Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DS Lite Irish launch/price!!!

Options
  • 22-05-2006 1:56pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/05/22/nintendo_names_ds_lite_uk_date/
    Nintendo will release the DS Lite in the UK on 23 June, the videogames pioneer said today. The redesigned handheld console will set British buyers back £100. It will cost €150 (£102) in continental Europe, the company added.

Taking a lead from Apple's iPod, Nintendo said the DS Lite will be available at launch in two colours: glossy black and shiny white.

The company described the DS Lite as a "premium" product which will be offered alongside the original version. With the current model also retailing for around £100 at the moment, it seems hard the justify the 'premium' tag if Nintendo isn't anticipating a DS price cut or limited availability of the DS Lite.

Good price, I'd say the regular DS will go down soon enough...

get yer preorders going!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

delicious - can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

eh we are forgetting a vital piece of info here.... TWO COLOURS. thats one more than america. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Bleedin' rapid.

Although I for one disapprove of all these nice shiny things being released and what have you just as I am about to enter the poorest few years of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

No Enamel Navy?
    Looks good (except for the limited availability speculation). Also: "Kawashima’s Brain Training: How Old Is Your Brain?"... it that Brain Age or something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Linkdude

That premium stuff is bull. They just want to dig into our pockets. Note how the system costs the same as a regular DS elsewhere. It's evejn worse then the normal change $ to € were used to. Another 20 has be added on to it. I don't care if thee's a black one, you just know they'll release it everywhere else 3 months later.

I'll stick with my original DS, that's for sure. I'm not paying more then a regular model for a lite if nobody else has to.

Premium version is their way of saying "charging you more version". :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Linkdude wrote:
    Premium version is their way of saying "charging you more version". :rolleyes:
    Didn't it say it's the same price as a DS is now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Linkdude

Crucifix wrote:
    Didn't it say it's the same price as a DS is now?

The DS is €130 in most shops, isn't this retailing for €150?

Linkdude wrote:
    The DS is €130 in most shops, isn't this retailing for €150?
    Ah right so. I haven't a clue myself, I was basing that on the linked article.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

is the DS going for 130; thought it was going for 150...

Well, regardless of price, Nintendo have done what we all knew they would with the lite; when the original launched I knew they'd release a revised version shortly after that; the revision IMO isn't as impressive as the GBA-GBASP was, but it's impressive nonetheless... that doesn't take away from the fact that this is the machine we should have had at launch if only Nintendo had employed some decent designers from day 1.

I will get one I'm sure, but I have many things on my list before it

ill wait until i hold it to pass judgement but from what i hear it all round kicks the normal DS' ass

• Advertisement

I've been thinking of getting one. And the release date is also the day I'll get my first monthly paycheck for the summer....it's like a sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

flogen wrote:
    is the DS going for 130; thought it was going for 150...

Well, regardless of price, Nintendo have done what we all knew they would with the lite; when the original launched I knew they'd release a revised version shortly after that; the revision IMO isn't as impressive as the GBA-GBASP was, but it's impressive nonetheless... that doesn't take away from the fact that this is the machine we should have had at launch if only Nintendo had employed some decent designers from day 1.

I will get one I'm sure, but I have many things on my list before it
    Mines going for €100 if you're interested :)

sprinkles wrote:
    Mines going for €100 if you're interested :)

If I am to get another DS, do you really think it will be a DShevy (see they way I mis-spelt that to make it cooler?)? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Visc

Hmm, i think this may be my chance to get DS with this new... Lite version.

I would have gone for the PSP were it not for the immense price tag and lack of any 'must have' games. Plus, FF3 is coming out in 3D on the DS. I mean, come on, that awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

flogen wrote:
    If I am to get another DS, do you really think it will be a DShevy (see they way I mis-spelt that to make it cooler?)? :D
    I wish I was as cool as you :D

Anyway, back to brain Age.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I've an original DS and whilst I wouldn't mind a Lite to replace the brick like object I currently have, I can't justify €150 to replace something that's working fine. Speaking of the price lets start the bets at €169.99 in Irish stores!, argh!, welcome to Treasure Ireland me mateys!.

i just hate holding the DS normally. it feels so crappy. and the d-pad and buttons are all terrible.

Laguna wrote:
    I've an original DS and whilst I wouldn't mind a Lite to replace the brick like object I currently have, I can't justify €150 to replace something that's working fine. Speaking of the price lets start the bets at €169.99 in Irish stores!, argh!, welcome to Treasure Ireland me mateys!.

Laguna starts a slow process of tapping the old DS off a wall, each day tapping it with more and more force until...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Well feck yis all anyway, now I want one!

But I already have a Jap PSP, which I spent a fortune on, damn my impulse buying! But if I were to go for a DS, I'm guessing the Lite would be the sensible option, even if it's 20 or 30 quid more expensive, right?

Somebody try persuade/dissuade me, quick!

qz wrote:
    Well feck yis all anyway, now I want one!

But I already have a Jap PSP, which I spent a fortune on, damn my impulse buying! But if I were to go for a DS, I'm guessing the Lite would be the sensible option, even if it's 20 or 30 quid more expensive, right?

Somebody try persuade/dissuade me, quick!

I'd have to hold one in my hands, but if the improvements in design are as good as they look (and as good as people have reported), then yes it would be worth it.

Playing GBA games and stuff like Mario Kart DS can be somewhat uncomfortable because of the shape of the DShevy; hopefully that's something the lite has remedied and if it has it's well worth the extra 20 quid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i shall get it but only for supermario bros [the new one]
    and princess peach and other such games

that yoshi game too, stylus fun

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I might pick one up if GAME are doing the same kind of trade-in deal they did with the original GBA and GBA:SP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I am salivating as we speak. Its going to be a good summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

GAME are selling the Lite for €109 if you trade in your old DS. Think I'll give it a miss.

GAME are selling the Lite for €109 if you trade in your old DS. Think I'll give it a miss.

€40 trade in for a DS is pretty poor, you'd get a better price on ebay or adverts.ie; considering that the old DS isn't dead technology (like, say the Xbox now is), you'd at least get half the selling price for it... 60-70 I'd say
    Saying that, Game are probably keen to avoid the mistakes of before; when I worked there they did the GBASP trade ins for a DS and were lumbered with a load of GBA's... more than they could sell at the price they were going for.

its 50 euro trade in. console will be 159.99 :rolleyes:

evad_lhorg wrote:

Bloody country, isn't it supposed to be 150?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

evad_lhorg wrote:

Yeah, I just heard that from a mate in Game. That's over $200. It's $130 in the US.

I'd love to know why this stuff is costing more here, and particularly why it's costing more here versus the regular price in Europe. Isn't that illegal now?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

160 euro??!! hopefully i can find a mate to pick one up for me in the states for 100 euro (130$)

its no wonder i havent bought a single game or console in an irish store since i discovered the internet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

It's 149.99 in Gamestop for the Lite. How can Game just stick on an extra tenner?

I've held and played a Lite. They are amazing. The screen is so much sharper and brighter. Also the way the buttons are placed they feel like they'd be a lot more comfortable for long Mario Kart sessions. My thumb tends to cramp up on my current DS. They're so much smaller and sleeker looking. I'm so tempted... but not a black or white one. I wouldn't mind the enamel navy. It's a gorgeous colour. The turquoisey one doesn't look very nice in real life. It looks a lot better on Lik Sang and Play Asia than when you see it.

Advertisement