Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need some advice on buying a used BMW

Options
  • 22-05-2006 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

Help!!!

I saw a beautiful BMW 3 series on the web late last week. I won't say which one or who the dealer is, but I went out there on Saturday and took the car for a test drive. I was very happy with the car inside and out (and I'm very, very fussy about my cars) and I called the dealer back the same afternoon to tell him I would take it, but I would want a mechanic to just give it a going over first for peace of mind.

So this morning (Monday) I went out to the garage and paid a 100 euro deposit to hold the car while I organise for a mechanic to look at it. However, the soonest the AA can get a look at the car is next Monday. I told the dealer this and he said that was fine. However, I got a call from him about an hour later to ask me if there was there any way I could get the AA to look at the car sooner, his boss is going mad that the car will be on the lot for another week, he would try and get a mechanic to look at it himself etc...

As far as I'm concered, the car is as good as mine. I have said I would buy it (subject to a mechanical inspection) and I have paid a deposit. I'm sure the car is fine but I want to be absolutely sure before buying it. So why the sudden pressure to get a mechanic to look at it sooner? Why are they suddenly not willing to wait a week while I make sure everything is in order? Also, does anyone know of any reputable organisation that inspects used cars apart from the AA who might be able to look at it sooner? I really, really want this car and as far as I'm concerned, it's as good as mine because I have paid a deposit. If the car does not pass an inspection, then the dealer will still be up 100 quid anyway and I'm sure he will have no problem selling it to someone else straightaway.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭hargo

i would suggest that if the car doesn't pass a legitimate inspection the €100 deposit is still yours and as for the pressure being put on he is just being a car salesman, in the end he will wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭The_Magoo

End of month targets? Dunno anyone that would check the car for you. Does it come with a warranty and are they a reputable dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

I figure he will wait if he has to. This morning he said waiting a week was fine and now suddenly it's not. The AA isn't cheap either! Nearly 400 quid. And I'm sure they are BOUND to find something they don't like. And IS the deposit still mine if it doesn't pass? I'm not sure about that.

And there is no warranty as they are a wholesaler and not a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

no your deposit would not be given back if it fails any inspection and you dont take the car.

if theres no warranty i would definetly make sure you get it inspected.

I doubt the rush to get it off the forecourt is anything dodgy, more than likely pressure from his boss to sell it, he'll have a car on his forecourt which he effectively cant show to anyone else

Thanks for all your help and feedback. I think I have it sorted. My uncle knows a mechanic who looks after BMWs and he is going to take a look at it first thing in the morning and if all is good, then I'm going to take it.

I just have to cancel the (incredibly overpriced) AA inspection now. Hope there's no cancellation fee!!!

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Why not use a reputably and trustworthy mechanic intead of the AA?

If you post where you are located and where the car is located, someone might be able to suggest a good mechanic if you don't know one.

I'm not sure about in Ireland, but the RAC in the UK also do these checks. You might want to contact them and see if they can do it sooner than the AA.

*edit* one minute too late in my posting ;)

m_stan wrote:
    Why not use a reputably and trustworthy mechanic intead of the AA?

If you post where you are located and where the car is located, someone might be able to suggest a good mechanic if you don't know one.

I'm not sure about in Ireland, but the RAC in the UK also do these checks. You might want to contact them and see if they can do it sooner than the AA.

*edit* one minute too late in my posting ;)

Lol. No problem. Hopefully it will work out this way. Fingers crossed! The car really is a beauty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

What model, year, mileage ?

When you get it, post some pix !

m_stan wrote:
    What model, year, mileage ?

When you get it, post some pix !

It's a 98 BMW 316 with about 40000 on the clock. Mint condition inside and out.

I will post some pics if and when I get it.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

doubledown wrote:
    Help!!!

I saw a beautiful BMW 3 series on the web late last week. I won't say which one or who the dealer is, but I went out there on Saturday and took the car for a test drive. I was very happy with the car inside and out (and I'm very, very fussy about my cars) and I called the dealer back the same afternoon to tell him I would take it, but I would want a mechanic to just give it a going over first for peace of mind.

So this morning (Monday) I went out to the garage and paid a 100 euro deposit to hold the car while I organise for a mechanic to look at it. However, the soonest the AA can get a look at the car is next Monday. I told the dealer this and he said that was fine. However, I got a call from him about an hour later to ask me if there was there any way I could get the AA to look at the car sooner, his boss is going mad that the car will be on the lot for another week, he would try and get a mechanic to look at it himself etc...

