Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Trap

Options
  • 22-05-2006 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

I was coming off the m50 at the Mad Cow Roundabout the other day and seen as i know on sundays there are normally TC in marked jeeps behind the bus shelter I kept and Eye on my speed.

However as i was heading to the longmile road i needed to keep in the left lane but just in front of me where two horses and carts so i decieded to over take seen as there was no marked vehicle.

So i over take and look to mt left and see a white van with slightly tinted windows parked up on the side road/path and what did i see only a camera!!!

Looked at my speed doing bout 65kph seen as i was slowing down from over taking.

Are these real speed traps and if so whats the chances of getting a ticket?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Would you not be ok because you were overtaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Very real, what speed limit is the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭taby_dub

The limit is 60km

I mentioned it to my other half and he said when he was coming around from the airport there was a black van a couple of weeks ago but he hasnt fingerscrossed gotten a ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Would you not be ok because you were overtaking?
    I am pretty sure that breaking the speed limit when overtaking is also illegal.
    I think its a common misconception that breaking the limit when overtaking is legal but I am open to correction on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

kippy wrote:
    I think its a common misconception that breaking the limit when overtaking is legal but I am open to correction on that.

If you speed was being assessed manually by a Garda, he may give some leeway for overtaking but a static camera won't differentiate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

From my knowledge on the Gatso system not everyone that speeds gets a ticket!! You may or maynot be lucky on this one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If you were doing an indicated 65 in a 60 then you're almost certainly OK as most car speedometers overstate speed by a few km/h plus there should be some leeway with the speed check (eg they mightn't give tickets to anyone doing less than x km/h over the limit)

jonny24ie wrote:
    From my knowledge on the Gatso system not everyone that speeds gets a ticket!! You may or maynot be lucky on this one!!

Well i was the only car on the road so hopefully not.

Has anyone else noticed these vans or gotten a ticket after been spotted by these vans

taby_dub wrote:
    Well i was the only car on the road so hopefully not.

Has anyone else noticed these vans or gotten a ticket after been spotted by these vans

Yes, three times (before penalty points though).

what is a Gatso vans?

• Advertisement

taby_dub wrote:
    what is a Gatso vans?

Those unmarked vans, usually Transits, which have a camera facing out the rear window. Usually parked in morning and left there to snap away all day. (I think Gatso is the brand of camera they use??)

taby_dub wrote:
    what is a Gatso vans?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatso

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

It is now. But it used to be stated in the rules of the road that the speed limit is 60mph unless overtaking.

Had an argument about this with a lad here ages ago so bought the latest edition of the rules of the road to prove my point - it was only then that I realised that it had been changed... just as well cos I don't remember ever being notified!!
    (NOTE: I KNOW it was in the edition when I did my test cos I won a drunken bet on the matter!! :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

unfortunately thats a 50km stretch (between Mad cow and longmile road)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

TheBazman wrote:

yes was gonna mention this are you sure you were in the 60km/h section or was it the 50km/h, if you were in the 60km/h section and you were doing 65km/h then you could be ok because of the leeway

• Registered Users Posts: 34,907 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

TheBazman wrote:
    Not any more.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

ninja900 wrote:
    Not any more.
    Must have changed recently then - its usually morning when I travel this so maybe I'm too asleep to notice the change

No its deffo a 60km road. it changes to 50km at the schools after des kelly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

taby_dub wrote:
    I was coming off the m50 at the Mad Cow Roundabout the other day and seen as i know on sundays there are normally TC in marked jeeps behind the bus shelter I kept and Eye on my speed.

However as i was heading to the longmile road i needed to keep in the left lane but just in front of me where two horses and carts so i decieded to over take seen as there was no marked vehicle.

So i over take and look to mt left and see a white van with slightly tinted windows parked up on the side road/path and what did i see only a camera!!!

Looked at my speed doing bout 65kph seen as i was slowing down from over taking.

Are these real speed traps and if so whats the chances of getting a ticket?

Isn't that section of the Nass Road 4 lanes wide in each direction? It's hard to see a good reason why you would have to speed up/overtake/fly around a horse and cart on such a massive road...and there's no real way of knowing if you got a ticket or not, just have to wait and see...

Advertisement