Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2007 Avensis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

maidhc wrote:
    I really thought the new/remasterd avensis dash is awful.

Because:
    a) It looks cheaper than the one fitted to the Mk1 facelift, which actually is a lovely dash.
    b) It doesn't have the nice amber light from the orginal Mk2
    c) The eye level fuel compuer thing is gone back into the radio display.
    d) Mismatching plastics
    e) Horrible steering wheel.. you can see the mould marks and it is big enough to steer the Queen Mary.
    f) Ugly squared off uncomfortable rubber gearknob.

a) That's a matter of opinion I suppose.
    b) the display is still the same abmer as the pre-facelift
    c) The trip computer has been moved to the rev counter, and is still controlled from the steering wheel. it also gives aimated warnings instead of warning lights as on the pre-facelift, there is now a storage box where the old trip computer was.
    d) not quite sure what's mis-matched
    e) it's a plastic wheel, Luna models have leather if you want it
    f) alternative gearknobs are available

As for the steering wheel controls, the old one had 5 buttons in a line, it wasn't very intuitive, the new buttons are clustered together, and far easily identifiable by touch alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

just happened to drive a friends new 1.8 auto avensis today and was impressed ,.. nice and smooth, very quiet engine, nice features like folding mirrors... but since its a 1.8 id guess it would be thirsty!

the dash storage box is handy..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

EIN wrote:
    just happened to drive a friends new 1.8 auto avensis today and was impressed ,.. nice and smooth, very quiet engine, nice features like folding mirrors... but since its a 1.8 id guess it would be thirsty!

the dash storage box is handy..

I have the 1.8 Luna model but with the manual gearbox. The Luna spec is pretty well equipped, it has dual zone climate control, electric folding mirrors, front and rear arm rests, automatic wipers, chrome centre console dash, leather steering wheel and hand brake, nicer seats, traction control and auto dipping rear view mirror. The one thing I wish it had was cruise control but this can be fitted by the dealer afaik. It returns about 32mpg on average and I do alot of driving, 107k miles in just over 3.5 years. My girlfriend's father has a 1.6 Avensis and it is slightly underpowered as the body is fairly heavy. He is getting only just slightly better mpg from the 1.6 litre. The 1.8 litre engine is more suited to the car than the 1.6 litre but in Ireland the majority of Avensis sold are 1.6 litre.

The Luna model is also available with the new 2.0 D4-D 125bhp diesel engine if your concerned about fuel consumption.

bazz26 wrote:
    I have the 1.8 Luna model but with the manual gearbox. The Luna spec is pretty well equipped, it has dual zone climate control, electric folding mirrors, front and rear arm rests, automatic wipers, chrome centre console dash, leather steering wheel and hand brake, nicer seats, traction control and auto dipping rear view mirror. The one thing I wish it had was cruise control but this can be fitted by the dealer afaik. It returns about 32mpg on average and I do alot of driving, 107k miles in just over 3.5 years. My girlfriend's father has a 1.6 Avensis and it is slightly underpowered as the body is fairly heavy. He is getting only just slightly better mpg from the 1.6 litre. The 1.8 litre engine is more suited to the car than the 1.6 litre but in Ireland the majority of Avensis sold are 1.6 litre.

The Luna model is also available with the new 2.0 D4-D 125bhp diesel engine if your concerned about fuel consumption.

i wonder what the avensis 1.8 auto would do in MPG? any ideas?

i thought the 1.8 would do better than 32mpg?

if toyota did the 2.0 d4d in luna auto,,, that would be some car!!!

EIN wrote:
    i wonder what the avensis 1.8 auto would do in MPG? any ideas?

i thought the 1.8 would do better than 32mpg?

I drive on a mixture of good straight roads and some narrow back roads so this is where mpg suffers. But to be fair the Avensis is not a light car and 32 mpg is not too far off average but someone else may do better. I would assume the auto would do slightly less.

