Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airsoft Guns

• 22-05-2006 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

I recently was thinking about buying an automatic electric softair replica gun which has a energy rate of less than 7 joules. They are sold over the counter in the North and would be good for killing some time:D
    Anyone know if they are fully legal to own without a licence?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭whupass

right now you can't buy airsoft guns in ireland (south) but you need a gun license any way.:mad: the thing about them is that they don't usually have serial numbers:rolleyes: which you need for a license. if your superintendent (gardai) is nice then he should let you engrave a serial number on it which can be used to get a license (and it's all LEGAL) this make-shift serial number can be used to get your license.:D the thing about gun licenses is that it makes it harder to get multiple guns and create your own collection.

do the guns in the north have the orange tip?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭IronWolf

whupass wrote:
    right now you can't buy airsoft guns in ireland (south) but you need a gun license any way.:mad: the thing about them is that they don't usually have serial numbers:rolleyes: which you need for a license. if your superintendent (gardai) is nice then he should let you engrave a serial number on it which can be used to get a license (and it's all LEGAL) this make-shift serial number can be used to get your license.:D the thing about gun licenses is that it makes it harder to get multiple guns and create your own collection.

do the guns in the north have the orange tip?:confused:

No they don't, for the time being anyway...

Has anyone tried getting a serial number engraved on an airsoft gun? I would have thought that even with this done, that the full auto capability of most airsoft guns would have scared off the superintendent :rolleyes:

yeah it might do that's one thing i've been wondering about that new gun act, will fully auto airsoft guns be legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 john22

I didnt know about this serial number thing. Is it an actuall gun license and the airsofts are counted as real fiearms?

john22 wrote:
    I didnt know about this serial number thing. Is it an actuall gun license and the airsofts are counted as real fiearms?

Yeah it's a real thing and airsoft guns are counted as real guns any way. It's really annoying because it means they are pretty much impossible to buy legaly. At least that is till that new gun act comes in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭-Strawbs-

When is the new gun act coming in? And when it does do ye think that they will be sold in the Republic?

a guy aleady sells them in dublin but you need a letter from your superintendent or a license to buy them. gun act should be a few weeks/months (yep i thought it was due on the 7th but hey that's politics) I know of another guy setting one up aswell. if you want the location then go on the Airsoft Ireland thread and ask the guy on page 5 because he hasn't told any body else yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭-Strawbs-

Alright thanks man :D

well as you already know you don't need a license any more, you just need it for the more powerful guns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Do you know where i can find info on this?
    I believe you but i just want to read about what the law applies too ect.

• Advertisement

go to the shooting forum and the firearms act 2006 sticky, it came in on the first and redefined what a firearm actually is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I have a question, can any ammo be fored out of any gun? like could you fire steel BB's out of any shotgun or handgun or are the guns made for specific ammo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Thanks.

you can get steel ones but they are expensive, mostly they are only restricted to diameter (6mm) but you can get .12g, .2g or .25g and use them in any. only thing is the joule rating changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

but are you able to get steel ones for any gun do you know?

yea they just have to be the right diametre

EDIT: thing is they would have a larger mass and would then mess with the joule rating and might mean the gun is illegal again.

http://www.speedytoys.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=113 (steel pellets)

edit: well aluminiun pellets

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 soupyryan

bump

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Advertisement