not sure of all the setting but I just remeber that usualy you set the linksys to obtain ip address automaticaly, but this would not work so all the IP addresses had to be specified. The Creative modem was on 192.168.1.1 and the linksys wireless was on 192.168.1.2. IT had been working fine for ages, up until recently.

I was trying to get access to a work VPN on my new work laptop, but for some reason it would not work so they changed my broadband settings, not exactly sure what they did though. Anyway, now, I can connect to the internet fine on my new work laptop, but my Desktop PC can no longer get access. It can find and connect to the wireless network fine, but I can't get any pages to load up. Also I am unable to get into the settings for either device. 192.168.1.1 or any other combination of numbers don't respond at all!

I can't work out why the laptop can surf fine but the desktop can not get anything.

Here, Here and Here are some screenshots of the settings I thnk before the changes were made, hopefully it will give some clues.

If anyone has any pointers I would appreciate some help.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Can you post output of ipconfig /all from work lappy and desktop please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Check your DNS entry for you connection. Your third screenshot shows the DNS at 192.168.1.X You should check your providers suggested DNS enteries and substitute those values in. My twopence :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

degsie is right. Your providers DNS settings go in the two input boxes.

Try these:
    Primary: 194.46.192.141
    Secondary: 194.46.192.142

:)

You can use the ip address of your router as your dns server. Provided it's configured with your ISP dns servers it will resolve all requests for the client machines. So using 192.168.1.1 is not necessarily wrong.

But I think you're on the right route. I was guessing DNS prob as well, so want to see the config of the laptop and compare it to the desktop.

The way I would set it up would be to set ip address of Creative rotuer to 192.168.1.1 and switch off its dhcp. Set Linksys to 192.168.1.2 and enable it's dhcp to give out addresses in the 192.168.2.X range.

Alternatively if you can put Creative into bridge mode nad get Linksys to handle the connection setup in place of the creative.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

When I do ipconfig /all a dos box pops up for a second and then dissappears... any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

type in "cmd" in the Run dialog first, that brings up command prompt, then type the "ipconfig /all".

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Duh, sorry, ok got it now cheers.

Ok so here are the

Ipconfig from Laptop
    Ipconfig from Desktop

I'm not sure what the 10.15.14.1 is but its probably somehting to do with the VPN for work...

What should I do now? Thanks for all your help.

Well looking at the ip addresses being assigned to the desktop and laptop wireless cards, you can see they are in different ranges. They should be the in the same range if they are using the same router.

How is your desktop configure to get an ip address? Using DHCP or is it static?

(Control Panel -> Network Connections. Right click on wireless connection, choose properties. Then double click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and tell us if "Optain an ip address automatically" is ticked or not. )

Cheers mate. Did that, and although I can't get any pages on the internet, skype works perfectly! Weird!

Well was it ticked or not???

• Advertisement

Cool I got it working! I set it to obtain IP address automatically and presto - surfing again. Thanks for all your help that was wrecking my head for ages.

I did an ipconfig /all and the ip addresses listed are:
    IP Address: 10.15.14.1
    Gateway/DHCP/DNS: 10.15.14.3

10.15.14.1 gets me into my UTV Router (previosuly 192.168.1.1) - which is great, exactly what I need. However I now need to get into my linksys wireless router (previosuly 192.168.1.2) How do I do this? Is there a way to tell/scan for the IP Address?

Advertisement