Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iain Banks ...

Options
  • 22-05-2006 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭

Anyone care to recommend a followup book from Iain Banks?

I have only read 'The Wasp Factory' which I enjoyed.

What should come next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

I think Complicity is his best book. Can't recommend it enough. Otherwise The Bridge or The Crow Road are my other two favourites. I'd avoid The Business or Dead Air though. If you like Sci-fi you should try some of his, written as Iain M. Banks. I'm not a huge Sci-fi fan but I find these so well written I just can't put them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Whit is one of my favourites
    Complicity is a superb read as well

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i've only read a collection of his short stories - the state of the art. loved it, want more

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I loved the Crow Road, it's what got me reading Ian Banks, I'd suggest The Crow Road also.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Id second the Crow Road, great story. Also i never really read SciFi books until i tried some oh his and i have to say they are very good. Ive read most of his SciFi stuff now well worth taking a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Anyone care to recommend a followup book from Iain Banks?

I have only read 'The Wasp Factory' which I enjoyed.

What should come next?

depression

;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

State Of The Art is a good read if you're not sure about whether you'll like his sci-fi work; he generally does a good balance of interesting characters & storyline vs sci-fi ideas.

The Bridge is a damn fine read, but you could also try A Song Of Stone - it takes a little while to get into but I found it worthwhile. I didn't like Dead Air much though; it was well-written but there just wasn't all that much to it, and the main character wasn't engaging enough to hold your interest after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Jay Tomio

I've only read a collection of his short stories - the state of the art. loved it, want more

Those stories are Culture stories and if you liekd them yo ushould check out the Culture novels:

Consider Phlebas
    The Player of Games
    Use of Weapons
    Excession
    Inversions
    Look to Windward

This is an excellent sequence of books.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Fysh wrote:
    ...you could also try A Song Of Stone - it takes a little while to get into but I found it worthwhile.

I might go back to this one so. I started out reading the first ten pages and found it difficult to get into. I thought perhaps that I just wasn't in the mood for that type of book but I might give it a try again. Thanks :D

Advertisement