Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a tv from the UK

• 22-05-2006 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I am currently looking for a lcd HDTV. I went to Curry's in Northern Ireland and one of the sales persons told me that only a Philips or LG Brand tv would be able to pick up RTE channels.
    Im looking at many online electronic companies which ship from the uk because many are alot cheaper than Irish ones. So i am wondering if the tv has to have a certain PAL tuner or something.(I dont know much about electronics!!!)

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

make sure british tv has VHF TUNER,vhf frequencys needed for ntl,chorus cable channels, most brit tvs have uhf tuner,you need uhf/vhf tuner in tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I was in Asda in Strabane yesterday and they had a 28" LCD, HD for £480. It was one of their own brands but I think it is a good deal. Unfortunately, with my impending nuptuals, I didn't dare buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Do your homework here and buy wisely. Argos are selling HD ready sets but they can't display HD pictures only scale them. Familiarise yourself with the terms HD Ready and HD Compatible, understand what they mean particularly in relation to Plasma screens. There are a lot of Plasma screens proclaiming to be HD Ready when they merely scale the picture to accomodate their 845x640 pixel display so beware.

Cheap can sometimes mean old technology, check the device has a HDMI input and the appropriate number of pixels - 1280x720. There are some sets on sale that seem like brilliant value until you check and find no HDMI connector.

Other pluses are a DVB Tuner for the freeview channels. Despite common belief it is possible to get these without a satellite box and dish in the ROI.

I have my own rooftop antenna and recently bought a Samsung LCD TV with DVB tuner, even with the pretty bashed up soon to be replaced aerial, I can receive many of the DTV channels from Divis in NI and I'm in Swords. Sony Bravia sets destined for the Irish market don't have a DVB tuner.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 27 teresa-villas

Aldi are doing a HD Plasma on Wed .. see here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054934078

Advertisement