Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving with "bleeper" on

Options
  • 23-05-2006 9:35am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know that driving with a mobile - I don't have a hands free kit - turned on is illegal, but what about a bleeper?

I have to carry one for work and am concerned about legality.
    Any feedback appreciated.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

slave1 wrote:
    I know that driving with a mobile - I don't have a hands free kit - turned on is illegal, but what about a bleeper?

I have to carry one for work and am concerned about legality.
    Any feedback appreciated.

as long as you don't pick it up its legal....picking it up and looking at it is another matter...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This is from the Cellular world site:

What will be considered illegal?
    * To drive a vehicle while holding a "hand-held device" or mobile phone
    * To make or receive a call on your handheld phone while driving
    * To select or dial the number at the start of a call if you have to touch your phone while driving
    * To end a call by touching your phone while driving
    * To compose, send and read text messages while driving
    * To drive while using your phone held between your ear and shoulder
    * Using a portable handsfree kit while driving, where your phone is connected via a wire cable to an earpiece

Having a pager should definitely be OK, and even looking at it doesn't even seem to be specifically illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Note: It is currently not illegal to drive when using a phone, but it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

eoin_s wrote:
    * Using a portable handsfree kit while driving, where your phone is connected via a wire cable to an earpiece
    So using a bluetooth headset would be OK, then? Can't quite see the logic of that, TBH.

Alun wrote:
    So using a bluetooth headset would be OK, then? Can't quite see the logic of that, TBH.

I don't know if that was a definitive list at all, but couldn't find anything else online. Personally, I don't think that fully integrated car kits are much safer at all. The act of speaking on the mobile distracts you - not just the dialing etc - so it doesn't matter how the phone is hooked up to you or the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

eoin_s wrote:
    I don't know if that was a definitive list at all, but couldn't find anything else online. Personally, I don't think that fully integrated car kits are much safer at all. The act of speaking on the mobile distracts you - not just the dialing etc - so it doesn't matter how the phone is hooked up to you or the car.
    I agree 100%, I just thought it was a little inconsistent. Anyway, after watching last weeks episode of Dr. Who, there's no way I'm going to wear a bluetooth headset from now on :D

Alun wrote:
    I agree 100%, I just thought it was a little inconsistent.

Sure, the original proposed legislation was full of holes; it prohibited emergency service vehicles from using their radios and left out bluetooth headsets. I think the original version was that if you were "in control" of a mobile, you could be done. So, if a Garda saw a mobile on the passenger seat, you could be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

People still use bleepers?!

Advertisement