Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Unionist hypocrisy

Options
  • 23-05-2006 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Ok, the Ulster Unionists for years refused to go into power with SF because of their terrorist connections. They even brought down the storment assembly because of their unfounded fears of SF criminality and spying. Latest news, however, is that they are now going into some pan Unionist group with the UVF's political wing the PUP and Mr David Irvine, a convicted criminal, just so they can get an extra cabinet seat. Seems a little hypocritical, non?
    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Ervine
    On May 13 2006 it was announced that when the Northern Ireland Assembly reconvenes, Ervine will join the Ulster Unionist assembly group, whilst remaining leader of the Progressive Unionists. Under the d'Hondt formula used for allocating places on the Northern Ireland Executive this will entitle the Ulster Unionists to an additional place. [1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Sorry, but my only surprise is that you're surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

As David Ervine would say "what the hell's going on, you know".

personally I reckon he would have more influence if he stayed on his todd, making the UU give him concessions every time they needed his vote, while doing the same to the other parties on close counts. With only one seat in the difference he could have easily kept both the DUP and UU licking his arse. Not sure about block voting or if he has a free vote but if he has to follow the UU line he may have to oppose some SF motions which he might otherwise agree with such as any future amnesties for former terrorists. I'll say this for Ervine though,despite his terrorist past he is certainly one of the brighter politicians up there and always tries to keep the dialogue going.

As usual though the biggest hypocrite is big sour puss himself, the red beret wearing Ulster resistance gun and ballot box democratic terrorist. Was funny seeing Gerry Adams nominate never man for first minister in Irish, closely followed by "I most certainly will not", a variation on, never, never, nev..ve..,never.jpg

Northern politics is not about principles, it’s about out maneuvering your opponent by saying you won't do something making your opponent say they won’t engage until you do it. Then you do it like you planned all along, gain the moral high ground and blame the other fella on moving the goal posts when he doesn't comply after you do what he asked. Its all goal post moving and anticipating where the goal posts will reappear before the others do.

Yes the UU are hypocrites but you have to lump FF in with them as well who support power sharing up north but oppose going into power with SF down here. Northern politics has its own set of rules, made up by whoever holds the moral high ground at that particular time. Personally I hope the assembly lasts as I love watching the exchanges between the northern politicians. Funnier than an episode of give my head peace. Might also expose Sinn Fein if their given a chance to govern and influence policies. Would act as a gauge for southern voters to see them in action. All the sectarian parties are going to have to deal with real world political issues now as well as united Ireland / keep the union politics. I wonder if they are really ready or even want to have to deal with health care / housing / economy and crime issues. although some of them know a thing or two about crime already.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You know I wouldn't like to see SF in power in the north for the same reasons I wouldn't like to see them in power in the South. It has nothing to do with IRA/Guns and more to do with polices that make no sense whatsoever.

On the same token, Ian and his ilk as just as bad. He could give a **** tbh and is more intrested in branding catholics as some kind of bugaboo while quite happily siding with terrorists on his own side.

Advertisement