Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railway Square Development - Any News?

Options
  • 22-05-2006 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know when the new development in Railway Square is due to be completed?

Can we expect any decent shops there? I know there was a rumour some time ago about HMV, but that seems to have been just that - a rumour. Please let it be more than the usual Spar/Centra/Paddy Power/Xtravision shopping centre combo!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

the last I heard is that they were hoping to open it in phases , starting from early summer , at the time all that was confirmed was a coffee franchise , pizza hut and a 24 hr super valu , the cinema is not due to be ready until next year which is too long to wait considering the state of our current cinema

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Any truth to the rumour that the new cinema will be owned by the same shower that own the current one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 irish guy 1979

Roen wrote:
    Any truth to the rumour that the new cinema will be owned by the same shower that own the current one?

yea I heard the same thing pity because we could do with a good cinema in waterford as the other one is crap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Jesus, if pizza hut is the ****ing anchor tenant then we should give up! :mad:

The anchor tenant is usually the first to be confirmed so if they don't have one by now... Not sure what size the actual retail units are though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Not ready? For feck sake, how long is it taking to develop this?

Ya, our current cinema is useless. However, last time I spoke to a good friend who was staff at our current cinema - he wasnt aware that his owner is running the new cinema. They applied for planning permission to do up the front of the current cinema but I aint heard or seen anything done about it since!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

If they are going to do up the Big Pink Box, maybe the owner has been reading our thread about Waterfords Ugly buildings.

I heard somewhere that they are starting to introduce Digital Cinema into Ireland. That would mean there would be no reason for any time delay between releasing a film in Dublin and elsewhere in the country.
    However, I think the first cinema to get this technology is in......................................................................Dublin??!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

Anyone know what's happening about the new cinema that's meant to be opening in Ardkeen opposite Godfathers Pizzas. I remember hearing about being granted planning permission but haven't heard anymore.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Jor wrote:
    If they are going to do up the Big Pink Box, maybe the owner has been reading our thread about Waterfords Ugly buildings.

I heard somewhere that they are starting to introduce Digital Cinema into Ireland. That would mean there would be no reason for any time delay between releasing a film in Dublin and elsewhere in the country.
    However, I think the first cinema to get this technology is in......................................................................Dublin??!!!!
    This was said well before this thread came :|

Oh and Waterford are bringing in a new system to play movies, replacing their current one.

Jor wrote:

Dungarvan (believe it or not) were the first to go digital. I think it's an SGC or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Roen wrote:
    Dungarvan (believe it or not) were the first to go digital. I think it's an SGC or something.

makes sense i suppose. it is a brand spanking new cinema

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Mossy Monk wrote:
    makes sense i suppose. it is a brand spanking new cinema

And its suppose to be out of this world.

I have spoken to many cinema buff's who have travelled down to the new Dungarven cinema and reports say the differences have to be seen to be believed.

So podge and rodge, Dungarven does actually have something to offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

Aquos76 wrote:

LOL

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Aquos76 wrote:

A digital cinema AND 9MB cable internet....thats about it ;)
    *cough*
    :D

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Cabaal wrote:
    A digital cinema AND 9MB cable internet....thats about it ;)
    *cough*
    :D

Yeah, I had forgotten about their 9meg BB....

Don't forget the feudin' with Abbeyside. Or Scabbeyside as the Dungarvaners put it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

oh yes, the feud. but thats local rivalries for you. amazing really how staunch some people are about that particular one but anyway,

Railway Square Development

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Jor wrote:

I'd be happy enough to get a cinema that occasionally shows films that appeal to somebody other than toddlers and 15 year olds. Thank god for play.com!!!

John

JMcL wrote:
    I'd be happy enough to get a cinema that occasionally shows films that appeal to somebody other than toddlers and 15 year olds. Thank god for play.com!!!

John
    Waterford Film For All is quite good, I go there the odd time if they have something I'm interested in. Saw Factotum there on Tue just gone, good flick
    Clicky here for link

Roen wrote:
    Waterford Film For All is quite good, I go there the odd time if they have something I'm interested in. Saw Factotum there on Tue just gone, good flick
    Clicky here for link
    Ahh, hadn't realised they'd relocated. I used to go up to last year when they were in Garter lane, but I'd assumed it was on hold while Garter Lane is being tarted up. I notice from the website that they're doing DVD projection, how does this look like on a big screen?

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭col o

JMcL wrote:
    Ahh, hadn't realised they'd relocated. I used to go up to last year when they were in Garter lane, but I'd assumed it was on hold while Garter Lane is being tarted up. I notice from the website that they're doing DVD projection, how does this look like on a big screen?

John

Sorry Where have they relocated?In the cinema in Patrick St.?

• Advertisement

JMcL wrote:

John
    It's not bad at all, put it this way it couldn't be any worse than the previous set up.

col o wrote:
    Sorry Where have they relocated?In the cinema in Patrick St.?
    From the website, they're out in WIT, in the main auditorium. I'm not familiar with the campus, but I'm sure somebody else can tell you exactly where.

John

Roen wrote:
    It's not bad at all, put it this way it couldn't be any worse than the previous set up.

True :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Roen wrote:

I think the Railway Square cinema will be run by Storm Cinemas, who as far as I know don't have any connection to Ward Anderson who run the Patrick Street sh*thole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Gadgie wrote:
    I think the Railway Square cinema will be run by Storm Cinemas, who as far as I know don't have any connection to Ward Anderson who run the Patrick Street sh*thole.

Jesus, I hope to Christ you're right! Although I have a feeling that as soon as they feel the competition at all, that crowd in Patrick St. will clear out. They are only capable of doing business when they have a monopoly, imho. I wouldn't put them in charge of my dog. They have insured that the boom in cinema that has occurred elsewhere in Ireland passed Waterford by! :eek:

Advertisement