Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cordless thermostat???

• 22-05-2006 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I was thinking of getting a cordless thermostat. Reason is in the winter downstairs is warm with the wood stove but I want the room of our 2 year old warm. Our normal thermostat dosen't kick in unless its up to 22 degrees then when we go up it drops. All I want is our son is warm as he dosn't like his sleeping bag or even a blanket over him, I thought I was being clever last year and bought an oiled filled electric heater and got a shocker of a bill. Over here our meters are measured once a year. Have started to keep an eye on the meter and ordered a night meter costing 115E's

Any experience on a cordless thermostat on the lines of this http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/rciautomation/p1.htm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

On a slightly different issue. Why just his room? Our 2.5yr old sleeps much better in a cooler room, and unless its a very cold night we have no heating on upstairs at all. If he gets cold he'll entually pull the covers over himself. Though most of the time hes too hot. Sometime if its really cold spell we'll put a vest or tshirt under his pyjama's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

On a slightly different issue. Why just his room? Our 2.5yr old sleeps much better in a cooler room, and unless its a very cold night we have no heating on upstairs at all. If he gets cold he'll entually pull the covers over himself. Though most of the time hes too hot. Sometime if its really cold spell we'll put a vest or tshirt under his pyjama's.

All good points, we use no heat in our bedroom but the wife wants him comfortable, must do more research on how warm a childs bedroom must be.
    When in Ireland I did notice people liked heating their bedrooms.
    Thank you JD!!!!

I was told that a babies/kids room should be the same temp as an adults. But then again not everyones the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I tried that many years ago with our eldest.
    Had a thermostat in his bedroom so that he would be warm in the night. We checked him in the middle of the night and he was all blocked up. He did not have a cold at the time, but was all blocked up and snuffly. We turned off the heat and he was fine again. We never had heat in any of our bedrooms after that, except when they were old enough to be studying there earlier in the night.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I'd say as a general rule keep the bedroom cool. There's increasing evidence that all these asthma cases in kids are the result of overheated (and underventilated) houses.

Overheating has also been implicated as a cause of cot deaths also so it's better to err on the cool side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Reyman wrote:
    I'd say as a general rule keep the bedroom cool. There's increasing evidence that all these asthma cases in kids are the result of overheated (and underventilated) houses.

Overheating has also been implicated as a cause of cot deaths also so it's better to err on the cool side.

I'd go along with that but as earlier said at the age of 25 months he is not inclined to go under the blanket/s and will not get into his sleeping bag.

Anyway thanks for the interest!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Greenman wrote:
    I'd go along with that but as earlier said at the age of 25 months he is not inclined to go under the blanket/s and will not get into his sleeping bag.

Anyway thanks for the interest!!!
    We weren't much help with your original query :o
    If you can get one of the zone controls mentioned above, that should do the job.
    Basically you want a wireless thermostat on the wall to control a thermostatic valve on the radiator. Also, I presume, a signal back to the boiler to switch it on when needed, instead of having it on all night.
    Jim.

Did he say sleeping bag? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Considering that those controllers on the rads have to depress a spring loaded valve, Id be wary of how long a pair of AAA batterys would last. You could end up spending more on batteries than feul

Just a thought

Dave_W

• Advertisement
Advertisement