Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parental Leave

Options
  • 22-05-2006 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

Just been issued this by my employer and thought I'd share it with the rest of you just in case you haven't seen it already.

Immediate changes to Parental Leave and Force Majeure Leave

From 18th May 2006 the following changes to Parental and Force Majeure leave have immediate effect. This is due to the enactment of the Parental Leave (Amendment) Act 2006.
    The main provisions of the Act are as follows:-
    • raising the maximum age of the eligible child from 5 to 8 years;
    • an increase in the maximum age of the eligible child to 16 years in the case of children with disabilities;
    • a statutory entitlement to take the 14 weeks parental leave in separate blocks of a minimum of 6 continuous weeks, or more favourable terms with the agreement of the employer;
    • extension of parental leave entitlements to persons acting in loco parentis in respect of an eligible child;
    • extension of the force majeure provisions to include persons in a relationship of domestic dependency , including same-sex partners;
    • transfer of parental leave entitlements from one parent to another if both parents are employed by the same employer, subject to the employer's agreement;
    • that an employee who falls ill while on parental leave and as a result is unable to care for the child may suspend the parental leave for the duration of the illness following which period the parental leave recommences;
    • provision to introduce a statutory codes of practice on the manner on how parental leave and force majeure leave might be taken and the manner in which an employer can terminate parental leave.
    Mr. Michael McDowell, T.D., Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform announced the enactment of the Parental Leave (Amendment) Act 2006 on 18 May, 2006 so as to bring into immediate effect a number of improvements to parental leave legislation

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Brilliant news, I've been waiting for this. Thanks for sharing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭fobs

THis is great as thought I would have to lose out or get very little leave due to cover issues at work so this is great as have a few more years to take it!

Advertisement