Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vat exempt?

Options
  • 23-05-2006 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Are local authourities exempt from vat?
    I did a job for a county council and they said that they want an invoice excluding vat. They claim that they don't pay vat. Is this correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,372 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm sure they know the procedure, but would wonder. Get them to point out where it says this in law.

Certainly LAs don't charge VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I know some charites get VAT relief at source, maybe give revenue a call with and have their VAT number handy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Am near sure that if you are vat registered then you must charge the vat rate applied to you unless it is the provision of goods or services to another EU member where the rate of 0% will apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Rang the tax man who told me they must pay the VAT. They cannot charge VAT.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

if they are exempt then they must supply you with a copy of their VAT exemption form, theres a number on it that you will quote on your invoice

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,372 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kluivert wrote:
    Am near sure that if you are vat registered then you must charge the vat rate applied to you unless it is the provision of goods or services to another EU member where the rate of 0% will apply.
    There are some very specific cases where you don't charge VAT, e.g. some multinationals export all their production and operate under a special regime where they are not sharged VAT, rather than charge and reclaim.

But they do need to have the paperwork in order.

Advertisement