EIN wrote:
    if toyota did the 2.0 d4d in luna auto,,, that would be some car!!!

I'm afraid there is very little demand in Ireland for medium sized cars in diesel with an auto box.

• Advertisement

Avensis Luna D-4D now have cruise control as standard.

colm_mcm wrote:

Why not the petrol model Luna? CC is not that expensive to fit these days. Even cheaper if you make it a more main stream feature.

not standard on the petrol Luna for some reason (although auto lights now are). Cruise only €340 if ordered from factory though.

makes the diesel 125bhp a bargain at €33,235 all in. you wouldn't get much of a diesel Passat for that money.

colm_mcm wrote:
    not standard on the petrol Luna for some reason (although auto lights now are). Cruise only €340 if ordered from factory though.

makes the diesel 125bhp a bargain at €33,235 all in. you wouldn't get much of a diesel Passat for that money.

My guess is that because the diesel Luna costs about €3k more than the 1.8 petrol Mr T is being generous and throwing in cc too. Either that or the D4-D Luna model is more based on the standard T3 UK spec car than the petrol version.

Irish specs are unrelated to UK specs. Toyota Ireland pick their own specs AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:

A 1.9 Comfortline is around that price IIRC. Drivetrain isn't as nice, but it is bigger I suspect, and the cabin is a lovely place to spend a few hours.

BTW 4 years ago an Avensis D4D could be bought for 25k.

maidhc wrote:
    A 1.9 Comfortline is around that price IIRC. Drivetrain isn't as nice, but it is bigger I suspect, and the cabin is a lovely place to spend a few hours.

True the Passat 1.9 TDi Comfortline costs around €32k and is slightly larger than the Avenis but the 1.9 TDi has only 105bhp and while it is a tried and trusted unit, it is showing it's age now. The 2.0 TDi Comfortline costs a hefty €37k.
    maidhc wrote:
    BTW 4 years ago an Avensis D4D could be bought for 25k.

In fairness an Avensis D4D Aura may have cost €25k 4 years ago but the same Aura model now costs just over €30k new. It has more standard safety features, is larger both inside and out, heavier and better built imo. From my experience of owning both generations, the new one is not really surprisingly a superior car.

Bear in mind that VRT rates were different for 2000cc cars 4 years ago.

Also re the Passat, you have to get a Highline to compare with the Luna model in the Avensis. although the Highline has leather/alcantara, the Sportline doesn't come near the Luna for spec.

colm_mcm wrote:

toyotas are nice but!
    not so much of a bargain considering that you can get a volvo s40 2.0 Diesel
    136bhp SE ( more power than the avensis), with leather, cruise control, climate control, traction control, stability control, premium sound system with 6 stack cd, superior seating, auto lights, wipers, full electric windows all round, heated mirrors, chromatic mirror , ( auto dimming) alarm and immobilizer, 17 inch alloy wheels and low profile tyres, front fog lights, on board computer, for adjusting car settings,
    trip computer, 6 speed gearbox.

you can get this for 35k cash. the avensis is however a small bit longer, but having owned both cars i can say that the volvo s40 seating and comfort is far superior than that of the toyota avensis...

everyone to their own taste...

bazz26 wrote:

I'm afraid there is very little demand in Ireland for medium sized cars in diesel with an auto box.

i think ur wrong on this point, look at

hyundai sonata., supplied in 2.0D auto!!

ford mondeo supplied in 2.0D auto!!

new volks jetta, 1.9 also supplied with an auto box!!

also the base jag comes with 2.0 auto...

oh yea seat do too,,,

colm_mcm wrote:

about time ,, if they would add an auto box option to the d4d models, then they would be keeping up with manufacturers, such as

ford, volvo, volkswagen, hyundai,audi, kia, renault, seat, who already have mid sized diesel cars available with an auto box option in the Irish market,...

