Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clarke Throws It Away - AGAIN

• 22-05-2006 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

Darren Clarke has just thrown away the Irish Open with a stupid 18th hole.

Short of the pin by 35 yeards in two on the last, he duffs his chip and leaves his next 10 foot from the hole, misses that and bogies it

WHEN will DC stop doing this? He makes a habit of blowing up almost every time he is in contention.

I know he has his personal problems, but surely he can keep it together a little bit better than he is doing at present.

So dissappointing.

S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

slumped wrote:
    Darren Clarke has just thrown away the Irish Open with a stupid 18th hole.

Short of the pin by 35 yeards in two on the last, he duffs his chip and leaves his next 10 foot from the hole, misses that and bogies it

WHEN will DC stop doing this? He makes a habit of blowing up almost every time he is in contention.

I know he has his personal problems, but surely he can keep it together a little bit better than he is doing at present.

So dissappointing.

S
    so why don't you go up to him and say "hey darren i know your wife is ill and could at any time be slowly and agonizingly dieing but for god sake darren pull yourself together and get your prioreties straight, you could have won the irish open."
    and see if he even answers you, and if he does don't forget to duck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

I read about him playing a chip shot onto the fairway, when his lie wasn't the same as it was the night before. Respect. It cost him the tournament, but he would have been cheating to take advantage of the 'trampled lie', when his ball wasn't in a 'trampled area' the night before..

It says a lot about the guys character to me at least.

Below from the indo:

DARREN Clarke emerged with honour, if not the glory, at the Nissan Irish Open yesterday.

One selfless act at Carton House shone like a beacon in an era when cheating has become commonplace in many sports.

And if Denmark's Thomas Bjorn brilliantly snatched the title with two closing birdies, Clarke earned a place in golfing folklore on the fifth day of this rain-doused championship.

When rain forced play to a halt on Sunday, Clarke's ball was virtually invisible, hidden in the deep rough. On his return yesterday morning, the grass around it had been mysteriously stamped down.

Officials told him he was entitled to play it where it lay. He decided he could not accept the advantage. So he chipped his ball back onto the fairway as if from its original bad lie. Rough justice.

The 37-year-old played down the incident on the ninth, insisting: "It's just part and parcel of the game. "It was in a better lie than when I left it. I could have hit it on to the front of the green but if I had done I would have held my head in shame walking all the way to the green so I just decided to chip it out and play it like I would have last night."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

slumped wrote:

So dissappointing.

S

Woah, his wife dying of cancer .... yup, I'd call them personal problems alright.

Wife > Piece of tin sitting on mantelpiece methinks.

He also showed his 'class' when he chipped out onto the fairway from the rough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

My point is that if he can hold his own for 71 and a half holes, why did he Fcuk it up on the last green?

I know Heather is seriously ill and that he is playing week to week, but the Irish Open was put on Monday to give Clarke a chance which he blew.

Do you really think the organisers wanted to come back on Monday when they could have called a 54 hole competition and had a two way play off?

NO.

Clarke let his demons of old get to him and made a complete arse of the last green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

slumped wrote:
    My point is that if he can hold his own for 71 and a half holes, why did he Fcuk it up on the last green?

I would have to agree with this. Clarke has always had this inability to pass the finish post, as do all the irish platers imho. They get into contention for the back nine on sunday and seem to blow it. Harrington is the worst at this by far, why else would he be runner up so many times. As for McGimley, dont even start.

I admire Darren's sportsmanship and courage playing week in, week out but I think there is something more fundamental at fault in his game. He just doesn't seem to have the killer instinct and i dont think he ever had. When was the last time and irish player posted 32 on the sunday back nine of a big competition?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

slumped wrote:

I know Heather is seriously ill and that he is playing week to week, but the Irish Open was put on Monday to give Clarke a chance which he blew.

Do you really think the organisers wanted to come back on Monday when they could have called a 54 hole competition and had a two way play off?

NO.

Clarke let his demons of old get to him and made a complete arse of the last green.
    do you really think that the last green was his first dropped shot in the round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Do you think that if he hit the green from his lie that anyone woulda said anything after?

Rules are that you play the ball in the area marked, regardless of his lie he was within his rights to attack that pin.

Fair play to him, but it cant be used as an excuse by him or anyone else, he did it himself being an honourable person he is, but he could have gone for the green and no one said anything else about it. No one even noticed anything until he said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Dman_15 wrote:
    Clarke has always had this inability to pass the finish post
    Yeah, sure remember when he collapsed in the final of the World Matchplay against Tiger Woods, shocking huh
    Just doesnt have the bottle at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

GreeBo wrote:
    Yeah, sure remember when he collapsed in the final of the World Matchplay against Tiger Woods, shocking huh
    Just doesnt have the bottle at all.

I actually think that that was the worst result for him personally. Since he won that tournament, he hasn't played as well!! Maybe just a coincidence though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

I don't think he gives a toss anymore - he just threw himself at that chip shot and has the demeanour of a guy who can't be ars$d to finish it properly - what would he have done if he won it - celebrated!!, don' think so

I know he's been sloopy before but his current probs are too much - if it was me, I'd give it up for a while!

• Advertisement
Advertisement