Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Head gasket gone again?

Options
  • 22-05-2006 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I thought this was the nearest forum I could find around here that might be able to help.
    About four years ago the heating in my car went wallop. Despite the heat setting being turned up fully, all I got was cold air. Someone mentioned to me that this usually meant the head gasket was on the way out and, what do you know, a few days later I got left stranded in a dead car on the Navan road.
    So a few hundred quid and one new head gasket later, the problem was fixed.

Today, I'm driving into work and it's freezing. I couldn't get any hot air out of the fan (no aircon, just a regular fan).

Does anyone know about these things? Is this usually a sign of a faulty head gasket? I'm dreading having to drive along the M50 if I think the car's going to start puffing out steam and stop dead on me.

Again, apologies if this should be somewhere else, but this is annoying me and I'm worried about driving home later today.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

A clear indication of the headgasket going is when you take the oilcap off take a look at ti and if there is grime on it then its on its way out!! Was the temp bar up at all or was it at C???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If this has happened suddenly then all or most of your coolant may have leaked out. This will quickly result in an overheated engine and a cold heater. So first thing to check is is there any coolant in the reservoir.

If there is coolant in the tank the cold heater could just mean that your themostat has stuck open and the engine is overcooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭KazDub

I never even thought to look at the temperature, was too busy concentrating and hoping to feck that I'd get to work before it conked out. I'll check those things you've both suggested, thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

what make/model of car is it ? Makes such as rover are notorius for HGs blowing. :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

If the temp gauge was way up and your heater was blowing cold, it's probably certain it's the head gasket. Might be an idea to fill up the water/ coolant in your car. And carry around water in the car all the time until you can get it fixed.

The oil cap as Jonny said as well. If it's all "gunky" it's done for.

• Advertisement

If it's a FIAT it's definitely the HG. Bet your house on that one :D

Ay Cee, where do you want me to send the money?
    '99 Punto.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

KazDub wrote:
    Ay Cee, where do you want me to send the money?
    '99 Punto.

It could also be a tube from the rad burst!! I had that problem on my old car!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

The heater matrix maybe broke and therefore your not getting any warm air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

jonny24ie wrote:
    It could also be a tube from the rad burst!!!!

Or more commonly the thermostat - HGs going are not an everyday occuranace compared to thermostats or hoses failing

• Advertisement

Call it quits Kaz as one unfortunate previous owner to another. Same car & year.
    Couple of yoyos down the drain for ye.

Borzoi wrote:
    Or more commonly the thermostat - HGs going are not an everyday occuranace compared to thermostats or hoses failing

I thought they were on Fiats :D

Yeah, as above it could be aload of things!! Best way to tell is go out and let the car run for about 10 mins!! Then check the following:

Temp Gauge:
    Open Bonnet and see if you have any Hissing:
    Check the oil cap from cold!!
    See if the Rad Fan is kicking in aswell!!!

If her (assuming Kaz is Karen) Punto is like the one I had Jonny there's no temp gauge on the Fnckin' thing. The first you know about is when the car won't start of caves in.

I'd say the first thing to do would be check the oil cap. After that go with Jonny's recommendations there. You might just get lucky.

Ay Cee wrote:
    If her (assuming Kaz is Karen) Punto is like the one I had Jonny there's no temp gauge on the Fnckin' thing. The first you know about is when the car won't start of caves in.

I'd say the first thing to do would be check the oil cap. After that go with Jonny's recommendations there. You might just get lucky.

YOu mean there is no temp gauge in the dash????

Well there wasn't any gunky stuff under the oil cap. I couldn't see if the coolant tank was empty or just very low, so I've topped it up. Will bring it for a spin now and see what happens.
    FFS, only got my motor insurance renewal notice the other day and now I may have to shell out for another head gasket!

And yes, she is a 'she'. That obvious, huh? ;)

Yup Jonny, no gauge on the dash!!! Can you believe it?!

I was going by the name Kaz in fairness. I'd imagine with no gunk on the oil cap you should be a little more optimistic. People who know what they are talking about?

KazDub wrote:
    Well there wasn't any gunky stuff under the oil cap. I couldn't see if the coolant tank was empty or just very low, so I've topped it up. Will bring it for a spin now and see what happens.
    FFS, only got my motor insurance renewal notice the other day and now I may have to shell out for another head gasket!

And yes, she is a 'she'. That obvious, huh? ;)

Well once there is no gunk then the HG is fine!! See if you have a temp guage and see if it moves up!!

Ay Cee wrote:
    Yup Jonny, no gauge on the dash!!! Can you believe it?!

I was going by the name Kaz in fairness. I'd imagine with no gunk on the oil cap you should be a little more optimistic. People who know what they are talking about?

Thats stupid!!! How can you do something idiotic like that man!!

She deffo doesn't have a HG problem if there is no Gunk!! I would imagine its the Coolant/Matrix at this point!!

To think the same company own Ferrari!

• Advertisement

Right, the traffic was too mental to even consider taking it out for a spin. I set up the heater to full temp and let the engine rev for a couple of mins. The hot air came out (yippee) but as soon as I stopped revving, the air went cold again. In fairness I had the fan speed up full blast though, so I set it to the first setting, didn't rev the engine and warm air still seemed to come out.
    Guess the coolant was too low or...perish the thought....empty!
    **morto woman driver moment**

I'm guessing there's still something up with it if the air goes gold once you stop revving. Check with the guys here first though.

Ay Cee wrote:
    I'm guessing there's still something up with it if the air goes gold once you stop revving. Check with the guys here first though.

Nope I agree there!! Hot hair should come out all the time once the engine is on and its hot enough!! Even when you let off the revs it should be hot!! Wait until you get a long drive in then park the car leaving it on and don't rev it and see if it is still hot!!

Damn. Thought that was it sorted. I won't get a chance to test it until I drive home this evening. In case things go horribly wrong, may I apologise in advance if anyone gets stuck behind a clapped out Punto on the M50 this evening.
    Thanks for the pointers though folks. I guess I'll have to check it in for a medical.

Kaz I would only imagine it a Heater Problem so your car ***should*** not break down as it deffo is not the Head Gasket!! Don't book it in until you know all the facts cos a dealer may rip you off on it!! Here's a number of a brilliant mechanic if the problem persists!!

C & F Motors Ltd
    Deerpark rd Mt Merrion Dublin T (01)2888280

He will sort it out for you!! ;)

Thanks Jonny.

Yeah Jonny The Gent got there before me :D I'd imagine it's not head gasket related and should be grand going home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

How much water did you have to put into it ?

And buy the way oil in water and vice versa is not a conclusive test ! I just did a HG on a Merc last week which showed neither, the water leaked into the cylinders over night and once the car started the next morning it blew it out the exhaust !

Anyway i doubt its the HG too, most likely the thermostat is gone, which is cheap as chips to fix !

Good luck !

MercMad, I had to put in a fair bit. Very unscientific measuring system here, I'd nothing to use except a kettle! But it took about a litre, I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Mmmm a litre is quite a bit, but then when did you last check it or top it up. If the level gets low you may not get enough/any heat and the danger here really is that the senser that reads the temperature may also be starved of water and therefore even though the gauge/light doesn't show the car still overheats !

Suggest you keep an eye on it, and check it daily to see if it dissapears. Be cvareful you dont overfill it, some have a "Cold" mark.............obviously only check/fill when its cold !

If it has/does use water then get it pressure tested at any decent back street garage near you.

In the meantime keep it toipoped up and check for heat, if still none then its the 'stat !

Advertisement