EIN wrote:
    i think ur wrong on this point, look at

hyundai sonata., supplied in 2.0D auto!!

ford mondeo supplied in 2.0D auto!!

new volks jetta, 1.9 also supplied with an auto box!!

also the base jag comes with 2.0 auto...

and when they become avail second hand they are snapped up!!

But how many of these have actually been sold here? They may be listed but have you enquired about getting one? I'm sure they are pretty difficult to locate in this country. Also the depreciation of a used Sonata or Mondeo auto would be shocking. Small to medium main stream cars with autos are not very popular in Ireland whether it be petrol or diesel.

Toyota Ireland don't offer cars anymore that they sell in very small numbers, for example the demise of the Camry.

:confused:
    bazz26 wrote:
    But how many of these have actually been sold here? They may be listed but have you enquired about getting one? I'm sure they are pretty difficult to locate in this country. Also the depreciation of a used Sonata or Mondeo auto would be shocking. Small to medium main stream cars with autos are not very popular in Ireland whether it be petrol or diesel.

Toyota Ireland don't offer cars anymore that they sell in very small numbers, for example the demise of the Camry.

toyota dont seem to offer much anymore ,, ur right... camry gone, but nissan also stopped making the maxima.......

oh yea forgot to mention citroen!! the c5 have sold quite a few in diesel auto
    opel vectra, also
    do a search on carzone, and u will see quite a selection of main stream cars in diesel with auto!

Irish people are still very reluctant to spend more money on an Automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

colm_mcm wrote:
    Irish specs are unrelated to UK specs. Toyota Ireland pick their own specs AFAIK.

The Uk avensis saloon and hatchback are the same price. The tourer is
    I,000 pounds extra. There is no I.6 available there. Prices start from I4,240 to 2I,5I5 sterling. The spec ranges are T2, T3, T4, T Spirit, and T I80. All are available in all body styles.

Looking at the irish range, its very small, very basic and very expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

does anyone have the new 2006 1.6 , i have heard its a bit under powered , would the 1.8 new shaped civic saloon now be a better bet.

G Luxel wrote:

The UK models don't have VRT added onto their cost. with VRT on a Corolla saloon at €4,555, A Corolla Verso at €6,444, an Avensis ranging from 5 to 10 grand, you can hardly blame Toyota for the cars being expensive.
    Because of VRT, the cost of getting all the extras on a car is too high for most Irish motorists.
    Toyota want to make money, do you not think if there was money to be made in higher spec models, Toyota Ireland would be supplying them? Toyota are selling the cars that their customers want, and the cars that are sought after second hand.

colm_mcm wrote:
    The UK models don't have VRT added onto their cost. with VRT on a Corolla saloon at €4,555, A Corolla Verso at €6,444, an Avensis ranging from 5 to 10 grand, you can hardly blame Toyota for the cars being expensive.
    Because of VRT, the cost of getting all the extras on a car is too high for most Irish motorists.
    Toyota want to make money, do you not think if there was money to be made in higher spec models, Toyota Ireland would be supplying them? Toyota are selling the cars that their customers want, and the cars that are sought after second hand.

erm, if volvo can supply these extras as standard, on for example the S40
    1.6 or 1.8 or bigger engine,, for a reasonable cost then i dont see why toyota wont..
    volvo give leather, large alloys, cruise control, climate, etc etc as standard on their SE spec.. which is not really that expensive, compared to what sparce spec you get with toyota.!

i have been a toyota customer for the last 10 years, and recently have moved away from toyota as "they cannot supply the cars that their customers want" in a reasonable amount of time,,

colm_mcm ur not a toyota dealer by any chance??
    :D

G Luxel wrote:

very basic indeed.

bazz26 wrote:

There is a new camry model available but not in Europe. The Maxima is
    also new in some countries but again not here.

colm_mcm wrote:

Many secondhand avensis have arrived from the UK, and nearly all hatchbacks. If the country is so awash with money, why are cars extremely basic? Distributors think we still live in the sixties where even door mirrors and hubcaps are still considered a luxury. And if VRT is so high, then why are there so many S class and porsches on the road? These are 4 or 5 times as expensive as an avensis and I assume that the spec for this country is exactly the same spec as for Germany with the exception of LHD.?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

G Luxel wrote:
    If the country is so awash with money, why are cars extremely basic? Distributors think we still live in the sixties where even door mirrors and hubcaps are still considered a luxury. And if VRT is so high, then why are there so many S class and porsches on the road?

