Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50 things I hate about Ireland - Number 42 Limerick

Options
  • 22-05-2006 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

From the Sunday Tribunes article - 50 Things I hate about Ireland

"42 Limerick
    Stab City has all the attractions of a funeral parlour and certainly less of the life. If there’s a grimier place in Ireland then please don’t let me know its identity."

Thought this was a bit harsh, I think anyone in Limerick this weekend would have to disagree with this!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Arathorn wrote:
    From the Sunday Tribunes article - 50 Things I hate about Ireland

"42 Limerick
    Stab City has all the attractions of a funeral parlour and certainly less of the life. If there’s a grimier place in Ireland then please don’t let me know its identity."

Thought this was a bit harsh, I think anyone in Limerick this weekend would have to disagree with this!!

Old predictable news.

Not many pay much attention to the Sunday Tribune these days anyway. Probably just looking to raise a bit of controversy to sell a few papers.

As you said the weekend's atmosphere in the city speaks alot louder than a few lines in some silly rag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

Arathorn wrote:
    "42 Limerick

:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Only number 42?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Limerick is clearly the answer to life, the universe and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Well it is feckin grimy here, I have to admit.
    Zero litter control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Wonderful - another post of Limerick people bashing Limerick.
    No wonder the whole country is happy to put us down when people like you are leading the charge.
    I think the scenes in Limerick over the weekend will do wonders to improve our reputation so give over with the negativity.

Crea wrote:
    No wonder the whole country is happy to put us down when people like you are leading the charge.
    I think the scenes in Limerick over the weekend will do wonders to improve our reputation so give over with the negativity.

Especially the vomit, the broken beer bottles, the cigarette butts, the trashed beer cans, the SUPERMACS wraps and the ABRAKEBABRA burger boxes on the street on sunday morning. What a great atmosphere!

Who did THIS? I know, it's all the newspapers fault!

IB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Crea wrote:

Limerick has problems, like any other city. Don't you think the first step to solving these problems is admitting that they exist?

cornbb wrote:
    Limerick has problems, like any other city. Don't you think the first step to solving these problems is admitting that they exist?

MT, 7.3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

IB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I think there's some merit in the criticism, whether we want to accept it or not. I don't think Limerick is grim, but it is a dirty city. However, on big match days, there's nowhere else in the country that compares to Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I think there's some merit in the criticism, whether we want to accept it or not. I don't think Limerick is grim, but it is a dirty city. However, on big match days, there's nowhere else in the country that compares to Limerick.

Agree with Amazontheamazing...

Another thing we should point out, Limerick is improving year on year in the Nationwide litter survey, It did a lot better than Cork for that matter.

Although there are serious litter spots in the city centre and some estates etc.

It's getting desperate, when it comes to bringing down Limerick, I really really just wonder why, as of now the stab city name is now history, crime in Limerick is nothing like what the media make it out to be. So what is the Media's agenda here, we know Dublin is trying to attract attention here, but why? It's pointless..

Back to the Litter and the grim issue...
    There are some areas of Limerick that are just horrible,(like any other other city) I will admit, and that is the Island and William/Sarfield street areas. There is so much confidence in this city, money seems to be flowing in and out of this city, why cant they at least improve the image of some of the city's main streets..

mysterious wrote:
    There are some areas of Limerick that are just horrible, I will admit and that is the Island and William/Sarfield street. There is so much confidence in this city, money seems to be flowing in and out of this city, why cant they at least improve the image of some of the city's main streets..

For me it is O'Connel Street as Limericks main street that gives a horrible impression...

Who is "they" - who do you expect to keep the town tidy? You can't expect a litter warden walking day by day hour for hour around city centre to pick up the trash. It works in the Peoples Park - and that's great there!!! I really love this place in Limerick! But it won't work for the whole town centre. It's up to the people to change the image of their town! But as long as the PEOPLE keep THEIR OWN town like a dump - what do we expect to change in the pictures that others have about the city?

IB

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

bazz26 wrote:
    Old predictable news.

Not many pay much attention to the Sunday Tribune these days anyway. Probably just looking to raise a bit of controversy to sell a few papers.

As you said the weekend's atmosphere in the city speaks alot louder than a few lines in some silly rag.

Well if the rock he crawled out from was any better he wouldn't have to travel around the world to get away from it.

Secondly he commented in his article that the weather was crap. well if they didnt cut down all those trees to print his ****e then we would have a better environment and climate too.

Rough guide, indeed, it chaifed when I wiped my arse with it.

I believe I pissed off a certain Sunday Tribune staffer when he singled out limerick in a podcast immediately after the Dublin Riots as a centre of criminal activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Inge Binge wrote:
    Especially the vomit, the broken beer bottles, the cigarette butts, the trashed beer cans, the SUPERMACS wraps and the ABRAKEBABRA burger boxes on the street on sunday morning. What a great atmosphere!

IB

You would get that at any event where thousands of people gather like that. be it a concert or a rock festival. There were upwards of 15,000 people in two city blocks of o connell street on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Inge Binge wrote:

IB

Have you ever been to Cardiff which was similar after the FA Cup final, Heinekin Cup final and Championship Playoff final? Landsdown Road and Croke Park are usually in the same condition after a large sporting event.

But this sort of thing only happens in Limerick right? :rolleyes:

bazz26 wrote:
    Have you ever been to Cardiff which was similar after the FA Cup final, Heinekin Cup final and Championship Playoff final? Landsdown Road and Croke Park are usually in the same condition after a large sporting event.

But this sort of thing only happens in Limerick right? :rolleyes:
    You would get that at any event where thousands of people gather like that. be it a concert or a rock festival. There were upwards of 15,000 people in two city blocks of o connell street on Saturday.

