Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

investment option's for my new born niece

Options
  • 23-05-2006 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hi

i'm looking to invest some money for a new born niece of mine(about 1000 Euros with annual top ups of 500Euros) and was wondering what is the best form of investment for an 18 year term.
    Choices i've considered are 1 - Post office
    2 - Bank
    3 - Building Society
    but their all deposit account with very low interest.

What do you recommend???

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

well, forget the PO and bank anyway, as they wont beat inflation meaning your money will effectivly be devalued!

Have a look at rabobank. Not just for their saving accounts, but for their investment funds too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

over 18 years, an equity fund would probably perform best.

if you put money in a post office or bank it will be worth about the same, in real terms, then as it is now.

maybe a prize bond would be a bit more exciting?

its a pity that the irish market doesn't really provide good savings options for this type of situation.

they have some great services in the US.

just one thing to be careful about is that an accurate address is always kept on the records for the account. i think money is frozen and put into a dormant savings account after a few years and there can be a bit of hassle getting it back.

overall, equity fund is best. you could maybe take a chance on an emerging market (europe) fund, as you have 18 years for it to get a good return.

as a generally rule, the more risk you take, the more return you get, providing you can afford to not touch your investment for a long-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭turbo

over 18 years, an equity fund would probably perform best.

if you put money in a post office or bank it will be worth about the same, in real terms, then as it is now.

maybe a prize bond would be a bit more exciting?

its a pity that the irish market doesn't really provide good savings options for this type of situation.

they have some great services in the US.

just one thing to be careful about is that an accurate address is always kept on the records for the account. i think money is frozen and put into a dormant savings account after a few years and there can be a bit of hassle getting it back.

overall, equity fund is best. you could maybe take a chance on an emerging market (europe) fund, as you have 18 years for it to get a good return.

as a generally rule, the more risk you take, the more return you get, providing you can afford to not touch your investment for a long-time.

Thanks for the info

I am best to go though my personal banks or who would you recommend??

Advertisement