Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky HD

• 22-05-2006 2:02pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well thread title says it all.
    Just got it installed and the picture quality is great, watching BBC HD, super quality.
    Bummer is even though my magic eyes work my old remotes don't

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Just got mine installed today , the guy installing it left it set up wrong , had the output set to 1080I all the time instead of auto , so I was missing half the picture on the HD channels ,
    Sorted in myself , good job I know about these things ,
    The picture is excellent , just finished watching a national geo thing about the kalahari desert and the picture was stunning on my panasonic LCD,

I dont have BBC HD though , where did you get that from , its not one of the sky HD channels ,
    How do you tune it in ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I dont have BBC HD though , where did you get that from , its not one of the sky HD channels ,
    How do you tune it in ?

http://www.lyngsat.com/astra2d.html

v
    2/3, I think, could be 5/6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

I am thinking of getting this in Sept. how much did you pay for instalation and the box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

TommyGun wrote:
    I am thinking of getting this in Sept. how much did you pay for instalation and the box?

Im the same as Tommy, looking to get this installed

If you have normal sky at €30 a month, how much to get HD installed and up and running (total cost?)

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

It's like 400/500 for the HD set top box AFIK. Not cheap, especially after forking out for the tv.

• Advertisement

449 for the new HD box - which is a sky+box also -, installation was free
    sub to receive the HD channels is €15/month thereafter

the national geographic and discovery programs are breathtaking in HD, the BBC preview channel is equally so
    the sky one HD channel is a mixture of SD upscaled so not that great, however the native HD shows like 24 are fantastic
    a couple of the HD programs are also broadcast in 5.1 and I have the optical out on the HD box plugged into my amp so that sound improvement is welcomed
    with sky+, if you record a HD program its recorded in HD, bit obvious but worth pointing out
    all other channels are better quality purely because of using the HDMI lead

its the world cup I'm mostly looking forward to

Thanks for the reply!!!

So 450 for sky plus aswell and 15 month thereafter, Pretty okay then/

Anyone know?
    1.whether the hard drive on the HD box can be increased in size over the 160
    2.can the sky box connect to an external hard drive and therefore you could save the recorded tv to the external hard drive

is this possible?

Weighing up the options of buying a media centre pc as I held off on sky+, but could this be enough for me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Is the new box clever enough to use broadband to call home (or whatever its called!), or do you still need a stupid phone line?.

There are ethernet ports on the thing right?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Is the new box clever enough to use broadband to call home (or whatever its called!), or do you still need a stupid phone line?.

There are ethernet ports on the thing right?.

There's an ethernet port on the back but it's not used at the moment.

If you don't have a phone line then Sky would install the old boxes with a small extra charge, they'll probably do the same thing for the HD box, without a phone line you won't be able to order box-office etc.
    1.whether the hard drive on the HD box can be increased in size over the 160
    2.can the sky box connect to an external hard drive and therefore you could save the recorded tv to the external hard drive
    The box has a 300GB HD already, only 160 is available for user recording, the rest will probably be used for Box-office video on demand.

The box had a USB and a SATA port, which may be used to expand its storage in the future but it extremely unlikely it will ever let you transfer unencrypted video digitally to a PC or other device.

can the sky box connect to an external hard drive and therefore you could save the recorded tv to the external hard drive
    it extremely unlikely it will ever let you transfer unencrypted video digitally to a PC or other device.

that second quote could be right, but it could be wrong also
    what I can say is that the HDbox will let you transfer non-copyrighted recordings to a vcr/dvd recorder via scart so in theory if you had a PC that accepts any a/v combination in and you bought the appropriate scart/any av adaptor then the answer is yes, messy but yes

to answer another question about a bigger hard drive, search some uk forums and you will get an answer.
    with this new baby, it shows you how much of your 160gig is used by whatever program you want to tape, so for example I taped Tommy Tiernan last night and it did not register on the disc space, however an hour of HD took up 5%, so your usage will be determined by what you tape
    sd = lots
    hd = 20 hours max

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

i have a phillips plasma with a dvi connection and was wondering if i can hook this up to the sky hd box with a dvi to hdmi cable...any info please..thx

hoganpoly wrote:
    i have a phillips plasma with a dvi connection and was wondering if i can hook this up to the sky hd box with a dvi to hdmi cable...any info please..thx
    Yes, but you'll have to take care of the audio in some other way.