This "event" happens EVERY saturday night! Ever been in town on a sunday morning? Where did I said "It happens only in Limerick" - quote me!!

I frankly don't give a dam how streets in Cardiff, Dublin or St. Somewhere look like. It's about that people complain about what other people say about their city but don't give themselve a fart how they treat the town.

IB

I don't think after big events is a problem, that happens everywhere and is really impossible to prevent, it's the every day dirt and grime of the city that's so offensive. O'Connell street looks like it hasn't been painted since the 1950's, and William street is one unkempt building after another, shop owners don't seem to take too much pride in the appearance of their shops.

Another problem is the lack of bins in this city, is there even one bin on the "Spokane Walk", ie the waterfront outside Clohessy's etc? It's a lovely little walk but completely user unfriendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

I think everyone agrees that Limerick has its problems, but I also think most people think a so called professional journalist referring to the city as Stab City in a national paper is below the belt. The article was a load of rubbish anyway not just number 42.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Inge Binge wrote:
    This "event" happens EVERY saturday night! Ever been in town on a sunday morning? Where did I said "It happens only in Limerick" - quote me!!

I frankly don't give a dam how streets in Cardiff, Dublin or St. Somewhere look like. It's about that people complain about what other people say about their city but don't give themselve a fart how they treat the town.

IB

You've inadvertently hit the spot the IB.
    None of us give a damn how the streets of Cardiff, Dublin, or anywhere else look, but the Dublin media seem to care about ours!
    Why is that?!
    There's an expression that goes "look after your own and the rest will take care of themselves."
    Dublin however tend to prefer the philosophy of "pretend everywhere else is worse and people won't realise how bad we are!"

Ah, com on! You can't blame Dublin for evrryhting! First it's their fault for the bad picture of town because they only report about the crime and now it's their fault because they report only about the litter in the streets...

That's a bit to easy ;)

IB

• Advertisement

Dublin is great in many respects but they are quite ignorant concerning Limerick. They use the term Stab City in the blink of an eye, from my own experience. Dublin has a far broader range of arts, nightlife, employment opportunites, etc, and also a far bigger crime problem, scum element, etc. But in fairness, the facades, upkeep and architecture of the prominent public spaces are in far better shape than Limerick's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

NE one got a link to the list would love to know what was up near the top

I had a look at the Tribune website but subscription is required so I didn't bother going any further

Dont think they were put in ranking, just a random 50 thrown together, heres the top ten anyway

1. Ferry Terminals
    2. Bus Aras
    3. Coleraine
    4. (lack of good) Coffee
    5. Mansions
    6. Stone Eagles (on peoples pillars etc)
    7. Fresh fish (why so expensive)
    8. Comhaltas Ceoltoiri
    9. Heritage Centres
    10. Lasagne (because this isnt Italy we shouldnt serve it)

Longford also got a mention on number 16

16. Longford - "Most Irish Counties seem to have a point, but i've yet to find one for longford"

So he thinks theres some point to Limerick anyway...

What a load of sh*t!!!

Actually just noticed there it seems to be an extract from the new A rough guide to Ireland thats out in July, I was wondering what Billy was on about. Thats even worse though thats a popular guide with tourists, thought those books were meant to show a place in a positive light.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Wasn't it the Rough Guide that a few years back had as their opening sentence in the Limerick section that 'Limerick is a city best viewed ...through a rear view mirror'..? :rolleyes:

I'm originally from Dublin, but living in Limerick for the last 13 years (longest I've ever lived in one place in my life!) and while I can see plenty 'wrong' with Limerick, I'd have to grant you that Dubliners generally — at least the ones who aren't originally from outside Dublin to begin with — have a terribly condescending attitude to everywhere else in the country. Usually based in pure ignorance.

In fact, in my experience, the only people who are worse in this respect are Cork people...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

cornbb wrote:

Yes - and the next step is to get off your ass and do something about it, not just slagging off the city on a discussion board.
    How many of you slagging off Limerick have actually spoken to your local polititian about the lack of bins, or the lack of maintenance of the buildings in the city centre. If enough people speak up then something will be done about it.

"It's about that people complain about what other people say about their city but don't give themselve a fart how they treat the town."
    I do give a "fart" about how I treat the town and have talked to my local councillor about it but I seem to be one of a few.

I heard the author of the book on The Last Word today and also on the list was every place beginning with Bun. This is not a list to be taken seriously. Also, this journo is not from Dublin, he's from England.

IB - the litter in Limerick was not mentioned by a journalist. That was your particular contribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 semidefinite

It's unfortunate that this thread has descended into a slagging match, particularly considering that the original article is so undeserving of the attention. The author did not merely single out Limerick, but made other inane remarks about a variety of places including Longford and Tipperary. Like so much of the content in The Sunday Tribune these days, it was simply a cynical self-promotional exercise, designed to publicise his book. Perhaps he believed he was making witty and insightful observations about Ireland for the benefit of tourists, but it just seemed like he was relying on hackneyed stereotypes and uninformed predjudices.

I think most of us would agree that the article (and book) is hardly worthy of any serious consideration. For those who are still interested, the article is here (may require a subscription, try bugmenot). However, I believe that the less attention this ignorant hack receives, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

its the people who just dont give a **** about their own city that make limerick so untidy,i work in a shop on cruises st and every day i see people,not just knackers either,throwing crap on the streets,ya there arent enough bins in the city but nobody uses the ones that are here anyway,this town has a serious attitude of "nobody else gives a **** why should i,this place is a ****hole anyway"

• Advertisement

Agree with both above posts, but how do you change the writers perception and the attitude of Limerick people towards litter?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement