Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

damp mouldy walls

Options
  • 22-05-2006 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

I'm have been renting in the same place for the last number of years.

It has always been damp, but recently it's got a lot worse. Especially in my bedroom. The head of my bed is just underneath the window frame, the window tends to get damp, but I just noticed that the wall under the window is now also really damp - with black spot.

I scrub this on Thursday only to notice that it has now all returned.

Is there anything that can be done, I guess this is really bad health wise to be sleeping beside such dampness.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You might want to ask over on the Gardening/DIY forum to see if any of the DIY folks can give you some tips.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=116

Excess damp my friend.

Air out your room more often and turn on the heating a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Your room needs permanent ventilation, if it has one make sure it's not blocked, If the walls affected are exterior walls and you rekon it's from rain etc, you can buy a sealant that you apply outside, actually aldi had tins of sealant on sale cheap last week, but more than likley the problem is no fresh air circulation.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

air out the room.
    go to a paint shop, there is a clear sealant you can get to paint over it, slows the process down.
    moving to DIY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

your landlord has to provide a place for you which isnt damp, talk to him about getting it sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

ferdi wrote:
    your landlord has to provide a place for you which isnt damp, talk to him about getting it sorted
    Not meaning to question you but do you have a reference for this?

My flat is also damp & mouldy. I'd like to have something to show the landlord in case we ask him to get it fixed (thinking of just leaving instead, less trouble ...).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i have no reference to that at all but i was under the impression that a landlord had to provide accomodation fit for human habitation, ie: no damp walls. i could be completely wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

first off, your landlord is the one who should be fixing this.

what type of wall is it?
    you need to find where the water is coming from and seal that with silicone. most walls are plasterboard. it's very simple to replace. just rip the damp one out, seal the leak (some polybond may be needed, but silicone should also work. just make sure that the area you are sealing has dried out before applying the silicone and/or polybond), and cut the new piece of plasterboard to size. most houses built in the last 30 years have the plasterboard nailed to the wall and it's very easy to just nail the new piece in. if it isn't nailed in, but is held in place by (damn. i can't think of the name of that stuff. your local hardware should know the stuff), it's just as easy to replace.

or you could just hire someone to do it and bill your landlord.

Advertisement