Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slowing a fan using a resistor

Options
  • 22-05-2006 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

has anyone done this?
    either using a potentiometer or normal resistor?

i got an old pc for free a few weeks ago and was thinking of leaving it in my sittingroom and using it for playing music off but the fan is a bit noisy.the fan had a motherboard type connector as opposed to a molex type.
    its a p2 computer, not sure the exact spec but its got one of those huge looking processors.
    like this one
    pentium_ii-l.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

TBH, you could proably get away without a fan if the case ventilation is good. I have a PIII 533 thats been running passively with the stock heatsink for nearly two years 24/7 without any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I had one of those and it didnt have a fan on the heatsink. Just one fan on the case blowing out air. It wasn't a high performance case fan either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

PIIs are fine, perhaps put on some proper thermal paste (arctic silver 5) and *maybe* lap (sand very finely ie polish with emery paper and literally a drop of distilled water) the heatsink contact area if you're paranoid.
    www.7volts.com for the 7V fan mod.

If you've a bit of money and fancy learning/practicing something (if needed):
    • Put in a good 80 or 92mm fan in the front intake - cut out the stamped metal grille if there is one - I assume there's a front bezel hiding it from view?
    • Look at replacing the fan in the power supply and removing / replacing the stamped grille with something that blocks less air and therefore creates less turbulence (ie wire fan grille, or nothing at all if you've no pets or children near it).
    • Silence your hard drive. See sionnach's sticky.
    • Remove the hard drive. You could pickup a cheap 2Gig compact flash card for 50euro, and a CF-ATA adapter for another few quid (www.mini-itx.com have them). Put OS on that. Store mp3s on network fileserver.
    • Put a potentiometer or a rheostat on the fan connection(s).

Please bear in mind that you may well be limited on what size hard-drive you can install.

Advertisement