Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How long to get penalty points?

Options
  • 22-05-2006 11:34am
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, got a fine in the post nearly a month ago for speeding, but I still havent received any penalty points. Does anybody know how long it actually takes for them to be sent out to you, and how are they applied?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Have you paid the fine yet? Points are not applied until the fine is paid or any court case is over. After that it can take months for the actual points to be applied. You will receive a letter telling you when the points will be applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It took nearly 6 months after paying the fine for notification about my newly acquired points to arrive in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

crosstownk wrote:
    It took nearly 6 months after paying the fine for notification about my newly acquired points to arrive in the post.

AFAIK the points must be applied within 6 months of the date of the offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Litcagral wrote:
    It wasn't far off. Anyway I was caught fair and sqaure so I'll just eat it. It was nearly 2 years ago so I'll be rid of them next year. Assumimg I don't get anymore;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

yea as far as I remember it took about 4 months to get mine, but that was back when the points just came in.

Their not on my license anymore :D

• Advertisement

Litcagral wrote:
    Can you quote the statute? AFAIK there is no time limit for point application. There is a 6 month limit for starting a prosecution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

it took me 3 months to get my points activated.they should be finished in november of this year:D.

drdre wrote:
    it took me 3 months to get my points activated.they should be finished in november of this year:D.
    Before your court appearance one would hope. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Bond-007 wrote:
    Can you quote the statute? AFAIK there is no time limit for point application. There is a 6 month limit for starting a prosecution.

Yes I think you are correct Bond-007. Apologies.

I found this:

Statute barred offences
    If the Fixed Charge payable on foot of a penalty point offence is not paid and an application for summons
    to Court is not made within six months of the date of the offence, the prosecution of the driver in
    question is statute barred.
    My examination of the computer file recording penalty point information noted that there were over
    5,500 such cases flagged as being statute barred. Table 29 sets out an analysis of these cases and shows
    the potential revenue loss which results from the inability to recover the amounts involved.

www.audgen.gov.ie/

(Edit - incorrect link provided)

This could lead to great abuses of the system by people who string it out a bit by naming someone else as driver, i.e. waiting the full 28 days to nominate someone else who then has a full 56 days to pay, that coupled with the slowness to issue notices in the first place, could push things out to the six month limit.

That link should be www.audgen.gov.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I got stopped for speeding 31 days ago, was actually stopped by the garda and shown the speed on the gun thing, but i still havent recieved anything about my fine or points, a fixed penalty is supposed to come in the post isnt it?

I'm not meant to go to a garda station to sort it out am i?

Hang tight, it will come eventually. :( The Gardai are not the fastest of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Bond-007 wrote:
    Hang tight, it will come eventually. :( The Gardai are not the fastest of people.

Thats alright just wondering whether i had to wait for something to come or go and sort it out myself, so the 28 days to pay the fine must be from the date i recieve it?

It's 28 days from the date of the notice for the €80 option or 56 days for the €120 option.

draffodx wrote:
    I got stopped for speeding 31 days ago, was actually stopped by the garda and shown the speed on the gun thing, but i still havent recieved anything about my fine or points, a fixed penalty is supposed to come in the post isnt it?

I'm not meant to go to a garda station to sort it out am i?
    you might not even get it , i got pulled for taking a illegal right turn and the guard said nothing to me then,just took my licence and number plate, this was over 1 year ago and i asked him do i get points or what and he said i will be brought to court.nothing happened at all and the funny thing is that its not even on my record as i got it check up.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 laddy

I got stopped last march (2005) for speeding, received the fine in the post and paid it but never got anything about penalty points. Does that mean i don't actually have them on my licence or what?
    When i paid the fine i wrote my licence number on the form that has to be filled in but the lad took down wrong. He put a 7 as a 1 on the computer and on my receipt. I haven't heard anything since so does this mean they aren't on my licence because i presumed that since he took the number down wrong that they wouldn't be on my licence anyway.

laddy wrote:
    I got stopped last march (2005) for speeding, received the fine in the post and paid it but never got anything about penalty points. Does that mean i don't actually have them on my licence or what?
    When i paid the fine i wrote my licence number on the form that has to be filled in but the lad took down wrong. He put a 7 as a 1 on the computer and on my receipt. I haven't heard anything since so does this mean they aren't on my licence because i presumed that since he took the number down wrong that they wouldn't be on my licence anyway.

if the number is wrong then you have got away with it.donot worry about it.you can find out how many points you have on the licence by calling you local motor tax office.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There were cases in the past where it took about two years for the points to be applied so don't assume that you might get away with something.
    However, as you have not been informed of points being applied by the Department then you should not notify your insurance company!

kbannon wrote:
    There were cases in the past where it took about two years for the points to be applied so don't assume that you might get away with something.
    However, as you have not been informed of points being applied by the Department then you should not notify your insurance company!

2 years, thats a bloody long wai.if thats the case is the points 3 years after the 2 year date or from the date you got caught.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Points run from the date they are applied on your licence. The stories that were in the media (>1 yr ago) mean that a driver got his points about 2 years after the offence and they then run for 3 years (till about 5 years after the offence)

• Advertisement
Advertisement