Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving pvc windows half-open

Options
  • 22-05-2006 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

In my new house the pvc windows can be closed tight or there is a second notch where they are closed, but there is a small gap where air can get in. I'm wondering if it would be safe to leave the windows (upstairs obviously) this slight bit open during the day when the house is unoccupied? Or is this a big security risk? I can't see how they could be opened from outside, but then I'm not a burglar. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this...thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I had these in a previous house. Each window had 3 levers and each lever engaged into the lock as you describe with two notches. However, if you look at the three locks with the two sets of notches you will see that they are all identical. In the case of my windows, they opened at the bottom with the levers and locks on both sides and at the bottom. Its obvious that the distance the window is open at the bottom more than it is further up. When I locked all three levers in the slightly open position the window frame slightly warped. I left one window open like this regularly and the next winter I noticed a draught as the window would not 'seal' closed properly. From then on I just used either the two levers at the side or just the one at the bottom - never all three. I appreciate your windows may be totally different but it's something to look out for.

I never had any security issues with leaving windows open but I always fully locked downstairs windows and used turn the small key in the lock in the levers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

thanks for the info - mine only have one lever as they aren't that big. I must check them out though as I don't want them to warp either. I'd definitely be leaving the windows downstairs fully closed - unfortunately my builders seem to have thought those locks were not necessary - I just have the regular handles. I actually (naively) thought that the locks on window handles were standard, but I guess not.

You might be able to replace the levers with the locking type. Our upstairs windows didn't have the key locks - so it looks like they are not standard.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I have the same type of windows and know what your talking about. I wouldn't see too much of a problem leaving them on the second latch, but something like this could invalidate your home insurance.

A lot of insurance companies insist as well that there is a lock on any accesible window, so your downstairs windows could be a problem depending on your policy. I had a bedroom window beside a kitchen extension with just a regular handle. I got a replacement from B&Q which fitted perfectly with a lock on it. There was only two screws holding it in place, so 'twas an easy job. I'd recommend taking off the handle and bring it to a big DIY shop to see if you can get a match.

thanks delly - must have a look in b&q. TBH, insurance issues or not, I would prefer if I could lock the downstairs windows. If it's only a couple of screws, even I could manage that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Doolittle51

As far as I'm aware, it is against building regulations to fit a lock on a bedroom window (for fire reasons - At least downstairs bedrooms anyway).
    I know these regulations only apply to new buildings/new windows being fitted, but regulations are there for a reason!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

As far as I'm aware, it is against building regulations to fit a lock on a bedroom window (for fire reasons - At least downstairs bedrooms anyway).
    I know these regulations only apply to new buildings/new windows being fitted, but regulations are there for a reason!
    That thought has crossed my mind, secure the house as much as possible to prevent a break in, and in the event of a fire your fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yeah, they dont make the locks anymore, mine all have a button instead.

Regarding leaving the window open, we never do.
    as it would mean putting the alarm on partial set, but also I think you are giving someone the little gap they need to get the crow-bar in and jimmy the window open... :(

GreeBo wrote:
    as it would mean putting the alarm on partial set

This is true but it depends on where the alarm sensor is mounted. On some of our windows we had the alarm sensor mounted low down and on others it was highter up. The windows that had the sensor higher up would not require the alarm to be set to part guard. The windows that had the sensors mounted lower down would require part gaurd to be set.

TBH, the vents in your house should provide adequate ventilation. I'm guessing here but I reckon the second locking position is for windy weather to stop the windows from slamming closed with draughts.

Maybe it's because of regulations actually. The foreman on the site is very good on the regulations and everything is done by the book, so that could be it. The vents provide good ventilation normally - it's just when it's been a hot or sunny day the house gets quiet warm - but I guess the safest thing might be to just wait until I get home and then open the windows when I'm there.

Thanks for the info.

• Advertisement
Advertisement