Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road Quality of the inter urban N roads

• 22-05-2006 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

I thought this would be interesting to discover, since Ireland's national routes have improved greatly in the last 10 years or so..

Which national route in terms, of width, quality, surface gradient, and visibilty, and signage up to mods, are all spec,

Post the route you think in in general is the best at present, and feel free to give a particular opinion of such..
    The topic of route is(not the Msections)

N2
    N3
    N4
    N5
    N6
    N7
    N8
    N9/N10
    N11
    N18
    N20
    N21
    N24
    N25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bazzer06

From my (limited) experience, i'd have to go with the N11. Considering the quality of the road between Bray and Rathnew, as well as the Arklow bypass, and the upgrades under way or planned (Gorey bypass, Arklow-Rathnew etc) i think it's got a good deal, considering the terminus isn't a big city (as is the case for the poor N8)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

N7 From East of Borris in Ossary to Tipp Border is fantastic, The Nenagh Bypass is probably one of the best streches of two lane in the country.

N8 Some sections are good, such as the road from Cashel to Horse and Jockey.

N6 from Galway to Craughwell.

N18 Limerick to Ennis

N20 from Mallow to Cork is one of my favourite, especially since there will be a 2+1 there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

N8 from Cullohill to Littleton is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

Have to say that north of ardee the N2 has improved dramatically, once the clontibret, monaghan and emyvale bypasses are finished it will be as good as can be expected.

N4 needs a few upgrades between longofrd and sligo

Obviously once the N6,N7,N8 & N9 are finished they will also be pretty much infallible. The N10 to Kilkenny should be DC in my opinion for such a short distance.

Worst road in the country may be the N12 from monaghan to armagh, with no signs of improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The N11, no question. Only one 'bad' section left on it really (apart from needing some bypasses) around Jack White's. Plenty of good quality WS2 with passing opportunities aplenty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hoof Hearted

The N22 from Killarney to the border of County Cork is one beautiful drive (all upgraded up to modern standards), great mountainous scenary to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

N 25 good apart from Slievrue to Carrols Cross and The Pike to the Ring turn, needs resurfacing from west of Youglas by-pass to Midleton.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

mike65 wrote:
    N 25 good apart from Slievrue to Carrols Cross and The Pike to the Ring turn, needs resurfacing from west of Youglas by-pass to Midleton.

Mike.

Yeah
    N25 Between Wexford and New Ross is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

The N22 from Killarney to the border of County Cork is one beautiful drive (all upgraded up to modern standards), great mountainous scenary to boot.

Yeah the bit to the border with Cork is great. Scenery is beautiful.

Then it goes to **** inside Cork, with a windy road similar to a back street. If you get caught behind a lorry forget about getting home quickly, and once you meet Macroom you can forget about moving at all ;) Took an hour to get through there last time I went that way.

They're upgrading the Cork section though in the next few years though, so we'll forgive them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

This section is being upgraded to a 2+1 (I assume its the bits that do not currently have a climing lane, The Killarney Advertiser didnt go into much detail). About two weeks ago there was a survey being carried out on the road. They were counting traffic at the County Bounds, near the Kenmare turn-off and also closer to Killarney town itself.

I would be happy if they got rid of the level crossing, I nearly always arrive at it at the same time as the train on my home :-(

• Advertisement
Advertisement