Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Returning to Ireland with a 5 month old car

Options
  • 22-05-2006 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    This has been covered before, but this one is slightly different.
    I have a friend who is returning home to Ireland for good after 3rd July 06, she bought a new car in Feb of this year in the UK and has receipt from the garage she bought it from says 03 Feb 06.
    But the DVLA document issued says date of first registration is March 06, which would make the car 5 months old. Would she have to pay VAT on the 10K stg the car cost? Or will the VRO office consider the car to be 5 months old or 6 months old?

There’s also the issue of mileage, is it 6000km’s or 6000miles that has to be on the clock?

Might be worth it if she delay’s the return until August, but that might not be possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

If she was genuinely living in the UK for a good while before she bought the car .. she could move home and wait a few months to re-register (can be risky mind you) .. she would have to keep a UK bank account open, mobile phone bill until she registers the car.

Then when the car is 8 months old or so .. drive up to the local VRT office and get the paperwork. I wouldn't suggest arriving on the button of 6 months old or they will start asking questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

whippet wrote:
    If she was genuinely living in the UK for a good while before she bought the car .. she could move home and wait a few months to re-register (can be risky mind you) .. she would have to keep a UK bank account open, mobile phone bill until she registers the car.

Then when the car is 8 months old or so .. drive up to the local VRT office and get the paperwork. I wouldn't suggest arriving on the button of 6 months old or they will start asking questions.

She been in UK for around 15 years and is selling her house in the UK and currently building a house over here. so electric/gas bills will be transfered to new owners in July,she could "rent" in the Uk for 1 month then bring the car over in August, but all paperwork would have to be the same, i.e. Ferry date, receipt for Rent until August, Last payslip would need to be August also i think

the problem with driving the car over here is that when she goes into the VRO office, all here paperwork will point to a 5 month old car when it was imported.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Unless there's something very wrong with my maths, even if they took the purchase date of 03 February as the starting point, she'd still have to wait until after 03 August. If it was 03 March the cutoff date would be 03 September. Or am I being numerically challenged today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Alun wrote:
    Unless there's something very wrong with my maths, even if they took the purchase date of 03 February as the starting point, she'd still have to wait until after 03 August. If it was 03 March the cutoff date would be 03 September. Or am I being numerically challenged today?

Good Point!:o, September it is then! Dont know how i missed that! (must be the weekend hangover:D go on Munster!)
    moral of the story, don't buy a new car when your about to come home!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mc-BigE wrote:
    Good Point!:o, September it is then! Dont know how i missed that! (must be the weekend hangover:D go on Munster!)
    Glad it wasn't me after all :)
    moral of the story, don't buy a new car when your about to come home!
    I did exactly the same (in Holland), but it was a LHD car anyway, so it probably wasn't a good idea. Mind you, if I'd thought about it, and planned ahead a bit, I could have bought a RHD car and imported it. Ah well, the benefit of 20-20 hindsight :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement