Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio streaming Real Player to WMP?

Options
  • 22-05-2006 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I am allowed to listen to radio at work but do not have RealPlayer installed (nor permission to do so!) but I have discovered that I can install plug-ins for Windows Media Player :D

So my question is this...Is there a plug-in or update for either Windows Media Player or iTunes (have this installed) that will allow me to play RealPlayer streams (smil format)? BBV and RTE use these streams. I listen to NewsTalk and Today FM but would like the freedom of choice :)

I know about RealAlternative Player but cannot install this at work either :(

Mods, please move to a suitable forum in Comp if I've posted in the wrong place :)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I'm sending a copy of this thread to Net/Comms as I think they might be able to help more. I'm leaving a copy here in case someone can help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Whilst you mightn't have permissions to Add/Remove programs, have you tried installing RealAlternative/Media Player Classic on a machine at home and just bringing the contents of the installed program directory into work so you can extract it onto a drive and run it from there? Not something I've tried but it should do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I don't think Real Alternative plugin allows for streaming, actually i'm nearly sure it doesn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Jakkass wrote:
    I don't think Real Alternative plugin allows for streaming, actually i'm nearly sure it doesn't
    I've been listening to RTE streams with Real Alternative for quite some time. But I recently gave up and reinstalled RaelPlayer, because I couldn't "scroll back" anymore with RealAlternative when listening to a recorded stream - if I tried to go back a minute in the stream, the audio would stop. It used to work, and I don't know if the probem was caused by something that RTE did, or something wrong with RealAlternative, but it was enough to send me back to Real - the probem with RTE video clips not showing unless you edited the .smil files I could live with, but I needed to be able to scroll back and forth through an audio stream, and RealAlternative wouldn't do that anymore.

Advertisement