Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dowie Leaves

• 22-05-2006 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Ian Dowie has left Palace by mutual consent.

Link

No Real surprise there. I wonder who he will turn up with? Leeds? Charlton? Boro?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Id say Charlton, although there were rumours about him wanting to go north so suggests Boro....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Yeah, apparently he'd favour a move north to be closer to his family. It's a shame, cause he did a great job turning them from Championship relegation contenders to a Premiership team in 6 months. And in his first season as a Premiership they were 8 minutes from surviving on the last day of the season.

Can't say it's that surprising though with all the rumors doing the rounds. Plus, it looks like they might lose Andy Johnson in the summer, which would make his job harder next season.
    Good luck to him though, I always enjoyed his interviews and such when he was in the Premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

these are grim times for palace fans...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Not a big surprise especially after the Clint was talking about him and the chairman having a bust up. He done a great job at Palace and i think the middlesbrough job might be one which would suit him, what with Gibson being such a good chairman to work with and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

As a palace fan i'm disapointed but not surprised that Dowie has left. In his short time in management he has shown that he is PL quality without a doubt. Did a little miracle at palace which if didn't come off could have seen us in the 2nd Divison instead of the Premier League.

I doubt he will go to Charlton as they put Palace down on the last day of the season in the PL and there is a feirce rivalary between the two clubs. Boro is a likely destination and I think he would do well with a few quid to spend on players too.
    these are grim times for palace fans...

it's impossible to know that, if we get 8million for AJ and a decent manager we could bank roll an entire 11 new players to get us into the Premier League. Greame Souness is available...i'd love to see him at palace :rolleyes:
    Nah! We will get Martin O Neil instead!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He should go to boro, better potential then charlton.

Always, wouldnt surpised to see AJ following dowie to his next club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Always, wouldnt surpised to see AJ following dowie to his next club.
    They turned down an £8m bid for him from Bolton.

when he starts kicking up a fuss we will see how things turn out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I always wondered how Dowie ever managed to work with Jordan, he comes across a right arrogrant fecker. Every comment he makes is all about him, when asked about selling AJ he constantly remarks I this and I and not we (as in the football club).

i like simon jordan, he is adds a bit of spice to the mix, however i just read this on the bbc rumour page....
    Crystal Palace chairman Simon Jordan is lining up Graeme Souness to replace Iain Dowie as manager. (Mirror)

If this is true then i hate simon jordan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

i like simon jordan, he is adds a bit of spice to the mix, however i just read this on the bbc rumour page....

Souness and Jordan wouldn't last 10 minutes working together!

i hope you're right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I dont know about that. They are both outspoken, with very strong views on, well, everything. They could complement each other very well.

On the other hand.....they wont.

Though I read on some other forum, so take with a grain of salt, that Dowie is likely to show up at Ipswich. Personally i think another Championship club is where he should go, as going to a club like Boro, or Charlton where there are expectations of Europe my not suit Dowie.

Another option could be Forest? Dowie could be the perfect manager there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

It'll certainly be interesting to see how the next Palace manager gets on with Jordan. Jordan is so outspoken about the behind-the-scenes side of the game that he'll really need someone who will agree with him 99% of the time. I can see another recently retired player taking over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Big loss for palace! he'll be in the PL next year anyway! i think Boro will be his destination...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Iain Dowie was really beginning to lost the plot towards the end of the season. I think he did a great job at the start of his tenure, however the fact that he couldn't motivate the team for either leg of the play off final speaks volumes.

Iain Dowie was really beginning to lost the plot towards the end of the season. I think he did a great job at the start of his tenure, however the fact that he couldn't motivate the team for either leg of the play off final speaks volumes.

how excactly couldnt he motivate his players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

why, because they were beaten by watford, who then went on to hammer leeds in the final ? i think there was only 2 teams who could have stopped watford in the playoffs and both of them had been promoted already

Thats for sure, you'd think people would have learned their lesson by now, altho, having said that, he did a good job getting blackburn up. Maybe hes just a good lower level of football manager. did great in scotland, did good in divisions outside the premiership...maybe, just maybe

...maybe, just maybe

NOOOOOO!

Here's more on the story from Sky Sports
    "I have a lot of time for Simon Jordan and what he is doing at Crystal Palace,"

"We get on"

"It is certainly something I would be interested in"

"I'm ready for another challenge and Palace is something that appeals should it arise."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

how excactly couldnt he motivate his players?

I am a Palace Season ticket holder and the tail end of the season showed a complete lack of interest from a lot of the players. I was at the play off games and so many of the players were not up for it. Watford wanted it far more and if Dowie can't motivate a team for the play offs it speaks volumes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement