Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2007 Avensis

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

I can't see how EIN can say that an S40 (tarted up Focus) can be better value than an Avensis.

And?! Whats wrong with a Focus? Have you ever driven a new model Focus or Volvo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

Cosmo K wrote:
    And?! Whats wrong with a Focus? Have you ever driven a new model Focus or Volvo?

i just recently sold a new 06 volvo s40 diesel very comfortable car...

you cannot compare it to a focus!. as i have said, and other posters here too
    its like chalk and cheese.
    they handle totally differently. the s40 is a vastly superior beast. and bigger too.

lets keep it to the thread topic .............. 2007 avensis

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

EIN wrote:
    the retail price on a new s40 2.0D se with met is a tad short of 38k.
    prices went up recently. s40 and focus = chalk and cheese.
    the s40 is not much shorter than the avensis.

I disagree. I sat in the S40 before and could not help notice how tight rear space was in the car compared to my own Avensis. The boot on the S40 is also a bit small and narrow.

Regarding the S40 = Focus well both cars are based on the same chassis and share many engines. The 2.0D being from Peugot/Citroen. The S40 however has a nicer more upmarket exterior and interior aimed at the executive market. The old S40 used to be based on the Mitsubishi Carisma and used some Mitsubishi and Renault engines. It was pretty good marketing by Volvo at the time to push the S40 up a class away from the Carisma.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cosmo K wrote:

I've driven both the S40 and the Focus. I quite like both of them, I'm replying to a comment that was made that the Avensis is poor value for money, and that a Volvo gives you more value for money than the Avensis, which it obviously doesn't.

Also, the Avensis is a good bit bigger than the Focus or S40.

EIN wrote:
    what i was sayin was that with the volvo u got more spec for the money!

the retail price on a new s40 2.0D se with met is a tad short of 38k.
    prices went up recently.
    How does paying more money for the Volvo (which has less spec) get you more spec for your money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

colm_mcm wrote:
    I can't really see tyhe argument here. If you want an Avensis with high spec, you have a lot of choices.

Avensis 1.8 VVT-i Luna
    Avensis 2.0 D-4D Luna
    Avensis 2.2 D-4D Luna
    Avensis 2.0 Sol
    Avensis 2.4

Well i cant see much choice here when it comes to body styles and trim level.
    Wheres the 2.4 sol estate and hatchback? not in this country. :(

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    I can't really see tyhe argument here. If you want an Avensis with high spec, you have a lot of choices.

Avensis 1.8 VVT-i Luna
    Avensis 2.0 D-4D Luna
    Avensis 2.2 D-4D Luna
    Avensis 2.0 Sol
    Avensis 2.4

All petrol models having the option of Auto. I can't see how EIN can say that an S40 (tarted up Focus) can be better value than an Avensis.

Let's compare a Volvo S40 2.0D SE versus an Avensis D-4D Luna with leather (€2,250) added:

The Volvo costs €35,650 ex works.
    The Toyota costs €35,500 ex works

yeah lots of choice alright, if you want a saloon only.!!!
    wheres the 5dr hatch and estate with these spec levels?

also to correct a point, the s40 se spec, which is sold the most on the s40 model is a higher spec that the avensis, strata,.or luna .... and thats a fact.

the luna or strata, doesent have leather as standard, or 17inch alloys

EIN wrote:
    yeah lots of choice alright, if you want a saloon only.!!!
    wheres the 5dr hatch and estate with these spec levels?/

Where is the S40 hatchback? They don't make one so you don't have a choice here either. The hatchback is available with the Luna spec but the hatchback and Tourer Avensis sell in very small numbers in Ireland so what is the point in offering something that doesn't sell well. This is the whole point. Toyota only offer what they know they are guaranteed to sell. Pointless offering something that the majority of their customers don't want. The Irish market is very small in the big scale of things but Toyota know exactly what sells here and provide it.
    EIN wrote:
    also to correct a point, the s40 se spec, which is sold the most on the s40 model is a higher spec that the avensis, strata,.or luna .... and thats a fact.

the luna or strata, doesent have leather as standard, or 17inch alloys

The Volvo is a higher spec because it costs more. For example the S40 1.8 SE costs roughly €33,500. An Avensis 1.8 Luna costs €30k. That is a difference of €3,500. The extras may be standard on the Volvo SE but you are still paying for them.

bazz26 wrote:

The Volvo is a higher spec because it costs more. For example the S40 1.8 SE costs roughly €33,500. An Avensis 1.8 Luna costs €30k. That is a difference of €3,500. The extras may be standard on the Volvo SE but you are still paying for them.

my point being, the volvos come with this spec as standard, factory fitted.

with the avensis luna and strata leather is not on option.. from the factory.

the only way to get leather is to get is as an accessory fitted to the car when it arrives in ireland , fitted by a 3rd party not toyota.

EIN wrote:

Does your "point" change as people correct you? your point originally was that Toyota don't provide extras on the Avensis for a reasonable cost:
    EIN wrote:
    erm, if volvo can supply these extras as standard, on for example the S40
    1.6 or 1.8 or bigger engine,, for a reasonable cost then i dont see why toyota wont..
    Then your point was that the Volvo gave more spec on the S40
    EIN wrote:
    volvo give leather, large alloys, cruise control, climate, etc etc as standard on their SE spec.. which is not really that expensive, compared to what sparce spec you get with toyota.!
    When it was proven that Toyota offer more spec for less money when comparing SE with Luna spec, the point became availability of estate and hatchback models. when it was pointed out that the s40 didn't have a hatchback version.....
    EIN wrote:
    the point changed again!

There are many options available to Avensis drivers, ranging from big wheels, performance chips, Sunroofs, Satnav, TTE bodystyling, audio upgrades, leather interiors etc. Some available from factory, others dealer-fit options.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Looks like the Avensis will have some serious competition

• Advertisement

mickd wrote:
    Looks like the Avensis will have some serious competition

Looks like a Mazda 6 estate from the side.

It's ok, hardly ground braking design though. They could have been a bit more daring in the exterior design. Still much improved on the design of the current model.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I don't think it matters how good Ford make the mondeo, people will always have a negative impression of them. The design of the Mk4 Mondeo is dissappointing though, although cars of this class rarely look adventerous and succeed.

E.g. the 1993 Mondeo was light years ahead of the Carina (and Mk1 1997 - 2003 Avensis) in terms of its chassis, spec, and as good with its engines (excluding d4d) and reliability, however the mondeo's residuals bombed and the Avensis Mk1 resale held up very well until a couple of years ago.

I was looking at the Volvo s40 yesterday. It is a horrible little car. It looks like a focus saloon gone wrong. It definately isn't any bigger, and is tiny beside an Avensis!

The main rule of thump when buying the Mondeo is to let someone else buy a new one. They are good value second hand as long as you keep them for a long time as depreciation. I'm sure Ford will flood the market as usual with demos and pre reg models at launch so there will be a few bargins to be had once these are sold on after about 3 months. Also 2006 MkIIIs will be almost given away. The MkIV will still be a good car to drive and Ford generally don't have many reliability issues these days.

Regarding resale values of the MkI Avensis well like most old model cars depreciation always takes a dive when a new model comes out. Alot of people like to have the latest and greatest model on their drive. They brought out a last run edition of the MkI in Jan 2003 called the 1.6 Luna which had air con, alloys, etc. As soon as the MkII appeared the value of the old model dropped like a stone. Today you can buy a 2003 MkI for almost the same price as a 2002 model.

The difference is that the Mk1 Avenswis had very high resale value until the Mk2 came out. The Mondeo, as Bazz said, already has terrible residuals due to Fords agressive fleet sales and "sell at any cost" attitude. I don't think the new Mondeo will have a big financial impact on older models.

Advertisement