Because Toyotas are sold at a particular price point and far outsell Mercs and Porsches. Most middle income families can stretch to an Avensis, few to an S-Class.

An Avensis is worth about 13/15k before tax. That isn't a whole lot of money to design, build and market 1.5 tonnes of steel, plastic and electronics!

EIN wrote:
    erm, if volvo can supply these extras as standard, on for example the S40
    1.6 or 1.8 or bigger engine,, for a reasonable cost then i dont see why toyota wont..
    volvo give leather, large alloys, cruise control, climate, etc etc as standard on their SE spec.. which is not really that expensive, compared to what sparce spec you get with toyota.!

i have been a toyota customer for the last 10 years, and recently have moved away from toyota as "they cannot supply the cars that their customers want" in a reasonable amount of time,,

colm_mcm ur not a toyota dealer by any chance??
    :D

Remember also that the Volvo S40 is based on the Ford Focus which is a smaller car than the Avensis. The S40 is slightly bigger than a Focus size car but smaller than a Mondeo. Good marketing by Volvo.

Lets put it into perspective. The basic S40 1.6S costs just over €28k new, a basic 1.6 Avensis Aura costs just over €25k. That is still €3k more for the smaller Volvo. The S40 1.6S doesn't have leather or big alloy wheels either. So with the S40 your getting a well kitted out smaller car.

Another example is the VW Jetta which is more like a direct competitor for the S40. The Jetta 1.6 Baseline costs almost €24k. Try kitting the Jetta with the same toys as the S40 SE and it will cost similar money.

I can't really see tyhe argument here. If you want an Avensis with high spec, you have a lot of choices.

Avensis 1.8 VVT-i Luna
    Avensis 2.0 D-4D Luna
    Avensis 2.2 D-4D Luna
    Avensis 2.0 Sol
    Avensis 2.4

All petrol models having the option of Auto. I can't see how EIN can say that an S40 (tarted up Focus) can be better value than an Avensis.

Let's compare a Volvo S40 2.0D SE versus an Avensis D-4D Luna with leather (€2,250) added:

The Volvo costs €35,650 ex works.
    The Toyota costs €35,500 ex works

Avensis has 12 months longer warranty
    Avensis has more airbags
    Avensis has electrochromatic rear view mirror, and self folding wing mirrors
    Avensis has bigger boot, and lots more space inside.

Apart from an extra 10bhp, I can't think of anything extra an S40 SE gives you that an Avensis D-4D Luna doesn't.

• Advertisement

what i was sayin was that with the volvo u got more spec for the money!
    but also shorter warranty. 2yr. there are compromises to be made when choosing a car , as you will rarely get exactly what you want with a standard
    make like toyota/nissan/etc etc.

you can easily spec a car exactly as you want with merc/bmw but the cost
    is obviously a lot higher.

the retail price on a new s40 2.0D se with met is a tad short of 38k.
    prices went up recently. s40 and focus = chalk and cheese.
    the s40 is not much shorter than the avensis.

the toyota 3yr warranty is excellent, without doubt, prob the best warranty on the market. people would buy a car with this warranty for peace of mind alone...
    i have owned many new toyotas in the past, and never had 1 single problem with any.

btw whats the resale like on the avensis autos? do they depreciate much?

drove one recently, and was impressed.. very smooth and quiet drive. the new facelift looks quite nice. whats the reliability like with the avensis autos?
    do they give any probs?

Advertisement