Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scotch Bonnet sauce, for a little zing.

• 22-05-2006 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭

Anyone who is into their spicey food will probably like this stuff that I found recently in Madinah.

It's called Walkerswood, HOT Jamaican Scotch Bonnet pepper sauce. I've been striving to find something that would give a savage kick in chilis etc, without being a chili oil extract, cos that stuff just isn't funny.
    This stuff gets an 8 out of 10 for hotness, so it's pretty firey and extremely tastey.
    Give it a shot it's great.
    http://www.walkerswood.com/products/detail_pages/Scotch.asp

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Heh. If you'll permit me to go off topic- a guy I was in college with was the naieve type. Over the course of the years he was tricked into eating a big chunk of scotch bonnet (he was told it was a particularly sweet pepper), a massive spoon of fresh horseradish cream ("taste this gorgeous sauce I made for roast beef!"), and another massive spoon of wasabi (guacamole). Poor guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Blub2k4 wrote:
    This stuff gets an 8 out of 10 for hotness,

I've never understood such scales.

In my experience, they can let you judge compoarative heat within a product range, but not much more.

Its a bit like seeing chefs on something like Ready Steady asking a contestant "how hot do you like it" and they say "not too hot". Well, duh, the point where it becomes too hot is what we're trying to avoid crossing. You've still given no information about where that is.

jc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

In an ideal world, everyone would know their limit in terms of scovilles, and all foods would be marked on the scoville scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

bonkey wrote:
    I've never understood such scales.

In my experience, they can let you judge compoarative heat within a product range, but not much more.

Its a bit like seeing chefs on something like Ready Steady asking a contestant "how hot do you like it" and they say "not too hot". Well, duh, the point where it becomes too hot is what we're trying to avoid crossing. You've still given no information about where that is.

jc

Well yes it is an arbitrary scale, I cant find an actual Scoville rating for it strangely enough, but arbitrary or not it's hot.

<edit> I found it, it's about 5700 on the scoville scale.

Shabadu wrote:
    Heh. If you'll permit me to go off topic- a guy I was in college with was the naieve type. Over the course of the years he was tricked into eating a big chunk of scotch bonnet (he was told it was a particularly sweet pepper), a massive spoon of fresh horseradish cream ("taste this gorgeous sauce I made for roast beef!"), and another massive spoon of wasabi (guacamole). Poor guy.

The Wassabi scares me......he wasn't the brightest button in the box I take it. Once bitten, twice shy, three times....ooh careful your shoelaces are undone :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Make your own.
    here is my recipe.

As with all Recipes , quality of ingredients is all important.

Ingredients
    1/2 lb Habaneros the hotter the better.
    1 Cup vinegar, whatever kind you like just make sure it's not too strong.
    3 Tbsp Pickling spice as below.
    1 large Mango (1lb)
    Juice of 3 limes and 2 lemons
    2 Tsp Cornflour.
    1 tsp dried Thyme

Warning!!!!!
    Use Gloves when chopping Habaneros I will not be responsible for any injuries incurred while making this sauce.

1/2 lb habaneros, ripe and deseeded, put them into your food processor and puree.
    get 1 cup of vinegar I used white boring vinegar cause' thats all I had.
    boil 3 tablespoons of pickling spice up with the vinegar
    Pickling spice is mustard seed, ginger, dried chillis,coriander seed,black peppe rcorns ,cloves allspice and bay leaves and cassia bark.
    you don't boil it for long maybe 3 mins.
    Strain the mix out of the vinegar and pour the vinegar and pureed chillis into a pot on the stove.
    Start the stove on a low heat and peel and chop a mango into chunks while the chilli mix comes to the boil, add mango chunks and cook until they soften , which won't be long.
    add a teaspoon of dried thyme and the juice of some limes and lemons puree the lot with a stick mixer and at this point I added a little bit of cornflour dissolved in water to thicken the whole mix.

Enjoy, carefully

Haughey, if you wouldn't mind, I was actually hoping at the time that you might contribute to another thread, and you didn't turn up when I wanted you ;)

I get the impression you work in catering in this country so I had opened a thread on Irish stew and you never popped in.

I'd still be interested in your contribution to this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054920532

Cheers, if you have time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Tabasco's Habenaro is hot as hell

My mate Dave has this one called Dave's Insanity Sauce, thats insane...

ok enough with the puns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Anyone who is into their spicey food will probably like this stuff that I found recently in Madinah.

It's called Walkerswood, HOT Jamaican Scotch Bonnet pepper sauce. I've been striving to find something that would give a savage kick in chilis etc, without being a chili oil extract, cos that stuff just isn't funny.
    This stuff gets an 8 out of 10 for hotness, so it's pretty firey and extremely tastey.
    Give it a shot it's great.
    http://www.walkerswood.com/products/detail_pages/Scotch.asp

The wife and I spent 2 weeks in Jamaica in July. We visited a Rasta who grows these little devils.

Needless to say we brought back loads :) Walkerswood, Busha Browns and a few other local concoctions.

Magic stuff!

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I grew my own habaneros last summer and made chili sauce with them... The best way to make your peppers really hot is to distress the plant before harvest, so don't water it until it's wilting, then water it a lot, repeat ad nauseum for a fortnight... The first pepper I plucked when ripe, I cut it in half. Just doing that made me cough, so I tentatively took a tiny sliver of the raw edge, and touched it to the tip of my tongue...

I had to go have a lie down. And I LIKE hot food - I enjoy a good vindaloo, for instance. I made it into sauce using chopped chilis, vinegar, minced shallots, a little garlic, salt, pepper, dried chilis from another birdseye plant I'd been cultivating - all in all it turned out well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

I grew my own habaneros last summer and made chili sauce with them... The best way to make your peppers really hot is to distress the plant before harvest, so don't water it until it's wilting, then water it a lot, repeat ad nauseum for a fortnight...

You sick plant torturing bastard, I'm calling the RSPCP on you.

Another poster mentioned Dave's insanity sauce, I've had the stuff, cannot keep it in the fridge, lethal, it can, does clean oil stains off your drive.

For a brillant and really unusual cook book Biker Billy's Freeway of Fire a vegetarian spicy food cookbook made by this odd looking biker who has his own cookery show in the US (predates the hairy bikers by a few years) he has his own type of habenero named after him, and the book is filled with inventive spicy veggie food. His potato salad salad with peanut butter chilis and yogurt is great as is his cayenne cookies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

While we're on about hot stuff - a mate of mine gave me some Crazy Jerry's Mustard Gas. It is certainly not for the faint-hearted, but is fantastic if you like your heat with a good flavour.

It is great for adding heat to curries - especially if you are feeding several people who don't like it too hot. Take some of the sauce from the "standard" curry & place in a small saucepan. Add as many chilies as one likes, add a 1/2 tsp (no more!) of Mustard Gas & simmer. Pour over individual servings of standard curry for those who like it hot.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Have a look here : http://www.firegirl.com/

Advertisement