Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a corporate Antivirus

• 22-05-2006 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a good, well recommended corporate antivirus solution, for about 50 workstations(/servers).

Things I absolutely require are:
    1. The ability to push updates to clients
    2. Central console, ideally web-based, but standard is fine too
    3. The ability to manually decline/pause update patches

Nice to have
    1. AD integration
    2. Scheduled reporting
    3. Integrated anti-spyware

Can anybody recommend a solution?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I used to do all that for a living.

McAfee have such a system if you buy their corp package.

Epo is their central management system which will push updates across the network and has a lot of the features you described. there is no web feature in V7 although I believe there is a new version out shortly so you may want to read up on it.

You will want Active Virus Defense (or the AVD suite) if you are running exchange. Alternatively Active VirusScan Suite (AVSS) if you are not running MS exchange.

The Alternative is to go for a Trend Micro suite which is really cleverly done and quite a strong defense, it's better then McAfee imo.

http://www.trendmicro.com/en/products/suites/cs-smb-suite/overview.htm

You want the Client Messaging Suite. It gives antispam/antivirus/personal firewall. Although I have no idea about a web based central management system. You may also download a trial copy from their website.

g'luck (trend #1).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Cool, thanks. I might have a look at Trend.
    I'm not a fan of McAfee, but if it does what I want...
    I don't want personal firewalls on users PCs if I can help it, as I find they do more harm than good...
    Especially the ones that are obtrusive and constantly asking questions of the user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Symantec have corprate solutions that do the exact same (and better in my experience) I have found the reseource drain to be smaller then McAfee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

have a look at NOD32 and see what you think:

Its a great AV to begin with, decent spyware protection, excellent heuristics and light on resources.

I can put you on to someone who can get you a good price if you decide to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

BrianjG wrote:
    Symantec have corprate solutions that do the exact same (and better in my experience) I have found the reseource drain to be smaller then McAfee.

Heh yeh, well everyone has their faves. Even though the majority of AV progs run off the kispirsky engine (including symantec and mcafee) with minor changes ;)

I just like Trend because the level of defense you can have is prett slick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Nav Corp was running rather happily on the last site i worked on with the nice handy central management features. I never found a virus on a machine that did have it on it. Plus it can be rolled out rather nicely via active directory just incase some user decides "dis red wun is better"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

At the moment we have McAfee with the ePolicy thingy. No-one knows how to manage it (I inherited it) and I find it's interface incredibly clunky and the ePolicy thingy very resource intensive.
    It's coming up for renewal so I'm not sure whether to continue - and try to figure the damn thing out, or "upgrade" to a different solution.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd be comfortable enough with Symantec stuff Asok, although I'm not sure about NAV's anti-spyware facilities. That NOD32 looks good. I might try it out in a test environment to see what it's like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Symantec 10 Corporate Edition fits all of your criteria with the exception of active directory integration. It can be a bit of a pain where you have a large network (say over 1000 PC's) with lots of sites as it has no real support for mobility, so a user with a laptop will always pull AV updates from his 'home' site -- unless you do some rather inelegant shenanigans with your logon script to change his parent server based on his IP subnet!
    Active directory integration would be a GODSEND for SAV10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Stephen wrote:
    Symantec 10 Corporate Edition fits all of your criteria with the exception of active directory integration. It can be a bit of a pain where you have a large network (say over 1000 PC's) with lots of sites as it has no real support for mobility, so a user with a laptop will always pull AV updates from his 'home' site -- unless you do some rather inelegant shenanigans with your logon script to change his parent server based on his IP subnet!
    Active directory integration would be a GODSEND for SAV10.

you can set up roaming with sav10 for laptop users (allow it check in with multiple sav servers) , also you can set it to update from the internet when it is not on the lan and then when it is hooked back up to the lan it will check its parent server for updates (this is very easy to do)
    also the reporting added in 10.1 is pretty good for large networks, works very well

Advertisement