Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

`Smart telecom speed dropping to >56k

Options
  • 22-05-2006 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I just signed up to smart in Galway, And I've had nothing but troube since I plugged the modem in. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the router (and this is probably the most likley as it's ment to be a load of crap), a think that smart are doing to limit my usage, or the what ya call it, con...something ratio, the sharing ratio. I plugged in on thursday, then I saw the slow connection of 400Kbps, about an hour later it dropped to 42 Kbps, and by the time I was going to bed, it was down to 26Kbps. I had to leave Galway on Firday, and when I came back yesterday night, the connection was all the way up to 1.6Mbps. It stayed at this until about 6 PM today, then it dropped right back down again.

I do use bittorrents, and I have left it on for hours, and I'm wondering if Smart has some form of blocking policy on this sort of subversive behaviour.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Where are you taking your speed readings from?

I haven't experienced any problems with Smart (once I eventually got to them).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

munkifisht wrote:
    I just signed up to smart in Galway, And I've had nothing but troube since I plugged the modem in. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the router (and this is probably the most likley as it's ment to be a load of crap), a think that smart are doing to limit my usage, or the what ya call it, con...something ratio, the sharing ratio. I plugged in on thursday, then I saw the slow connection of 400Kbps, about an hour later it dropped to 42 Kbps, and by the time I was going to bed, it was down to 26Kbps. I had to leave Galway on Firday, and when I came back yesterday night, the connection was all the way up to 1.6Mbps. It stayed at this until about 6 PM today, then it dropped right back down again.

I do use bittorrents, and I have left it on for hours, and I'm wondering if Smart has some form of blocking policy on this sort of subversive behaviour.
    The modem Smart supply doesn't like P2P app like bittorrent due to a bug in the firmware. It slows down and locks up after a while.
    Go here (http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/) and search. It has been discussed many times. You could also post your problem there and one of the Smart techs will help you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

munkifisht wrote:
    I just signed up to smart in Galway, And I've had nothing but troube since I plugged the modem in. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the router (and this is probably the most likley as it's ment to be a load of crap)

Thats indeed possible.

Alternatively it could possibly have rained in Galway since it was installed and the water could have penetrated the insulation on the eircom line. Why not ring eircom on 1901 and ask them if there is any water in their system ???

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Thats indeed possible.

Alternatively it could possibly have rained in Galway since it was installed and the water could have penetrated the insulation on the eircom line. Why not ring eircom on 1901 and ask them if there is any water in their system ???

Yes indeed I was talking to a friend of mine in Eircom yesterday and he confirmed this phenomenon - engineers living in fear of storms and heavy rain wreaking havoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭munkifisht

Well I've tried everything I could thihk of to get this workin, and guess what, no joy at all. I've stopped using P2P, I have no traffic at all during the day or night, and I rang Eircom and there is no reports of bad service due to water in the lines. If there was it would have drained off by now anyway. Oh well, Oxymoran and a half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Smart dont block anything, I would say i'm a moderate user of p2p and my speed is always great.

They have been having issues in some exchanges, have you rung tech support or posted on the support forum at http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What are your line stats like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

munkifisht, please call Smart themselves, in the first instance. Your problem doesn't seem to be widespread, so it might a simple problem they can fix over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

munkifisht wrote:

If you are using the Aolynk DR814 modem that Smart supplied, go here for a firmware update announcement. It certainly helped me.

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/announcement.php?f=3

Advertisement