Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad smells/plumbing

Options
  • 23-05-2006 9:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, i was wondering if anybody has had any problems with smells in their houses\apts? We are getting a stink from behind our kitchen unit and occasionally in the bathroom. Have had plumbers in etc but nothing they have done has made any difference. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭oinkely

004, yes we have the same problem. Had the monkeys form Ballymore in lots of times and they don't seem to have a clue what is wrong. Got really cheesed off with them and went investigating myself. it seemd that the plumbing under the sink and bath is really poor quality. the sewer pipe is a 4" pipe that has been broken off at ground level leaving a jagged adn uneven finish. the waste pipe from the sink/bath is a 2" pipe. to get the 2" pipe into the 4" pipe and have an airtight seal there is a rubber bung that is supposed to seal inside the 4" pipe and has a cut out for the 2" pipe. Because they cut the 4" pipes with jcb or a shovel or something like that the jagged uneven edge doesn't allow the bung to seal properly, then when the wind blow on the part of the house where the waste pipe exits into the main waste water system the foul smells get blown back up the pipes, and because there is not an airtight seal the smell escapes before the water trap. You could try and get the builders to fix it but if they are anything like ours then goo luck, as they are a disaster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bloggj

hi ya

i moved in over a year and a half ago and have had this problem constantly.
    really is due to the fact due to the house being so small all the pipes are closely interconnected and leave the house not far from the back door, hence if there is any blockage at all even from the main drain you run the risk of getting the "backlog" in terms of odours!!! pretty disgusting! i have had a big issue with manhole overflowing over the last few weeks. I bought 2 bottle of Mr Muscle Drain Unblocker/Sink Unblocker and put it down the sink in bathroom and upstairs. Seems to have done the trick in getting the smell away!!! Worth a try. When I bought the house i didnt move in for about 6 months and found the smell alot worse when i was not using the kitchen sink
    so might be worth a try running the water for a period to flush the smell out.
    Afriend of mine is a plumber by trade (for 60 odd years) and he sighs
    when he sees the lovely plumbing in Charlesland.....leaves alot to be desired he says!!!!

Try Mr Muscle as a start!! 4.99 in Tesco...when i bought it they were doing
    buy one get other half price! must have been in demand from the Charleslanders!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

i have the same problem too. ive been in a 2-bed in the grove for a year and every now and then house begins to STINK (most recently over the last 2 weeks its got REALLY bad). ive sourced it to both the downstairs bathroom and under the sink in the kitchen. ive had trevor/dermot in loads of times to check the seals, re-seal it etc etc but it never seems to go away. ive been told sometimes (similar to earlier post) it is simply due to the way the wind blows and you get a "backdraft" up the pipes. so unfortunately all the drain-unblockers in the world wont fix it (believe me ive tried) - seems its a design flaw in the piping that is pretty hard to fix without re-doing all the plumbing.
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

eleMental wrote:
    i have the same problem too. ive been in a 2-bed in the grove for a year and every now and then house begins to STINK (most recently over the last 2 weeks its got REALLY bad). ive sourced it to both the downstairs bathroom and under the sink in the kitchen. ive had trevor/dermot in loads of times to check the seals, re-seal it etc etc but it never seems to go away. ive been told sometimes (similar to earlier post) it is simply due to the way the wind blows and you get a "backdraft" up the pipes. so unfortunately all the drain-unblockers in the world wont fix it (believe me ive tried) - seems its a design flaw in the piping that is pretty hard to fix without re-doing all the plumbing.
    :(

Glad it's not just me!! :o

Looks like (or should I say smells like) these problems are prevalent. My bathroom smells especially when it rains. I've raised this but tno resolution.

Again, we need to get a Res. Association underway ASAP. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=51429065#post51429065

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 004

Thanks a lot for this info. Looks like im gonna have a job on my hands with these guys. Did you get your problem resolved in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

nope. and my house was smelling like a sewer for the whole of the weekend, it really is driving me crazy (not to mention what my guests for brunch on sunday must've thought about my house and its pleasant odour!!!!!)

if a residents association does get going, this would be one of the Number One things i'd like to see addressed as im tired of sitting in what smells like a septic tank. that and the appalling drainage in the garden..... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Bertie

Ok I had the same problem and as someone said its the gasket for the small pipes going into the 4 inch wavin waste.A very simple solution is to remove the kickboard from under the sink and get a tube of silicone( I actually used 2 and pour it around the edge of the broken pipe and gasket) this although awkward and messy works a dream is about the only solution --otherwise the sink area will have to come out and you'll have to kango around the pipe and cut it level which is a huge job and really one for a pro which could cost €500.The downstairs loo sink will also have to be done as its the same story there.Try it-it is messy-- wear rubber gloves it works.
    And for gods sake dont use expansion foam as one person did --the foam expanded down the pipe and cost him €3000 as the entire drain had to be replaced which involved digging up the kitchen floor.

Advertisement