As far as I'm concered, the car is as good as mine. I have said I would buy it (subject to a mechanical inspection) and I have paid a deposit. I'm sure the car is fine but I want to be absolutely sure before buying it. So why the sudden pressure to get a mechanic to look at it sooner? Why are they suddenly not willing to wait a week while I make sure everything is in order? Also, does anyone know of any reputable organisation that inspects used cars apart from the AA who might be able to look at it sooner? I really, really want this car and as far as I'm concerned, it's as good as mine because I have paid a deposit. If the car does not pass an inspection, then the dealer will still be up 100 quid anyway and I'm sure he will have no problem selling it to someone else straightaway.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

This is a very old salesman's trick to presure you into buying the car quickly. This and "I have someone else looking at it in an hour, if you want it, buy it now". More like he want to get the commission on the car this month rather than waiting until next month. Also he doesn't want you taking a week to think about it incase you change your mind and find something else.

Don't even think about having a mechanic that he recommends give it a once over. This could be his drinking buddy for all you know. There would be nothing stopping the salesman giving him a few quid to tell you exactly what you want to hear.

My advice would be to stand back and let your head rule your heart. Even though it maybe the car you always wanted don't become blindly smitten with it. There will always be another one somewhere. If you do feel that the car will be gone then try and find a good independant trusted mechanic who will give it a good once over this week for you, surely a family member or friend of a friend knows a good mechanic who will do this for a few quid.

At the end of the day don't rush into buying it or cut corners, you could end up with a lemon.

Thanks Bazz. Yeah, I figured all of the above alright and that is why I'm not going down that route. My uncle has put me in touch with a very good, trusted friend of his who is a mechanic and his speciality is Beemers. He is going to give it a very thorough examination tomorrow morning and if I don't like what he has to say, then I'll let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

doubledown wrote:
    Maybe?

;)

Seems desperately overpriced if it is the one smarty linked to especially if you're not getting a warranty.

What are you looking for? At even a casual glance this seems better; 316 1.8

or if you really need a 1.6 coupe then this is a fraction of the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

That car is far too overpriced.

For that money you can get into a late 1999 318ci E46 coupe.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Big Balls wrote:

Agreed, a lot of money for a car that is two models old. Also, I don't know if the 1.6 will have much power?

A quick search on carzone, and there is this one (old style like the one in the OP) for 13K, or for the 17-19K range, you can get a load of the E46 ones. [1] [2], [3]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Big Balls wrote:

Agreed. Shockingly over-priced.

I sold a 99 of the very same model with 90k on the clock and a full BMW Service History last February for 9.5k. And I made a few quid on it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Big Balls wrote:

Was thinking same thing as soon as I saw the ad...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,086 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

my god thats expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭pa daly

OP they are right this is WAYYYYYYYY overpriced. I know the dealer will knock the price down a little byt trust me DONT pay anywhere near that amount. I reckon the dealer got that car for under 10,000 been honest. Listen even if you lose your deposit dont pay that money. Them cars are everywhere dont let your heart rule your head!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

No wonder the salesman is in a hurry to get rid of it - before the OP cops on it's too bloody expensive.

Phew! Calm down everyone! I hadn't visited this thread for a few days (as I was busy buying my new car).

To put everyone's minds at rest, it WAS NOT the car that featured in the link on the previous page. I said maybe to put people off. The car I was referring to is no longer linkable (because I have it now :D ) but it's a peach and I'm delighted with it.

It's a red 98 BMW 316i Automatic with only 43 000 on the clock and it cost 9250 euro. I had a mechanic that my uncle has trusted for years look it over and he was genuinely impressed. It is absolutely immaculate inside and out and the two previous owners did a great job looking after it. All leather interior, electric mirrors, windows and a sunroof. It even has reversing sensors on the rear bumper. And it drives beautifully. Even though it's only a 1.6 engine, it has a fair bit of grunt to it and has a Sports mode too for that extra bit of power when you need it.

Very, very happy. And yes, that car on the previous page is HORRIBLY overpriced. Thank you all for your help and advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

doubledown wrote:
    Phew! Calm down everyone! I hadn't visited this thread for a few days (as I was busy buying my new car).

To put everyone's minds at rest, it WAS NOT the car that featured in the link on the previous page. I said maybe to put people off. The car I was referring to is no longer linkable (because I have it now :D ) but it's a peach and I'm delighted with it.

It's a red 98 BMW 316i Automatic with only 43 000 on the clock and it cost 9250 euro. I had a mechanic that my uncle has trusted for years look it over and he was genuinely impressed. It is absolutely immaculate inside and out and the two previous owners did a great job looking after it. All leather interior, electric mirrors, windows and a sunroof. It even has reversing sensors on the rear bumper. And it drives beautifully. Even though it's only a 1.6 engine, it has a fair bit of grunt to it and has a Sports mode too for that extra bit of power when you need it.

Very, very happy. And yes, that car on the previous page is HORRIBLY overpriced. Thank you all for your help and advice.

That is a 316 "Compact" and it is still linkable.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=427815

Advertisement