Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Passat - No Drive

Options
  • 22-05-2006 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

Okies,

Was changing from 1st to 2nd and then there was nothing. No grinding, no nothing. Can select all gears ok but no drive whatsoever. Doesnt have a clutch cable, it's hydraulic and that does not seem to be the problem. The clutch feels fine (as before) but once I put it in gear nothing! Am getting it looked at this evening, any ideas?

If it matters, not from a cold start - was running for 10 mins after being parked for 10 mins after driving for ~ 1 hour (20 in traffic)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It could be the gear selector mechanism or possibly a broken clutch fork. I'd be interested to hear what the mechanic has to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

crosstownk wrote:
    It could be the gear selector mechanism or possibly a broken clutch fork. I'd be interested to hear what the mechanic has to say.

In my experience a broken selector should normally mean you loose a gear, or a few gears. While the clutch fork being broke should mean the pedal would sink straight to the floor on the lightest touch.

I reckon it could be center of the clutch disc has broken off, or a sheared driveshaft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭h0stn0tf0und

Thanks for the replies.
    a sheared driveshaft
    That sounds very bad, whats the severity of what you guys mentioned, should I be prepared for bad news!? This car has 80k on it.

I'll post what the mechanic says.

Thanks

Did you hear any noise at all as this happened. maidhc could well be right, but usually anything that snaps usually does so with a loud bang.

If there was a sound it wasnt louder than the noise of the engine. The gear change was smooth, just when I released the clutch there was no drive. The car didnt even jerk. I didnt even have the radio on so I could hear pretty much everything. I wasnt driving it hard. It has me thinking that it was something deep inside. The nearest thing I could compare it to when you conk out but that is even too severe a description. I checked under the car for *parts* or leaking fluid but nothing. The only thing is that I was in traffic for 20 minutes leading up to the incident, crawling along a metre at a time. I dont ride the clutch though.

Stumped and worried!

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote:
    I reckon it could be center of the clutch disc has broken off.
    I'm beginning to think that this may be the cause........This would be preferable to a fault within the gearbox itself.

I assume that its possible to push the car while in 4th gear?

I assume that its possible to push the car while in 4th gear?

I'll find out when I get home! When it died I just pushed it into a parking spot and from there home.

maidhc might be bang on the mark. It's what the father told me, you'd think I'd listen?!? I'll post back and let you all know how I get on.

Many thanks lads.

Advertisement