You can buy either a hdmi-dvi cable or use a hdmi/dvi adaptor on an existing cable. check out maplins, keene.co.uk or even ebay for pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

thx ph for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mandoon

Andy,

Yet again someone is trying to steal BBC HD for nothing. Possibly you will have to pay like everyone else which no problem for someone like you because of all the money you sponge of the dole. I am sick and tired of people like you who obviously dont have a TV licence taking advantage of the good decent licence payers of this country. Yet again I have to say "Shame on you Andy". You are becoming very tiresome on this forum so I again recommend doing the right thing and taking a trip down the job centre.

MANDOON:rolleyes:

PS Just remember in life you dont get something for nothing you sponger.

andy1249 wrote:

How do you tune it in ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

o_O

Is there much content available in HD?

Mandoon , Are you referring to me ? If so I think you have your wires crossed. :mad: On second thoughts scratch that , just looked up your post history , would seem you are a fake ID created just to heckle me ,
    I guess I should be flattered in a way !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 anothermandoon

Andy1249

I don't think mandoon was trying to flatter you, I think he just wanted to try and shut you up. People come to sites like this to seek advise on matters, that is good advise by the way, not the pie in the sky dithering comments you pass in most of your threads.

Why don't you do us all a favour and keep quiet for a while that way some genuine help may be given by other more knowledgable and gracious members.

Anothermandoon (member of the knights of Doon)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭JuncoPartner

What are the inputs/outputs on the sky hd boxes?

Here you go ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭JuncoPartner

legend, fair play to ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

slave1 wrote:
    449 for the new HD box - which is a sky+box also -, installation was free
    sub to receive the HD channels is €15/month thereafter

its the world cup I'm mostly looking forward to

So after the box you are only paying €15 per month??
    I presume you mean €15 per month after you pay the rest....
    for sports/movies etc.

So how much is it with sports/movies....does it increase in price with the HD box?

When are they starting Sky Sports HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MM3

Anyone know a store thats got a live feed of Sky HD? I'd like to see it in the flesh before commiting to it...

Thanks,

M

MM3 wrote:
    Anyone know a store thats got a live feed of Sky HD? I'd like to see it in the flesh before commiting to it...

Thanks,

M

You can see it yourself on your PC. You can download HD clip at the following addresses.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hdvideo/contentshowcase.aspx

http://www.sky.com/hd/HD-Video-Downloads.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MM3

Thanks Tommy - I've seen the online clips but I'd actually like to see it live, preferably fed to a plasma...

M

MM3 wrote:
    Thanks Tommy - I've seen the online clips but I'd actually like to see it live, preferably fed to a plasma...

M

I was in the Sony center in Cork, they had HD playing on one of the TV's. There may be one near you.

I did not get to look at it very long as the GF was with me, not as impressive as i expected, but still very good. I did not get to compare it with a normal SD. I could see alot more detail in the foreground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Sky HD looks amazing. Ordered it myself but will have to wait until September before installation :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Yeah same here. September is the next available install date. Guess what day in september... the 11th I kid u not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Just wondering I have a regular (not SKY+) box and signed up to the Euro15month for all the channels deal. If at the end of the trial period I go to the Euro21.50/month package. Then I order the box and subscribe to HD at Euro15 a month. Do I also have to pay for a SKY+ subscription. Looked on www.sky.com and it said I did but that is for the UK.

I have a similar question to Kmick,

Im currently on the €31 option (no movies,sport or sky+) - but need multiroom now as I have 2 living rooms and the bedroom to be connected.

My question would be - do I get multiroom with the new HD box?

i.e would I be better getting the HD box to cover all angles instead of getting sky+ and multiroom?
    Confused?
    help?

• Advertisement

Currently To have a HD box with recording you need both a Sky+ and a HD subscription active.

Sky+ is 15 per month (But is waived if you subscribe to 2 or more premium channels ie Sky movies or Sky Sports)
    Sky HD is another 15 per month and is not waived.

Advertisement