Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting shafted by Property Developer

Options
  • 22-05-2006 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this should go in this thread or the Accommodation/property thread.
    I'm buying an apartment with my girlfriend, there was a condition in the contracts that if they weren’t signed and returned within 21 day we would not be given a Kitchen Appliance allowance or a Tiling allowance. We had some queries with the contract, which the building company took over a month to reply too. Now the building company is say that we aren’t getting our allowances, they add up to 2 grand

Obviously neither my girlfriend nor myself are too impressed with this, legal we don’t have anything to complain against, well I don’t think we do, perhaps I’m wrong with that. I’m just wondering is there a good advice agency that would be able to advise me as the best way to try and persuade the building company to give us the allowances
    Has anyone ever had a problem like this? If so what did they do and how did they get on.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Is this the Earlswood development?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Noelie wrote:
    Not sure if this should go in this thread or the Accommodation/property thread.
    I'm buying an apartment with my girlfriend, there was a condition in the contracts that if they weren’t signed and returned within 21 day we would not be given a Kitchen Appliance allowance or a Tiling allowance. We had some queries with the contract, which the building company took over a month to reply too. Now the building company is say that we aren’t getting our allowances, they add up to 2 grand

Obviously neither my girlfriend nor myself are too impressed with this, legal we don’t have anything to complain against, well I don’t think we do, perhaps I’m wrong with that. I’m just wondering is there a good advice agency that would be able to advise me as the best way to try and persuade the building company to give us the allowances
    Has anyone ever had a problem like this? If so what did they do and how did they get on.

Thanks in advance

thats a new one on me.... but you really should talk to your solictor... without a copy of contract its going to be hard for anyone else to give you advice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Tazz T wrote:
    Is this the Earlswood development?

no It's Albany Homes

jhegarty wrote:
    thats a new one on me.... but you really should talk to your solictor... without a copy of contract its going to be hard for anyone else to give you advice...

Yeah he was saying there isn't really much we can do, I'm more curious if this has ever happened to anyone before and if they got it sorted.

It really does show how greedy developers can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

as far as I see it is plain and simple .. the developer uses the tiling allowance and utilities as a carrot for you to fork out the full deposit inside the 21 days. You had 'queries' on the contract and therefor didn't sign within the 21 days, therefore your lose your allowance.
    If you called the booking agent with cash in hand they would have responded to you immediatly.

I wouldn't worry too much about the tiling allowance, we got a tiling allowance for our house to the value of about €600 .. when we went to the shop to get the tiles (you have to use their nominated outlet) we discovered that we could get the tiles much cheaper by telling them we had no allowance. In otherwards we were quoted €2200 - €600 = €1600, with no allowance and as a normal punter the price quoted was €1200. I brought this to the attention of the manager and was told that the price for the allowance would have to stand.

Need less to say I bought my tiles else where.

• Advertisement

where was that? cause we have had the same issue, my girlfriend and I went to get a qute first time with voucher cost was 1500, second time without the voucher 625. apparently the tiling company are doing this to everyone. The Estate agent was saying that the developer will probable have to refund everyone 750 cash instead of the so called voucher

the Tile company ripping me off was Variety Tiles Chapelizod

Advertisement