Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting chrome tile trim

• 22-05-2006 11:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭

I'm using chrome tile trim for a tiling job in my house. Its probably aluminium but its the chrome effect finish.

I tried cutting it with a small hacksaw in a mitre box but didn't have much joy. My small angle grinder (in fairness it was €14 in Aldi) then broke while trying to change the disc (seems angle grinders always get stuck on me and something breaks when I try to force it), and my big grinder is too big. Either way a grinder is not going to give accurate cuts.

So any advice on best way to get accurate mitres with this metal trim? Could use my chop saw but don't have a metal cutting blade. Was thinking of trying a bigger hacksaw, but I thought I'd check for ideas on other tools or tricks that might do the job....cos I'm awfully fussy on my mitres and this is expensive trim (though it looks great).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

A larger hacksaw and mitre box should do the trick.

Just take it slow at the beginning so that you don't inadvertantly scrape the trim anywhere you shouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I used a baby hacksaw with a fine blade to cut stainless tile trim.
    Looking back I would have got a stainless disc for the 4" grinder and made the rough cut with that and any subsequent trimming with a file.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sakigrant

I used a dewalt grinder with a metal cutting disc on it. Worked out fine. Just take it slowly and watch your fingers.

Advertisement