Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

simple starter ideas

• 22-05-2006 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭

hey folks, i'm having a dinner party on saturday (10 of us altogether) and i'm looking for some starter ideas. my plan is to have a selection of nice nibbley things in the middle of the table, for example crudites (sp?) with houmous and gaucamole, olives, crusty bread and chili oil for dipping, etc.
    i'm looking for simple things that can be made in advance to make my life easier ;)
    all suggestions welcome.
    cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭utopian

catspring wrote:
    hey folks, i'm having a dinner party on saturday (10 of us altogether) and i'm looking for some starter ideas. my plan is to have a selection of nice nibbley things in the middle of the table, for example crudites (sp?) with houmous and gaucamole, olives, crusty bread and chili oil for dipping, etc.
    i'm looking for simple things that can be made in advance to make my life easier ;)
    all suggestions welcome.
    cheers

Probably not what you want to hear, but I think a starter like that wouldn't really work for such a large number of people i.e. everyone reaching over everyone else.

Can I suggest an alternative? Piedmont Roasted Peppers - easy to make, cheap, tasty...a revival is long overdue...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

baked camembert cheese with some nice fresh bread to dip in it. Served in the wooden case. 4 of them would be grand for 10 ish. If you want to be more adventuous cook the cheese in puff pastry, camembert pie, serve with cranberry sauce.

Mussels, dead quick, cooked in white wine bit of onion / garlic, with a bit of bread. Cant go wrong.

Stuffed muchrooms, one or two per person, fill with a breadcrumb/ herbs etc. stuffing nd bake for a bit.

Scallops maybe, bit costly though for ten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Here's a dip...

Chilli & Strawberry Dip

Ingredients
    4 red chillis
    1 punnet strawberries

Preparation
    Deseed the chillis & chop into large chunks
    Place chillis & strawberries in a food processor & blitz until you have a puree
    Serve with prawn crackers or similar “crispie” things

This makes quite a bit of dip – you could always try using some as a sauce with a decent vanilla ice-cream.

Advertisement