Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accuracy International Rifle

Options
  • 22-05-2006 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭

Okay I have spotted a good second hand 7.62MM Accuracy International.

Now I have several licenses at the moment including 2 Pistols Licensed one for the Glock 17 and the other for the CZ75.

Would the above be classed as a Military Calibre weapon as from using this in the army it is a sniper rifle but I want to get fully back into fullbore shooting...

Any idea's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭oldzed

is it an AE or AW ? , 5 shot or 10 shot mags?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

well as you say 7.62mm is indeed the military calibre but in fairness what could you do with that that you couldn't do with other guns i.e. .308 so I would suggest having a chat with your supernintendo and asking him what your chances are.

if he says "No" ask why and inform him he found you safe enough to have 2 pistols so what has changed about your character that you shouldn't have this rifle?

If he says "military" calibre ask why a "military" calibre cant be licenced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

the AE with 8 Round box...

Vegeta wrote:
    well as you say 7.62mm is indeed the military calibre but in fairness what could you do with that that you couldn't do with other guns i.e. .308 so I would suggest having a chat with your supernintendo and asking him what your chances are.

if he says "No" ask why and inform him he found you safe enough to have 2 pistols so what has changed about your character that you shouldn't have this rifle?

If he says "military" calibre ask why a "military" calibre cant be licenced

True I could say it is 308 ;) I get on pretty well with him as does my father as we hold quite a few guns at the moment..correct me if I am wrong but did'nt a Shooter in Dublin have to goto court over his application for a 308 ?

Maybe I should apply for a Barret .50, would that be classed as Military :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

woody wrote:
    Maybe I should apply for a Barret .50, would that be classed as Military :D
    It might be classed as 'military' in a few counties (Armagh, Dundalk etc) but not in most others. :D

Serious answer now, that Accuracy Int. rifle is very green and very military looking regardless of its calibre, I know if I saw someone arriving to shoot the Imperial at Bisley with one a few eyebrows would be raised, mine included.

I was at Bisley the year the British Army did their trials for it there about 93/94 (and was lucky enough to have a shot with it) and its a fantastic bit of kit for what it was designed for; long range sniping, and believe me the crowd that gathered to see this 'space-age rifle', as it was then, was unbelievable.

Now if you are applying for it for deerhunting (or elephant hunting) I could understand but it might be pushing it applying for it for target shooting. Just my 2 cents worth...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Whether you describe the rifle as 7.62mm or .308 depends on what's stamped on the barrel. Any other approach could lead to hassles in the long run. There have been plenty of .308 licences granted in the last 2 years.

Now if you are applying for it for deerhunting (or elephant hunting) I could understand but it might be pushing it applying for it for target shooting.

Depends what discipline of target shooting is involved, it wouldn't be a mad choice for F-Class, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

woody wrote:
    True I could say it is 308 ;) I get on pretty well with him as does my father as we hold quite a few guns at the moment..correct me if I am wrong but did'nt a Shooter in Dublin have to goto court over his application for a 308 ?

I didn't mean apply for a 7.62NATO disguised as a .308, i meant that if people are getting licenced .308s elsewhere in the country it isn't that much of a leap to issue the 7.62.

What makes them safer than you etc, why are they allowed to use one and you're not

• Advertisement

demonloop wrote:
    It might be classed as 'military' in a few counties (Armagh, Dundalk etc) but not in most others. :D

That made me laugh very loudy hehe :D

demonloop wrote:
    Serious answer now, that Accuracy Int. rifle is very green and very military looking regardless of its calibre, I know if I saw someone arriving to shoot the Imperial at Bisley with one a few eyebrows would be raised, mine included.

I was at Bisley the year the British Army did their trials for it there about 93/94 (and was lucky enough to have a shot with it) and its a fantastic bit of kit for what it was designed for; long range sniping, and believe me the crowd that gathered to see this 'space-age rifle', as it was then, was unbelievable.

Now if you are applying for it for deerhunting (or elephant hunting) I could understand but it might be pushing it applying for it for target shooting. Just my 2 cents worth...

I did my sniper course with it well the AW, it is one of the finest rifles around although the sniper version of the .303" Lee Enfield is also a fine rifle, which I have done a little shooting with in the UK many years ago...

Rough and ready but effective ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

demonloop wrote:
    Colour apart, 'sniper/tactical' rifles are much closer (i.e. identical) to target rifles than deer/big game rifles.
    .308/.300 WinMag/.338 LapMag/etc, etc + heavy barrel + muzzle brake + adjustable stock + high-powered mildot/ranging scope + 'tuned' action/trigger, in Eeeeevil Black or Green = Sniper Rifle.
    Exactly the same gun in psychedelic colours = F-Class Target Rifle.

It all comes back to the tried and true 'Idontlikethelookofthat' firearm lethalosity scaling system. :rolleyes:

Rovi wrote:

It all comes back to the tried and true 'Idontlikethelookofthat' firearm lethalosity scaling system. :rolleyes:
    Too true, and that I fear might be the big stumbling block here. Paint it pink and you're laughing. Or hope your firearms officer/super doesn't know what one looks like!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Is the accuracy international AE/AW just a heavy barrel remington 700 on a fancy stock?

No, the AW (updated version of their L96) at least has it's own design action. I'm not certain about the AE.

The Remington connection is that Accuracy also made an AICS stock similar to that used on the AW. (Apparently it'll also fit an RPA Quadlite action).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

A friend of mine had one that he "made" probably using the stock as you described with remington action - night force scope- weighed a bit though.

Advertisement