Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping a dog digging holes

Options
  • 23-05-2006 5:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

We are in the process of selling our house and our 9 month old chocolate lab has decided that he wants to dig the whole garden up. (he never did this before, little fecker!!)

Anyway, i filled in all the holes (theres 7 of them) with compost and grass seeds, which he dug up the first time he went out. Next time I filled them i put freshly ground pepper on them. this worked for 2 days until it rained and he dug them back up again.

My question is, is there anything out there that I dont know of that will keep him away from these spots, any spray or something, that can withstand a bit of rain.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can the dog be kept elsewhere, with friends or relatives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

My wife tells me that he might be sensing tension about you selling the home (dont know if that sounds silly to you or not but might be the reason) why he is doing something he hasnt done before and out of the normal. You might be able to get some sort of sprays but unfortunately Im cant recommend any. Have you tried other toys or the type that could keep him occupied like putting a treat inside a small toy (would take him a while and he would find it hard to get roll type thing) but have some fun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭danyosan

I'm afraid he cant be kept elsewhere.

I had thought about the tension thing myself, but labs generally love digging holes anyway, so I'm not sure about that.

I got him a bone to keep him occupied, but it just seems that as soon as he sees they've been filled in he digs them back up again. Its like I've spoiled his handywork!!

He is in the garden on his own for about 7 hours through the day so in all honesty, no toy is going to keep him occupied for that amount of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Im not sure but it could be just a phaze its going through.My lab did this for a while too,not so much holes more like patches here and there, but it stopped after a while.He digs a whole or two in the summertime when the weather is warm to sleep in as i think his house gets too warm in the summer for him.
    As long as the dog is given a good long walk in the morning and evening and not left for long periods of time on its own it shouldnt be a boredom issue.Giving a toy or a bone wont occupy a lab for long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

danyosan wrote:

He is in the garden on his own for about 7 hours through the day so in all honesty, no toy is going to keep him occupied for that amount of time.

Well, thats one of the reasons dogs dig holes. They dig holes to burry bones, to get out of something and if that doesn't work they just dig for the digging itself.
    Your dog is bored because he is on his own all day. Dogs love to be in the house with there owners and when that's not possible for some reason they have to keep themselves occupied and this is one of the things they do.

We have irish wolfhounds and are making our house ready for selling, so they have 1 acres of land for themselves now, and have to stay outside all the time. They were used to go in and out the house, but that has to wait till everything is back to normal. They started digging holes. It's just boredom and bones doesn't keep them busy very long.

There is not really a good solution for it except of course make sure he's not on his own for such a long time. Is it possible to bring him somewhere during the time that you're away? Maybe a friend. a neighbour or even a boardingkennel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

won't write about the leaving alone bit ...again ...done that to exhaustion ..

About the digging: If he keeps digging up the same holes over and over again, bury some of his fecies in them the next time, that should work.

He might just dig elswhere though ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Baffled

When my german shepherd was a pup she used to do that but it wasnt boredom with her. She used to dig at the same 2 or 3 places in the garden. I had a look to see if there was something she was digging for and I found some food in the holes. I covered in the holes and put some of her own droppings on top. She hasnt dug them since.

Also, my other german shepherd used to sit in the holes on warm days to cool down. We now have a little pool area that they can bathe or sit in on warm days if they get too hot. They actually love it.

Dunno why your dog is doing it though. Check if there is a regular pattern when he does it. Like at feeding time, or when ye are out of the house. Could well be boredom!

its actually a quick fix I'm looking for, the faeces on top sounds like a good plan. its only till the viewing are over then he can dig up as much as he likes...:)

Its weird cos he'll just dig them up just the once then leave them, he doesnt go back to them until i fill them up again.

Thanks for all the advice ...

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

danyosan wrote:
    its actually a quick fix I'm looking for, the faeces on top sounds like a good plan. its only till the viewing are over then he can dig up as much as he likes...:)

Its weird cos he'll just dig them up just the once then leave them, he doesnt go back to them until i fill them up again.

Thanks for all the advice ...

:) that's exactly what my 14 month old lab does - good luck & let me know how you get on with the suggestions

Just to let you guys know, putting his poo's on top of the holes worked a treat, he scratched at one and must have thought better of it and hasnt gone back to it since. Just need to try it with the other holes now. Thnaks to whoever suggested that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

:) must give that a go so - thanks for the update!!!

Advertisement